Home

Pitcher Makeup explanation?

This is a discussion on Pitcher Makeup explanation? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 AM   #9
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pitcher Makeup explanation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
Another question, if you don't mind... is a pitcher's makeup a factor when simming through games and fast-forwarding in-game? I'm assuming it does, correct?
I'm not sure but I would bet that it does. I sim all my minor league games and I have pitchers who have MLB ready pitch speed, control and movement, yet they still don't rise above the rest of the pack because the "intangibles" (H/9, BB/9, etc) aren't there yet, and it shows in the results.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm not sure but I would bet that it does. I sim all my minor league games and I have pitchers who have MLB ready pitch speed, control and movement, yet they still don't rise above the rest of the pack because the "intangibles" (H/9, BB/9, etc) aren't there yet, and it shows in the results.
When it comes to pitchers, what do you mostly focus on in training? For me, the only thing I really train is makeup and let the other stats just grow naturally. I just haven't found the need to really train any other stats as the makeup seems to be the dominant stat that defines a pitchers performance. I've had older guys losing velocity, control, and break at a rapid pace, but kept performing well when simming due to their high makeup stats. On the flip side, it's really hard for a pitcher with a low H/9 stat to perform well at all, even if his other ratings are high, so I find them pitchers kind of pointless to use..
Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Another question, if you don't mind... is a pitcher's makeup a factor when simming through games and fast-forwarding in-game? I'm assuming it does, correct?
Yes - and in these situations that includes HR/9.

Quote:
When it comes to pitchers, what do you mostly focus on in training? For me, the only thing I really train is makeup and let the other stats just grow naturally. I just haven't found the need to really train any other stats as the makeup seems to be the dominant stat that defines a pitchers performance. I've had older guys losing velocity, control, and break at a rapid pace, but kept performing well when simming due to their high makeup stats. On the flip side, it's really hard for a pitcher with a low H/9 stat to perform well at all, even if his other ratings are high, so I find them pitchers kind of pointless to use..

For me, it depends.

If they have good pitches (Velocity/Control/Movement), I will focus on the /9 ratings first, then some time on the pitches.

If they have decent /9, I will focus on the pitches, and then start working on the /9.

You are correctly that the /9 make up a lot of the performance if you sim those minor league games, etc. That said, if I plan to use the pitcher at the majors, or he could potentially be major league depth (like for an injury, etc), then I will try to get their pitches at least decent.

I don't consider a prospect ready until both his /9 and his pitches are at least decent. If he has just one or the other, it wouldn't work too well in "live" games, imo.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-06-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
I have a minimum of where I require pitches to be in order to consider them MLB ready, so in the end I train everything. Also, if a pitcher has a high H/9, K/9, and BB/9, I'm not really concerned about HR/9. I do have a minimum to consider a pitcher MLB ready in those stats too, but my minimum for HR/9 is really low. Once a prospect has all their stats MLB ready, the only thing I consider is in game performance, since I play all of my games.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I have a minimum of where I require pitches to be in order to consider them MLB ready, so in the end I train everything. Also, if a pitcher has a high H/9, K/9, and BB/9, I'm not really concerned about HR/9. I do have a minimum to consider a pitcher MLB ready in those stats too, but my minimum for HR/9 is really low. Once a prospect has all their stats MLB ready, the only thing I consider is in game performance, since I play all of my games.
When deciding who's 'roster ready' with position players, do you put more importance on offensive ratings over defensive or the other way around? Or do they have to meet a minimum rating for all their individual stats to get the call?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
MVP

Houston's Arena

I hope this might answer your questions and explain a little more.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #15
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

My understanding is that HR/9 only affects better location pitches like those on the corners when playing. No affect on pitches deep in the zone, only PWR is important in that case. Look at batter analysis screen to see deep pitches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
When deciding who's 'roster ready' with position players, do you put more importance on offensive ratings over defensive or the other way around? Or do they have to meet a minimum rating for all their individual stats to get the call?
It depends on the position. Usually I have a minimum OVR rating that I'm looking for, which can start in the high 60s. Once that is done, I try to judge based both on the position and what type of player I am trying to groom.

For example, my defensive requirements for 1B are really low, usually in the low to mid 30s. But if the player isn't 70+ in at least two other key tool areas(power, contact, speed, etc) I wouldn't consider them ready for the show.

Meanwhile my defensive requirements for my shortstops are quite high. I'm looking for 3 of the 4 defensive categories to be 70+, plus at LEAST 50 speed which helps with range. A player would have to have either exceptional offensive ratings or show defensive capabilities well beyond his ratings in spring training in order for me to overlook low defensive stats at SS.

The key decision process however isn't whether a player is going to make the show. Once a player has made it on to my 40 man they have a shot at making it, all I care about is on field performance, ratings kind of go out the window. It's more a judgement of where I think they will be and how rapidly they are progressing, if I should take the risk and add them or dump/trade them for better assets or a rental player. Some of that is looking at the ratings and their age, but a lot of it is gut.

Edit: Keep in mind that I play an AL team, so a player can be a defensive nightmare and still play as a DH. I almost always try to field a good defensive team.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »