Home

MLB 17 Trade Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 17 Trade Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #2785
MVP

GamecocksLaw17's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 17 Trade Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshirestags
I was thinking more Hellickson/Tillman level. The shine has come off the penny a bit and light-hitting, glove first middle IF'ers are a dime a dozen. He's young and has some pedigree but hasn't hit at the big league level and I just don't think he's got the value to command a SP with that type of talent/results/team control.
Hellickson is an expensive rental and so is Tillman. Arcia is on about a 2 WAR pace as a rookie that hasn't hit a ton. Tillman has a career high of 2.4 WAR and only topped 2 twice. Hellickson has been god awful.

Maybe the shine has come off a touch, but he's 22 in the majors playing good SS defense. He isn't getting traded for marginal relievers. His DEF value on Fangraphs is the same as Lindor, he has the same WAR this year as Addison Russell, is higher than Dansby Swanson and Tim Anderson.

Would you say Dansby Swanson's value has tanked too? He only has a 61 wRC+ which is lower than Arcia's and he isn't as good a defender.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #2786
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping for an Archer, Gray or Quintana type as he is(was?) a top prospect and is an A potential in the game. But then you blend the game with real life and I can see how a career .649 OPS in the bigs so far might lessen the shine. Hopefully we can get some more input! I desperately need to add pitching if I'm going to make the playoffs with the Brew crew.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #2787
Pro

hampshirestags's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecocksLaw17
Hellickson is an expensive rental and so is Tillman. Arcia is on about a 2 WAR pace as a rookie that hasn't hit a ton. Tillman has a career high of 2.4 WAR and only topped 2 twice. Hellickson has been god awful.

Maybe the shine has come off a touch, but he's 22 in the majors playing good SS defense. He isn't getting traded for marginal relievers. His DEF value on Fangraphs is the same as Lindor, he has the same WAR this year as Addison Russell, is higher than Dansby Swanson and Tim Anderson.

Would you say Dansby Swanson's value has tanked too? He only has a 61 wRC+ which is lower than Arcia's and he isn't as good a defender.
"The shine has come off the penny a bit" <> "tanked".

I expect his defensive ratings/value to be high, that's what he does well and the reason for the elite prospect rating. Of course he has value, I just don't think it's headline Q/Gray type of value but higher than S.Feldman type... more like Z.Wheeler? (no need) or A.Cobb? (again, no need).

It's not fair to mention Lindor and any of the other guys we're throwing around. Apples and oranges. Arcia and Swanson are two different players and... Tim Anderson..?? I honestly chuckled when I read that (remember when he was the best the White Sox had?). Let's just say I'm not going to bother looking up his current numbers and concede he belongs somewhere in here and is a fine human being.

As far as Dansby goes... yeah, his value has taken a hit as this can't even be called a sophomore slump yet. His elite value comes from his bat and if he can't come out on the other side of this adjustment, you might be looking at a right handed version of Stephen Drew instead of...whoever the comp is for him these days.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #2788
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden57
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping for an Archer, Gray or Quintana type as he is(was?) a top prospect and is an A potential in the game. But then you blend the game with real life and I can see how a career .649 OPS in the bigs so far might lessen the shine. Hopefully we can get some more input! I desperately need to add pitching if I'm going to make the playoffs with the Brew crew.

I agree that he could headline a trade for Gray, Quintana, Archer, etc. Of those three teams the A's make the most sense as the Rays and Sox already have good young SS talent. There are other pitchers out there as well.

Personally I think the Brewers would and should be looking at 2018 and beyond, which means probably not trading Arica.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #2789
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilli4
I agree that he could headline a trade for Gray, Quintana, Archer, etc. Of those three teams the A's make the most sense as the Rays and Sox already have good young SS talent. There are other pitchers out there as well.

Personally I think the Brewers would and should be looking at 2018 and beyond, which means probably not trading Arica.

IRL I agree, but I'm playing .500 ball with them and think I could make the playoffs if I just improve my pitching. I can't hit with Arcia at all so I thought maybe I could move him if his value is still high and grab an ace for my pitching staff.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #2790
MVP

GamecocksLaw17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshirestags
"The shine has come off the penny a bit" <> "tanked".

I expect his defensive ratings/value to be high, that's what he does well and the reason for the elite prospect rating. Of course he has value, I just don't think it's headline Q/Gray type of value but higher than S.Feldman type... more like Z.Wheeler? (no need) or A.Cobb? (again, no need).

It's not fair to mention Lindor and any of the other guys we're throwing around. Apples and oranges. Arcia and Swanson are two different players and... Tim Anderson..?? I honestly chuckled when I read that (remember when he was the best the White Sox had?). Let's just say I'm not going to bother looking up his current numbers and concede he belongs somewhere in here and is a fine human being.

As far as Dansby goes... yeah, his value has taken a hit as this can't even be called a sophomore slump yet. His elite value comes from his bat and if he can't come out on the other side of this adjustment, you might be looking at a right handed version of Stephen Drew instead of...whoever the comp is for him these days.
He'd still get way better than a Zack Wheeler or Alex Cobb. You don't trade a guy who was a top 10 prospect in baseball for a couple guys who have missed 18+ months with TJS and have very little team control.

As far as Dansby goes, if you look at his last month he has a 93 wRC+ which isn't bad for a 23 year old playing short.

You know who has a lower wRC+ than that this year? Manny Machado with an 85 wRC+

But seriously, if you're the White Sox and the Brewers call and offer you Arcia + Erceg + Woodruff you would turn it down? What if it was Arcia + Ortiz + Clark? Heck I'd trade Quintana for Arcia + Hader and call it a day

Last edited by GamecocksLaw17; 06-19-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #2791
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden57
IRL I agree, but I'm playing .500 ball with them and think I could make the playoffs if I just improve my pitching. I can't hit with Arcia at all so I thought maybe I could move him if his value is still high and grab an ace for my pitching staff.

IRL they are over .500 and in first place. Rebuilds only work if you stick to the plan.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #2792
Pro

hampshirestags's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecocksLaw17
He'd still get way better than a Zack Wheeler or Alex Cobb. You don't trade a guy who was a top 10 prospect in baseball for a couple guys who have missed 18+ months with TJS and have very little team control.

As far as Dansby goes, if you look at his last month he has a 93 wRC+ which isn't bad for a 23 year old playing short.

You know who has a lower wRC+ than that this year? Manny Machado with an 85 wRC+

But seriously, if you're the White Sox and the Brewers call and offer you Arcia + Erceg + Woodruff you would turn it down? What if it was Arcia + Ortiz + Clark? Heck I'd trade Quintana for Arcia + Hader and call it a day
In the end, this is similar to the Buxton situation in that neither should be traded for at least another 1000 AB's or so. However, it appears I just don't have his floor as high as you do. Ervin Santana?

61 wRC+ is failing for anybody, I don't care what he's done lately...especially when it's still far below expectations. I follow Mr. Swanson fairly closely, this is a guy that slugged .900+ for 2 years in the SEC. He can hit, he's just not doing it. Though I would quickly agree it's more with plate coverage than swing mechanics...you want to go look up S.Drew first 2 years in the league Mr. smarty pants? You know who doesn't have an 85? Jake Lamb...132.

With NYY, HOU and now LAD calling...yeah, I'd turn down Arcia from the Brewers. The guy has never hit, he's never going to hit and unless he's the second coming of Omar Vizquel, I've already got guys that can do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »