Home

MLB The Show 16 Has Officially Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Has Officially Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #417
Rookie

Chad0034's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB The Show 16 Has Officially Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Any one else loving the hit variety? I'm pulling frozen ropes down the line, fighting off jam shots with bloopers over the fielder's head, reaching for a pitch and poking it somewhere.

Man I'm in love with this game.
What difficulty are you playing on? Im starting to see some good hit variety as well
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #418
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm liking the hit variety and the visible but subtle gap between a great defensive player and a poor one. The great ones seem to stand out more this year. Seems to be more dying quails and shots down the line as far as hits go.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #419
Banned

Beatles's Arena

OVR: 0

So I finally went to go check out Battle Royale mode and low and behold, it's only online. Oh well. At least conquest let's you play without a PS+ account.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #420
Rookie

yungkingston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
Game is extraordinarily buggy this year.

On/Off options that don't work.

Game hard freezing numerous times.

Online games locking up in the later innings.

Extreme framerate issues in certain ballparks.
Co-sign....ridiculous.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #421
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBunny
It's not a PS4 issue. The real problem is devs using the same old PS3 engine. It was an engine made for another system, a different one with a very specific architecture and specs. The next-gen The Show is a remastered version of the old one with some middleware ( like the one for lighting ) to upgrade the graphic. Remastering for another system is a very difficult process, it's not because you're using an outdated engine the game will run smoother in a more powerful console or pc. Usually it's quite the opposite. There are old games that struggle on high-end pc and others that perform better on PS4 or Xboxone even if you're using a good gaming pc. Or take the Bethesda games. Fallout 4 performance wise is a disgrace. It's not a PS4 or XOne issue. It's just because Bethesda continue to use a really old game engine, the infamous Gamebryo, with a ton of middleware. If you're interested, check the interview to Naughty Dogs about the remastered version of The Last Of Us: it was really a difficult task to achieve. Until devs will use this old engine, The Show will have framerate issues. According to Digital Foundry, MLB The Show 09 was 1080p and 60 fps. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ml...1080p60-on-ps3 Now ask yourself why with the same old engine and overall the same graphic ( minus middleware ) the game is performing really bad in comparison. OS is a lovely comunity, full of passion and true baseball fans, i really like it, but technical wise is like they live on Mars. It's always your TV ( which can only affect input lag ). It's always your PS4 ( the same for everyone ) or your The Show copy. It was a decision by San Diego the one to port the old version of The Show on PS4 using the same old game engine. Probably because it's a small studio and they don't have enough resources and time to build a new one. When you switch from an engine to another, you are starting from zero, you lose pretty much everything you've done before. Every dev from San Diego can confirm this, for sure. They probably will not and for the same reason they don't talk about framerate since the first The Show on PS4. Again, ask yourself why. Advertise a game running at 60fps nowdays it's a big selling point. The Show 17 will perform pretty much the same and so The Show 18, until the moment they change the engine. Well, it's a wall of text but i hope it makes things a little more clear for everybody.

This is indeed very interesting observation and I wouldn't be surprised this really is the reason why the frame rate in PS4 iterations have been a bit disappointing. With MLB 14 (the first year The Show was on PS4), I continued to play on PS3 for a while as the difference in the frame rate was quite noticeable and the PS3 version simply played much smoother.

And I think it is definitely correct the PS4 version hasn't caught up in that regard, even this iteration. There definitely are much more graphics to be appreciated, but when some stuttering occurs while a pitch is coming to you or when the camera is panning very fast with a big detailed crowd/graphic elements in the view, I wonder if all that detail is necessary when they are not appreciable in detail anyways.

Some PC games have settings where graphical details can optionally be cut down to gain more processing power for more critical components. I wonder something similar is possible with The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #422
Rookie

FindingTim's Arena

OVR: 4

after 7 games (all DD), I can say with a big smile that the hitting is finally everything I ever wanted it to be.

I finally feel totally in control of my hitter. If I guess fastball up and in-- and time it perfectly-- there is a chance I will jack it out of the park-- even with a Jed Lowrie type like I did earlier.

In previous iterations of The Show, it felt like invisible rating calculations affected results more than your own timing, reactions etc. In last years Show, there's no chance I would ever go deep with Jed Lowrie, no matter what I did-- unless it was a grooved 3-0 fastball down the plate and I pressed square at the precise right moment.

This year, when I get jammed, I deserve to be jammed. When I pop up, I deserve to pop up. And when I slam one in the gap, I deserve to slam it in the gap.

Diamond Dynasty has a myriad of issues--- framerate, disconnects etc.-- but man I am loving the gameplay. It's similar to how I felt playing NFL 2K5.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:26 AM   #423
All Star

Just played my first 2 games of this years game and on Dynamic difficulty and I won 6-0 and 2-1. I hadn't played Mlb 15 for a while so I am kind rusty more so with hitting as I have always found hitting to be pretty hard on these games. I have to say the game looks better than I thought it would. I played my first game in the rain at night and the rain looks much better. I have felt like from the time they added rain sever years ago on ps3 up threw 15 on ps4 you could almost not even tell that it was raining. Now this year the rain looks much more realistic and is much heaver than in the past. I have been using the fish eye cam but zoomed in and lowered a little bit. I am not sure if I am going to stick with it or not need to play more games first. But man the game looks over all much better than last year big jump. I would still like to see new player models but I felt like before this game mlb had worse graphics than madden, NBA 2k and NHL. Now I would say they have past madden and are close to NHL still well behind NBA 2k though.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:34 AM   #424
Banned

Beatles's Arena

Played a game at Safeco. Some framerate problems but nothing nearly as bad since I switched to a different camera than fisheye. I swear that Lyons has something against Trout. Runner on first in a tie ballgame with 1 out and Lyons suggests that Trout should bunt to move the runner over. First Lyons says Pujols is a better hitter and now this? Did Trout piss in is cheerios or something?
I have noticed that when CJ Cron is at bat, his sleeve clips through his shirt when he is standing in the batters box moving his bat. I have noticed other clipping issues too so I am hoping that can be patched.
I am using headphones with my controller for the first time and the sound will cut out for a split second like every 5 min. Is this a game issue or does the PS4 just do this when you are listening through the controller?
Maybe it's just me but I have not noticed the ball moving as much when hit. In 15 it seemed to slice a lot and never end up where you think it will but I don't see that anymore.
I am really loving how quickly this game loads. It seems the people in the crowd like always catch the ball. Has anyone seen them miss or stumble or do something funny?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »