Home

Pick-offs

This is a discussion on Pick-offs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Pick-offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I should mention that the 90 SPD 91 BR guy still has more stolen bases. My point is I'm too over-aggressive with him. I need to stop making the decision that he will steal (like I used to in 15) and instead feel out the moment more.

That is why my 64 SPD 35 BR guy has a 100% steal % because I am doing that with him.

Yeah, I just think a guy that good shouldn't really need to be that fine. I mean Billy Hamilton was 57/66 last year. Were there 66 "right moments" or is he just that good that unless the situation said "don't go", he went and was darn difficult to stop?

The way it was in MLB15 actually made sense from a "this is how threatening elite runners should be - expect them to go and hope you catcher's arm can get them" standpoint (and it compelled me to invest in said catcher) and average stealers were closer to 70% like irl.

If an average runner who gets poor jumps (average speed, low steal ability) can be 100%, but top speed guy who gets great jumps has to "pick his spots" just like the 65/34 guy...that just seems off to me.

BTW, thanks for that tip about the pitch outs. Another thing that seems to happen too much.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
Has anybody picked a baserunner off yet? I know in last years version all it resulted in was you throwing the ball over the first basemen's head and out of play.
First time ever vs CPU, lol.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #19
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBunny
First time ever vs CPU, lol.

Nice lol, I haven't picked anybody off yet, but I also think I'm just still used to last years game that I'm not throwing over as much as I should be.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #20
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Has anyone seen the errant throw into the stands yet? Has anyone seen any errant throws?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Has anyone seen the errant throw into the stands yet? Has anyone seen any errant throws?
I have...maybe 2 or 3 times. Only once did it go all the way in the stands. I'm seeing it far, far less than in years past though, so this definitely has been improved.

Last edited by bfindeisen; 04-13-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #22
Rookie

CHIBHAWKSRULE's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I've seen a bad pickoff throw or 2 but nothing into the stands.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #23
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
I have...maybe 2 or 3 times. Only once, did it go all the way in the stands. I'm seeing it far, far less than in years past though, so this definitely has been improved.
Great to hear that we can have errant throws now that don't sail into the stands.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #24
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I haven't seen any into the stands yet (thanks SDS!) but I've had a few that have pulled the 1B off the base.

It's much better this year, but one thing that needs to be fixed still is the direction of the error on pick-off attempts. Since the pitcher is trying to throw the ball low to a 1B so they can apply a quick tag, errors should be into the dirt or too far to one side but still low, and not over his head. The errant throws are still of the too-high variety even if there are fewer going into stands this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »