Home

More MLB The Show 17 Franchise Mode Details, Including Player Quirks

This is a discussion on More MLB The Show 17 Franchise Mode Details, Including Player Quirks within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #73
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: More MLB The Show 17 Franchise Mode Details, Including Player Quirks

I think I am going to enjoy quirks.

As a player who usually looks for fastballs regardless the hitter or situation, just having the information that a hitter has more success vs off-speed pitches will change the way I play. Good stuff.

Didn't The Show have scouting reports on players years ago or am I thinking about something else?
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #74
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

I like the quirks idea as long as it's not overpowered. Just because I pitch Rizzo a breaking ball with 2 strikes while the Cubs are down should not automatically be a hit, double, or HR. I hope this isn't the case.

I still want to pitch Rizzo a slider that goes across the far side of the plate and if he swings, he still can miss.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #75
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

To me, "arcade-y" is smashing a 600-foot flaming homer through a neon sign on the Vegas strip while the announcer screams "BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!". I don't see quirks as being anything remotely like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #76
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
To me, "arcade-y" is smashing a 600-foot flaming homer through a neon sign on the Vegas strip while the announcer screams "BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!". I don't see quirks as being anything remotely like that.
MLB Jam ??
Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #77
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2
Quick manage sounds great as the old Fast forward also resulted in terrible managerial calls late in game in my opinion.

I'm a bit surprised on the concern of bringing over new users to Franchise labelled the casual gamer. From what I understand the developers monitor a plethora of stats to how the user base plays the game and it sounds as if the Franchise numbers don't lend themselves well to people playing multiple seasons. I'm sure this data is discussed and analyzed when presenting the next years development schedule. It would be pretty difficult I imagine to go in there and preach about year to year stat tracking and rotating interleague schedules (Still holding out hope these are the types of additions best suited for the stream) when someone pulls out a number that only 10% of Franchise users actually ever see a second season to begin with.

How I take this year's additions to Franchise is on a two or more year plan. Where if you want improvements that have an affect on deeper franchises than first lets focus on bringing the user base over and have them actually make it past season one. Then next year when I go and put my neck out there for some of those wish list items I have the data to back me up.

Last edited by Finn; 03-07-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #78
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Quick manage sounds great as the old Fast forward also resulted in terrible managerial calls late in game in my opinion.

I'm a bit surprised on the concern of bringing over new users to Franchise labelled the casual gamer. From what I understand the developers monitor a plethora of stats to how the user base plays the game and it sounds as if the Franchise numbers don't lend themselves well to people playing multiple seasons. I'm sure this data is discussed and analyzed when presenting the next years development schedule. It would be pretty difficult I imagine to go in there and preach about year to year stat tracking and rotating interleague schedules when someone pulls out a number that only 10% of Franchise users actually ever see a second season to begin with. How I take this is if you want improvements that have an affect on deeper franchises than first lets focus on bringing the user base over and have them actually make it past season one. Then next year when I go and put my neck out there for some of those wish list items I have the data to back me up.
You could just as easily argue though that the reason people don't play multiple seasons is because Franchise mode isn't deep enough, there isn't enough to keep people interested. They've lumped all their eggs in the basket of believing the problem is not good enough simming, rather than looking to make the game more interesting day to day.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #79
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
You could just as easily argue though that the reason people don't play multiple seasons is because Franchise mode isn't deep enough, there isn't enough to keep people interested. They've lumped all their eggs in the basket of believing the problem is not good enough simming, rather than looking to make the game more interesting day to day.
Very true, I guess it's the chicken or the egg type situation and I'd have to defer to the developers and Sony to explain their decision.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #80
Rookie

I really hope they are keeping some details back for the stream. Making franchise faster to play takes away from the game mode in my opinion. I understand people want to make it through as many seasons as fast as possible. But I enjoy playing most of the games. Player Lock was already in the game mode, so I do not understand why they are making it a selling point like its a new feature?

I understand these guys put a lot of work into this game every year, so I'm hopping their are some changes to franchise mode that haven't been released yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »