Home

Has anyone done a full RTTS season as a catcher?

This is a discussion on Has anyone done a full RTTS season as a catcher? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Has anyone done a full RTTS season as a catcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSqueeze
Awesome. How long does a typical game take you to play?
Depending on how my pitcher is pitching, I can get through a game in as little as five minutes (provided my ABs are either HRs or outs) but they can last upwards of about 25 (lots of runners making it on base as well as always reaching first with <2 outs). I would have to guesstimate my average time to be in the neighborhood of 12-15 min.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive27
Always thought about doing this, but never committed. How often do you get stolen base attempts? I wonder if they attempt less when your arm strength improves.
It takes a lot into consideration when there is/isn't a steal attempt. Pretty much I'll go into the game with a runner on first (with second base open) who has a speed rating of at least 40-plus. If that runner's steal rating is above about 50, there's a potential of him going if the situation is right (decent count to steal or hit-and-run, score range where a steal could happen, etc).

My RTTS catcher has a Prime Yadi arm by now and I do see a far amount of steals. Most of these steals come from players with 70-plus speed and 50-plus steal (and I do get some from a little less and they are easily "out by a country mile because their feet were stuck in the mud" -Matt V) When I come up with a 90-90 runner, I anticipate a steal at some point in the AB. If that runner is on and there's 0 or 1 out, if there isn't a steal attempt in the first AB, there's likely one in the next AB - especially if the batter is an RBI threat. So if I ventured a guess, I may see about 70-80 steal attempts over the course of a season (with about 140 GP) and after a quick search, that seems about the average for an elite-armed catcher.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Rookie

consecutive27's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCaveman13
It takes a lot into consideration when there is/isn't a steal attempt. Pretty much I'll go into the game with a runner on first (with second base open) who has a speed rating of at least 40-plus. If that runner's steal rating is above about 50, there's a potential of him going if the situation is right (decent count to steal or hit-and-run, score range where a steal could happen, etc).

My RTTS catcher has a Prime Yadi arm by now and I do see a far amount of steals. Most of these steals come from players with 70-plus speed and 50-plus steal (and I do get some from a little less and they are easily "out by a country mile because their feet were stuck in the mud" -Matt V) When I come up with a 90-90 runner, I anticipate a steal at some point in the AB. If that runner is on and there's 0 or 1 out, if there isn't a steal attempt in the first AB, there's likely one in the next AB - especially if the batter is an RBI threat. So if I ventured a guess, I may see about 70-80 steal attempts over the course of a season (with about 140 GP) and after a quick search, that seems about the average for an elite-armed catcher.
Thanks for the detailed response. I will definitely give this a try next time I start a RTTS. Playing catcher will make defense more interesting, variable, and important. Playing other positions can get repetitive and too automatic at times. Throwing out runners with showtime throwing seems like fun too.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »