Home

What happened this year?

This is a discussion on What happened this year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: What happened this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Actually, that's most realistic.

In-zone contact in the real game averages around 80%. Some guys in the real game make contact in the zone literally over 90% of the time (Daniel Murphy did it at 97% in 2015 - look it up on fangraphs).
This year it might be even higher. Last in the league is Tampa Bay - at 79.9%. Only goes up from there.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=6,d
Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
This year it might be even higher. Last in the league is Tampa Bay - at 79.9%. Only goes up from there.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=6,d

Yep - 86% league average so far.

7 out of 8 swings in the zone = contact. That's what that rate is approaching.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #59
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

I’m getting really frustrated myself. I started out, playing on directional, and it started out great, but then it’s like it settled in and just started taking away hits and eventually, just started only having me hit lasers. So I switched to zone. Immediately got better hit variety. So much so i started crushing the ball. I was consistently better than all star, and moved to hall, and was consistently good for many, many innings. Now, after a lot of innings on that, only pop ups and laser beams that never ever fall. Usually I’d just chalk it up to me settling into a slump, but the pitchers are not throwing any balls. In over a hundred innings, I haven’t scored, despite dozens of squared up pitches, and have like five walks at most. And not for lack of taking.

I’m not one to blame anyone but myself for stuff like this. in fact, I commented on a thread like this one. But there’s been a difference in approach it seems.

Between this and the fact that I’m seeing an unprecedented amount of glitches, I’m talking like two to three per game. I think this might be my worst experience with this series. The fact that it hasn’t been revamped in many years is showing a lot.

You don’t care where I sent this from.

- Rick Wise
Old 06-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #60
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

My biggest gripe is with baserunning and the home run. It doesn't matter what park I'm in or even if I adjust the power sliders, I'm playing warning track ball. So a ball that falls 2 ft short in PNC or Dodger Stadium also falls 2 feet short in Fenway and Coors. Makes no sense.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneman85
So a ball that falls 2 ft short in PNC or Dodger Stadium also falls 2 feet short in Fenway and Coors. Makes no sense.

Yeah, sometimes it seems like the game is determining "HR or not" first. If HR, then calculate HR distance and determine if to play the no-doubter scene.

If not, then I'm not sure how it figures the distance - maybe some fraction depending on RNG + PCI + Ratings.

It seems like the more "natural" way would be to determine distance on all flies (if it doesn't already, just speculating/theorycrafting) and where it lands is where ever it is.

That said, I've found Pesky's Pole in Fenway and that ball would not be a HR basically in any other park. Likewise hit a 315-foot fly ball that happened to land right on the top surface of the Monster (didn't even make the first row of those seats up there, it landed literally on top of the Monster for a HR).

Hard to tell what's going on with flyball distances. Perhaps its working in "percentage of the distance from the plate" so if you roll 95's a lot, you get warning track outs even if the physical distances would be different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #62
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

I play a few different franchise and season on all-star. Even worse with long ball outs on veteran. Most of my dingers don't come from sluggers. Guys like Stargell, Ortiz, and Schmidt are automatic outs. There is something special about a homer over the Green Monster and over the Clemente Wall.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #63
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneman85
My biggest gripe is with baserunning and the home run. It doesn't matter what park I'm in or even if I adjust the power sliders, I'm playing warning track ball. So a ball that falls 2 ft short in PNC or Dodger Stadium also falls 2 feet short in Fenway and Coors. Makes no sense.
Honestly, I think the outcome is semi determined before the ball is in play. I don’t think the ball reacts to the bat, I think the game takes the place of the pci, the location of the ball, timing of the swing, runs a probability calc, and if it comes up out, places it somewhere in the range of a fielder. That’s why you see so many balls right at the edge of a fielders range.

You don’t care where I sent this from.

- Rick Wise
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #64
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0

I have completely turned off the PCI

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »