Home

First Baseman not covering bag issue

This is a discussion on First Baseman not covering bag issue within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
First Baseman not covering bag issue

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.gan...5535194824943/

This issue is really starting to bug me. On this play Holt had a decent shot at throwing out the runner, at least it would've been close, but the 1B isn't covering the bag. I've had this happen a couple times over the last few days. Latest was a shot in the hole that Simmons snagged, threw to Wong at second for one and we had a shot at a double play but Adams was off the bag.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 06-22-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: First Baseman not covering bag issue

I saw it for the first time yesterday, on a ball fielded deep in the hole at short. Although, I think the runner would have been easily safe anyway. It definitely seems like the first baseman had conceded the hit.

I'll post a video later.

Edit: here is the 1 time I've seen this in hundreds of games... also, I think the play was going to be a hit all the way, easily. You can see I switched to the SS very late, after I figured the 3B couldn't get there. I also thought I had went into replay and viewed/recorded it, but I guess not...

https://youtu.be/-E5cUJBI1S4

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Last edited by thaSLAB; 06-22-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Anyone have a consensus on what is causing this yet? It can't just randomly be happening, can it?

I think I've seen it twice out of all the games I've played, so I know it's there.

It's tough to patch - fix for next year if the cause can't be nailed down.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I actually saw it for the first time today.

In my instance it was a short pop up that the pitcher could have caught in the air if he had gotten off the mound quick enough. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

My personal guess is that this issue is not specific to the first baseman, but it is somehow caused by the new fielding paradigm which has removed some of the needless haste and urgency that we've observed before in non-urgent situations. That in general is a vast improvement (than seeing fielders always making plays as if they need to get to the nearest bathroom).

What I have been observing at times is that fielders in certain situations assume that a play that needs more urgency would not be made, so they don't make necessary plays to complete some plays. (some of which are archived at YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/baseball17k/videos ... sorry that most videos are related to the excessive bunting/squeeze issue.)

One of more prominent examples is the first baseman not covering the bag when a fielder gives (this also happens with other basemen, like 2B/SS).

Another example I often see is that the pitcher not covering the home base on a wild pitch that goes to the backstop.

Also, on bunting, pitcher or catcher sometimes doesn't attempt to get to the ball quickly, as if he was yielding to the other guy who would make the play for him (we don't need the puma-like catcher urgency, but the excessive "pause" by the catcher actually contributes to a higher bunt success rate this year).

I think there are some loose ends in the new fielding AI in certain situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

The first time I saw this was on a hard shot to third that one hopped just in front of Sandoval but he never threw the ball, just stood there. I watched replay to see why and the first basemen was just standing there, off the bag. It happened again on a similar play, this time I was in the field. Lowrie fielded a one hop liner, I hit circle, and threw across to Ike Davis who nevered moved on the play. I've seen it maybe 2-3 other time since
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Pro

Geolink's Arena

OVR: 4

Happened to me as well as I've been playing the game a lot often now.

It's REALLY annoying. Had a runner on first and second and a hard ground ball was hit to my third basemen. I was close to third base to tag the runner there, but at the heat of the moment I threw to first and the first baseman was NOWHERE near the bag.

UGH
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm seeing it a lot, too. It's really annoying. Probably cost me a few outs.
#WeAreND

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »