Home

MLB The Show 16 Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Review (PS4) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: MLB The Show 16 Review (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
I think it varies a lot from pitcher to pitcher and pitch to pitch. I think this is a fairly realistic common ground for a video game which gives a better feel for the ball actually being hurled.
For most pitches, transition should be from grip to something resembling the same grip+motion. For pitchers that do end with an open (relaxed) hand, that doesn't happen until after the hand pronates at the end of the throwing motion. The video of mlb15 actually looks like it does a great job of this. mlb16 looks weird, like he's trying to catch the ball in reverse.

Here a super slow motion video showing a circle change for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5UPnQx9Rw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #42
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Just think about gripping a certain pitch and throwing it. Your hand doesn't spread out like the 16 pic. Last year had it better.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
Just think about gripping a certain pitch and throwing it. Your hand doesn't spread out like the 16 pic. Last year had it better.
Yeah I was actually hoping this would be improved from last year as it wasn't quite right last year either. Huge step back instead. Weird.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #44
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw9036

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
The grips have not changed. They still vary pitch type to pitch type. What you are highlighting there is the release. In MLB15, the pitch grip was maintained even after the ball was released. Now, pitchers/fielders look like the are actually letting the ball go during a pitch/throw animation.
Hence, the claw. Ball needs to roll off the finger tips more.
#44Syracuse

Last edited by Ghost Of The Year; 04-02-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFBUC
Nice collection of The Show jw9036!
VERY COOL collection of games my friend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #46
All Star

I cant believe that people are even talking about the way the hands look when the pitcher is throwing a pitch lol. Like who even notices something so darn small?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #47
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I cant believe that people are even talking about the way the hands look when the pitcher is throwing a pitch lol. Like who even notices something so darn small?
Authenticity; the Little things. Plus, I actually noticed even before it was brought up. I was like what is wrong with the pitcher's release grip of the ball. I was like why is his fingers flared opened. But what's even more important is all the pitcher's throwing motion, arm follow through needs to be reworked. They need to be much, much faster.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
With regards to a pitcher's hand and finger positioning on a pitch, I'll just say I agree with P.A.D. and Steven78.

================================================== ===========
Off thread topic, I guess. I'll create a thread in the future (probably months down the line that deals with the following [pitching motion]). I was actually going to wait to address the below points but since an SCEA developer is responding to other individuals about "pitching," I figured I'll throw in my two cents, all to hopefully get the game to greater heights.

Two concerns:

(A) Hand/finger grip position

That was actually the second thing I noticed during gameplay that took away from an immersive experience unfortunately. A static image doesn't always tell the whole story, but google image gives a good indication that all pitches still has the pitcher's hand/finger in a gripped position (as opposed to fully opened palms) once the ball is released.

(B) Arm whip for all pitchers should be much faster.

The first and primary thing that unfortunately still readily takes away from an immersive experience comes down to the pitcher's follow through/arm motion/body english. Pitching a baseball is a magnificent beautiful violent forceful behavior. The Show's pitcher is still missing the true characteristic of a pitch. Hone in on the body english and especially the arm motion follow through.

The whip of the arm realistically should be a blur. It should be fairly blurry to the eye because it's a very violent incredibly fast action. MLB the Show's arm whip has a very calculated clean comparatively slow(er) motion.

The above second point brings us full circle to the first point. If I could actually see the pitcher's hand in a fully opened position during regular gameplay speed, that is a good indication that the arm whip isn't fast enough. If my recollection and understanding is correct, I shouldn't be able to see the "release point grip" of the pitcher while watching a major league pitch.

SIDE NOTE

I decided to buy MLB16 digitally this year for one important purpose. When time permits, I want to capture all pitchers (or as much pitchers as possible) in the game (in gif format) and do a visual comparison to the pitchers' real life counterpart to showcase the "missing element" that still escape MLB the Show pitchers. And ultimately submit it to the developers of MLB the Show. This will be a time consuming project ... meaning I'll have to find the time to do it.
Using Classic Pitching mode and those screen grabs would make The Show look better than the real life vids.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »