Home

Im really NOT seeing the DIFFERENCES in DEFENSIVE Attributes

This is a discussion on Im really NOT seeing the DIFFERENCES in DEFENSIVE Attributes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Im really NOT seeing the DIFFERENCES in DEFENSIVE Attributes

I do love MLB the Show, but for all the years that I've played this game, Im just not seeing the seperations and distinctions between different defensive fielder ratings and attributes. I remember playing Earl Weaver Baseball back on the Amiga, Yes Earl Weaver Baseball.....and it was amazing how such a game that fit on a 1.4mb floppy disk was able to capture such nuances and detail.

Players like Shawn Dunston, Ryan Sandberg, Ozzie Smith, Andres Galaragas, Kevin McReynolds , ect all demonstrated such subtle defensive distinctions in their strengths and weaknesses in many different areas which made it so much more dynamic, strategic and entertaining to have to manage these players.

In the Show, I just don't see these subtle distinctions and feel as if all players are simply slaves to predetermined animation outcomes regardless of their real ratings abilities.

I want to really love this game, but there is such a disconnect in the dynamics and ratings of the players
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Im really NOT seeing the DIFFERENCES in DEFENSIVE Attributes

Andrelton Simmons definitely gets to anything hit on the left side of the infield in my franchise and has the cannon to throw anyone out from the grass. When I spot start Ciriaco, a lot more balls get through and he doesn't have the arm to get as many runners out.

I use autofielding. I see the differences. I've gotten my team up to 1 in speed and 3 in fielding and my defense has become ridiculously good with their range and skill.

― Plato
Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Andrelton Simmons definitely gets to anything hit on the left side of the infield in my franchise and has the cannon to throw anyone out from the grass. When I spot start Ciriaco, a lot more balls get through and he doesn't have the arm to get as many runners out.

I use autofielding. I see the differences. I've gotten my team up to 1 in speed and 3 in fielding and my defense has become ridiculously good with their range and skill.

I can feel a difference in players defensive ratings as well. You can tell a big difference if you play a MILB game then play a MLB game. I also use auto fielding and I make the throws, imo you see more animations that way than you do using manual, although I only use auto because my health dictates me being hopped up on pain killers and other meds that effect my reaction time, otherwise Id probably still use manual. I do think auto tends to play more realistic though, and if you manual throw with guys with low ratings and use analpg you better be on the money or it will be a error.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
Rookie

I notice the difference on infielders but outfielders I feel no difference. I think because in the outfield I do not notice a difference in speed and have no problem getting to balls with people like Nelson Cruz. Then when it comes to their arms even if they are strong and accurate they are more times than not going to pull the person off the bag or they will not make the tag.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescottyglasgow
I notice the difference on infielders but outfielders I feel no difference. I think because in the outfield I do not notice a difference in speed and have no problem getting to balls with people like Nelson Cruz. Then when it comes to their arms even if they are strong and accurate they are more times than not going to pull the person off the bag or they will not make the tag.
Sliders are your friend. Unless you play online then you are **** out of lick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Rookie

In my experience with The Show (13, now 15), I see major differences in defensive attributes in my CPU v CPU franchise by zeroing out fielder speed and fielder reaction in the sliders. Give it a try. Only the best outfielders will get to long fly balls and bloopers, and the highest rated infielders will come up with balls in the hole.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I think there are definitely differences between good and bad fielders, but at the same time I can understand why some feel such differences are harder to notice.

Even in real life, people can form impressions that are different from what hard data show (e.g., Jeter even in his prime was never a great fielder but won Gold Gloves because of his charisma), and in fielding things like miscues don't happen as often (e.g., in fielding pct., the difference between good/bad fielders are only a couple errors in 100 chances) and things like fielding range is often only noticeable after being quantified through meticulous data collection...

... so it is understandable that a game like The Show, especially with a limited set of fielding animations available, doesn't appear to present the gap in fielding abilities as well as we may want.

I think the plays in the outfield has gotten much better now, primarily due to the way fielders have been slowed down. Speedy guys do cover a larger ground while slow guys often have harder time getting to the ball. With infielders, the ability gap is a bit less apparent to me, though I do know the attribute ratings and sliders do work the way they are intended. But if you play with good/bad players long enough, the differences are felt... especially in arm strength of SS, for example.

I would definitely like to see a wider gap in fielders' ability expressed in the game though. I feel there should be a few more ways in the game in which fielding skill gap is expressed.

Last edited by nomo17k; 06-12-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #8
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

OP failed to mention if he auto or manual fields.

I use auto fielding and have gone from Trevor Plouffe at SS to Troy Tulowitzki. It's not even close!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »