Home

The hitting in this game is off...

This is a discussion on The hitting in this game is off... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The hitting in this game is off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
Regardless a difference of at most 10% isn't going to change anything about the ridiculous complaining about not hitting those pitches 500ft.

There seems to be some misconception that hitters would do that on a pitch they're sitting on 60% of the time or higher. People just don't understand how difficult it is to square up a baseball like that. Especially if you add in that you are also slightly inclined to over-swing when you get your pitch which makes it even harder to square it up. And yes even major leaguers and HoF players over-swing on them fat pitches occasionally.

I'm just going off my experiences as a minor league pitcher. We held bullpen sessions where the hitters knew what was coming and were sitting on it. You would be crazy surprised at the swing and misses let alone the balls that wouldn't have been base hits.
In no way am I saying that squaring up a ball is easy. I didn't play minor league ball like you, but I played in college and faced plenty of pitchers that went on to get drafted. Watching baseball on TV doesn't do it justice as to how difficult it is. It's hell up there when guys have command of three or more pitches.

Only point I was trying to make is that the "good hitters" in the league are probably hitting high 300s if they guess correctly.

Last edited by Sayheykid01; 04-04-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
In terms of good hitters, 77 hitters in the MLB last season hit over .270 ... I still believe that not making perfect contact on a ball even if you know its coming is more probable than not.
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but the only reason I chimed in was to talk about hitters getting the pitch they're looking for. Those guys who hit above .270 are probably hitting around .350+ when they get a pitch they're looking for or a mistake. When you throw in all the times a guy is fooled or off balance, that's when you're average is coming back down to earth.

In no way am I saying hitting is easy, played for 25 years. I agree with you guys saying that a lot of people say they want realism without knowing what it actually is. I don't think majority of people realize how little success you have in the box. You can do everything right up there and have absolutely nothing to show for it.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
Banned

Wow, some good feedback in this thread. I feel you guys I really do. Hitting a baseball is very hard and should never be easy. I am actually hitting very well this year. I am averaging anywhere from 4-7 pitches an at bat, walking more than I ever have, but something just doesn't feel smoothe about this years hitting mechanics. I feel like the hitters are swinging through mud or under water or something. Even when I square one up for a no doubter it just doesn't have that same satisfaction as years past, to the point I am actually surprised when my hitter goes into his no doubter animation. Maybe it's the toned down sound of the bay cracking throwing me off. Or maybe it's just because the games only been out for a week and I just need to let myself adjust to the feel of the game this year.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
Rookie

DeJohn11's Arena

OVR: 1

I think the MLB average on "hard hit balls" was like .450. If they sit on something, they're still out over half the time
Old 04-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I know it takes a little effort but the hitting wont be off once you've determined the best hitting difficulty for you, the best hitting view, the most optimal contact, power, timing, foul frequency, solid hit, pitch speeds and fielder reaction and errors sliders. In fact, the 3 most important things to hitting in the Show are sliders, sliders, sliders. Once the sliders are right, its all coasting from there on in.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #22
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I know it takes a little effort but the hitting wont be off once you've determined the best hitting difficulty for you, the best hitting view, the most optimal contact, power, timing, foul frequency, solid hit, pitch speeds and fielder reaction and errors sliders. In fact, the 3 most important things to hitting in the Show are sliders, sliders, sliders. Once the sliders are right, its all coasting from there on in.
Obviously this from Caulfield lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
Wow, some good feedback in this thread. I feel you guys I really do. Hitting a baseball is very hard and should never be easy. I am actually hitting very well this year. I am averaging anywhere from 4-7 pitches an at bat, walking more than I ever have, but something just doesn't feel smoothe about this years hitting mechanics. I feel like the hitters are swinging through mud or under water or something. Even when I square one up for a no doubter it just doesn't have that same satisfaction as years past, to the point I am actually surprised when my hitter goes into his no doubter animation. Maybe it's the toned down sound of the bay cracking throwing me off. Or maybe it's just because the games only been out for a week and I just need to let myself adjust to the feel of the game this year.
But to combine what he said into what you said, what pitch speeds are you using? Personally I love 10 because no matter where I go 10 is 10 lol. Go to my friends house? 10 is 10.

I guess what I'm saying is if I get a hold of it for a HR on 10 I'm satisfied lol. Not to mention it'll get you a more realistic amount of swing and misses.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #23
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayheykid01
In no way am I saying that squaring up a ball is easy. I didn't play minor league ball like you, but I played in college and faced plenty of pitchers that went on to get drafted. Watching baseball on TV doesn't do it justice as to how difficult it is. It's hell up there when guys have command of three or more pitches.

Only point I was trying to make is that the "good hitters" in the league are probably hitting high 300s if they guess correctly.
Lol I think we were more on the same page than we thought we were when we started. For some reason I felt like you were saying it was much higher than you just said.

Also I was giving a hard 70% of the time obviously lol. 70% is just kinda the go to % in baseball.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #24
Rookie

ruskoz's Arena

OVR: 1

I to cant get a good feel for the hitting as of 17. I play allstar zone and it seems i often square up the ball with good timing, i look at the feedback after and everything looks good but the ball is often a weak bloop or weak pop-up. I havent paid enough attention to pitch type as a result of ball spin off the bat after contact, but I don't thinks that's been modeled in the game, has it?

I am not saying that the hitting mechanics is porked. I will say I have lost confidence in what merits good contact and what is the result of good contact.

Last edited by ruskoz; 04-04-2017 at 03:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »