Home

The Next step for Road To The Show

This is a discussion on The Next step for Road To The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0
The Next step for Road To The Show

****PLEASE IGNORE THE OTHER POST I MADE EARLIER THANK YOU*****

MLB The Show's Road To the show career mode is one of the oldest career modes in Sports video games since it made it's debut with MLB 06 The Show right after Maddens superstar mode.
While being a good solid career mode it's kind of gotten a bit stale over the years here are some suggestions that could help improve the mode and help it take the next step.

Character creation

In the older RTTS games we could start our player at 40 years old ever wonder if you could create an old Vladimir Guerrero or Julio Franco and see if he can keep up with the current generation of players? Maybe you want to try out something like Jim Morris did in the Rookie and start out at 35 years old?

In order for this to work instead of attending the Topps Amateur showcase it's replaced by a pro day where you would tryout for different teams doing drills. It would all lead up to a spring training invite play well end up on the roster or start in AAA

Like this
Spoiler

Also get rid of the forced retirement at 45 let us play at least until 55 what if I want to pull off a 2012 Jamie Moyer? or a 2007 Julio Franco?

More hairstyles and body types would really help make our character well our character what if we want some dreadlocks or make him really skinny or really overweight?

Interracting with the MLB world
I don't know about you but there is this disconnect with my player and the rest of the MLB. The Radio show helps but sometimes you don't feel like sitting down and listening to the whole thing. One thing that could be added could be a fake twitter feed.

It's 2016 Just about everybody is on social media.

Interacting with fans and players around the league maybe even asking the fans for their support to vote for you to make the All Star game.

A Fictional MLB and MilB.com website where we can keep up with whats going on in the baseball world. (Trades, signings, Rumors, etc.)

Manager interactions
The manager interactions need to be there at all times.
If something is bothering us we should be able to talk to the manager not stay quiet about it.

Requesting a Trade
This is a bit controversial as MLB players don't really request trades that often but it would be nice to be able to request a trade once we reach the MLB not in the minors as minor league players don't really have control over where they end up.

Pick 3 teams and the GM will make the best decision that benefits them. Even though you picked those teams you are still not guaranteed being dealt to the team you want or even traded at all.

I'm not saying let us jump around the league whenever we want it all depends on the team your on if it makes sense they will pull the trigger on a trade and you end up wearing another jersey if they don't it's because you are a very valuable asset to them and have no need to move you.

Free Agency

Free Agency needs to be improved we need to be able to ask for a no trade clause as as well as being wined and dined by many different teams. Let me tell my agent which teams I want to sign with in addition to receiving offers from interested teams. Right now you just receive random offers what if I want to sign with the Brewers but they don't offer you a contract right now you have to wait until spring training to "try out" for them and then they offer you a contract and thats if you make the team there have been a couple times where I failed to make the team and remained a free agent the entire season which sucked. That's right an entire season went by without my player playing a single game.
Allow us to ask for a no trade clause in our contracts that would come in handy later on because as we know the CPU GM's are a little crazy when it comes to trades.

As our players get older we might have to sign a minor league contracts To show that we can still play

As well as allowing us to request to be released from our contracts during the season Maybe you feel you aren't going to get called up anytime soon and you're getting older and don't want to waste your time.

Let me tell my agent to reach out to them and get working on a contract.

Agents

Which brings me to my next point. We should be able to hire/fire an agent. Each agent comes with different benefits you could have a Scott Boras type agent that always gets you a huge payday or you could be represented by your uncle Billy and end up with some pretty questionable deals.

Money

Now that you have that agent and sign that 10 year $300 Million contract. Money from your contracts should be used to purchase drills when you're on the bench and not getting any playing time it would be nice to purchase some drills to keep your player from declining. Now that Perks are a part of the game how about we use our money to buy some perks? You can buy any of the existing perks to even getting on a training program or diet that decreases the effects of age.

Include performance bonuses into our contracts they could work similar to the contract goals that were back in MLB 06 and MLB 07. If the goal is make 500 plate appearances or hit 25 or more home runs you would get a raise or if we make the all star game, win an award (MVP, Silver Slugger, Batting title, Gold glove ,etc..) we should get a raise.

The Fans
One thing that could be a nice addition would be the fans holding up signs about your player as you come up to bat.

They can say different things if your contract is expiring they should hold up signs saying "please stay" or "Re$ign him". Some could be funny holding up signs saying "Marry me." Fans get angry they should hold up signs saying "Trade him". If it's against a rival they should say "You suck" and if it's your former team signs should say "We miss you" and "Please come back".

Batting cages

(That hairstyle would be nice too and those clothes when we head down there or when doing drills.)

There should be batting cages similar to NBA 2k's practice facility you can come here work on your swing or try out a new batting stance or maybe you just feel like hitting. What we have now puts you into a drill and you don't really get to practice that well. This would not be a drill and you do not gain anything.

Post game interviews

This isn't the minors anymore in the majors the crowds are bigger you are playing in large cities now not small towns, your staying at classy expensive hotels on the road, and ride the teams private jet not the bus, you get more attention all the cameras are on you now.

Being able to answer questions after a game would really bring some much needed life to the mode. One of the things that I love about the NBA 2k series is that our player actually talks. I'd like to see that in The show. Keep it simple maybe 2 or 3 questions after a game and make them appear only occasionally maybe you had a good game or it's the playoffs where are the lights and cameras are on you.

You don't even have to hire many voice actors I wouldn't mind having Ramone as the voice of my character :P
We don't need a cheesy story mode just more media interaction

If we have a great game we should get a pie to the face

:P

Interviews in the locker room would be nice to see answering a few questions every couple of games not necessary though if it's impossible to get into the game.

Miscellaneous

If we get injured let us rehab in the minors

Getting noticed for breaking team records

Pitcher/Catcher meetings
As a catcher we should be able to Call timeout and talk to the pitcher. Same thing as a pitcher we should be able to call timeout ask to be taken out if the manager leaves you in too long or if the manager wants to take you out let us tell him that we can stay in and finish the game.

Also we need to be able to know our pitchers better maybe add a couple of drills or something. Maybe add some sort of chemistry that changes over time with lower chemistry with a pitcher they may decline your signals and throw a different pitch a higher chemistry they will listen to you.

Since we're talking about signals let us have a version of the API but for catchers. I remember being a catcher in RTTS for the first time and didn't really know what to do maybe look over to the manager and he gives you a couple locations if you don't know what to throw. It would also help getting through games a lot faster as a catcher in RTTS.

Coaching signs

(Not actually like that lol but the regular usual normal signals that coaches do. Like tapping their head or moving their hands.)

In the older RTTS games you had to listen to your coach. He would tell you when you could steal or advance when you were on base. If you didn't listen you would end up on getting benched. I think that this should come back as an option that can be toggled on or off. Let the coaches coach instead of just being part of the scenery

Warming up in the bullpen
As the relief pitcher or closer it would be nice to warm up in the bullpen during games.

Makes it feel a bit more realistic

Goofing around with Teammates

Make our teammates feel human if you play every game it starts to get boring and they feel like lifeless robots there should be some team bonding moments to build up some team chemistry.

Playing RTTS as a DH

I'm not a big fan of the DH I watch a lot of N.L baseball but it should be an option to become a DH in the game. If the opportunity presents itself for any AL club.

So what do you guys think could help improve Road to the show?

Last edited by zello144; 10-28-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The Next step for Road To The Show

That's a pretty awesome list, and I agree with just about all of it. I also would like to see a more robust transaction page, with each team's trades being listed for the season. I'd also like to see where free agents sign as well.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #3
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
That's a pretty awesome list, and I agree with just about all of it. I also would like to see a more robust transaction page, with each team's trades being listed for the season. I'd also like to see where free agents sign as well.
A rumor mill would also be nice especially around The trade deadline. I think that Franchise mode has it I would like to see it in RTTS as well.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
Just started!

that Franchise mode has it I would like to see it in RTTS as well.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:28 AM   #5
Rookie

There were signs by the base coaches at one point but they were taken out for whatever reason as was the rumor mill in RTTS. As far as a realistic game "which the devs obviously want it to be" is a little off the mark . I truly love your ideas and wish they would implement them . I love the idea of signs again, so many times I have been on first with a man on second and he takes third and I'm stuck with a thumb in my bum. Signs in the crowd would be awesome also. I also think that being pulled from a game in process because of a trade would be cool.

Playing through injuries
Why should I get barked at by the manager when I go 9 shutout innings but we lose 1-0 in the tenth
What team in their right minds trade a rookie on pace to win the CY Young so many cheap years ahead

Realism isn't the developers forte
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRev
I love the idea of signs again, so many times I have been on first with a man on second and he takes third and I'm stuck with a thumb in my bum.
I'd like to see coach call for hit and runs and double steals. I think I've only done a double steal once in RTTS it was so cool. A nice little heads up from the coach so we know what we're doing would be helpful.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Nice thread and I agree with all of this!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

Awesome, I've been waiting for a mix of CFM (Madden) and My agreed (NBA 2K) and it would be awesomme in any sports game.

Imagine having a connected career mode like in madden, with all the cool options NBA 2K has? Pitching against your buddy in a random June game or hitting a home run against your friends teams closer, costing his player the win would be fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »