Home

The hitting in this game is off...

This is a discussion on The hitting in this game is off... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The hitting in this game is off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolove626
Late.... home run.... early.... home run... right on time.... miss the ball completely. Been playing he show for years so confused. The hitting feels so mechanical not organic at all
You're a directional hitter. I know you're a directional hitter, because if you were a zone hitter you would said "Late.... home run.... early.... home run... right on time.... fly out to center fielder or line drive out to middle infielder"

This is not unique to this revision of the game, as it was prevalent in 2016. In 2016 I came to the conclusion that it was better to be early or late than obtain a green on-time status. From a zone perspective, 2017 is an improvement, but it is clearly still better to be early or late.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #42
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
You're a directional hitter. I know you're a directional hitter, because if you were a zone hitter you would said "Late.... home run.... early.... home run... right on time.... fly out to center fielder or line drive out to middle infielder"

This is not unique to this revision of the game, as it was prevalent in 2016. In 2016 I came to the conclusion that it was better to be early or late than obtain a green on-time status. From a zone perspective, 2017 is an improvement, but it is clearly still better to be early or late.
Well depending on pitch placement/launch angle/pitch type. That accurately correlates to real life hitting. This is why I always recommend turning off the feedback.

The Show treats "good" timing as a certain spot between the pitcher and the hitter. Not necessarily a timing thing. I'm not saying it's designed this way but that's pretty much how the feedback system is working anyway.

And besides to get back to talking about realism it's not realistic to have it on anyway.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
Well depending on pitch placement/launch angle/pitch type. That accurately correlates to real life hitting. This is why I always recommend turning off the feedback.

The Show treats "good" timing as a certain spot between the pitcher and the hitter. Not necessarily a timing thing. I'm not saying it's designed this way but that's pretty much how the feedback system is working anyway.

And besides to get back to talking about realism it's not realistic to have it on anyway.
I play with strike zone and hot zones turned off. I occasionally play with PCI turned off. But I cannot fathom playing with feedback turned off. I'm open to the possibility that I lack skill and thus rely on it as a crutch. But I fail to see how it is unrealistic.

In real life there are a number of physical items that provide feedback. The most obvious is the feel of the contact, but that is only the last feedback input and largely a result of what happened before. Starting too late, over striding, casting the hands, raising the front elbow, swinging with the arms rather than body, not getting the elbow in the slot, etc., are all feedback mechanisms from which I can evaluate and make an adjustment. In the video game world, PCI placement and timing substitute all the above. Thus I fail to see how it is unrealistic. Please educate me...I'm very much open to an alternative perspective
Old 04-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 5

I play on All Star for both pitching and hitting and I have been hitting only slightly more homeruns than last year with default sliders. The only sliders I touch are fastball and offspeed pitch speed because at default it is way too slow. Even this year with both sliders up to about 90% the pitch speed seems slower than last year. I think that is why I am hitting pretty well. I'll just have to move up to the next difficulty level if it continues.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #45
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
I play with strike zone and hot zones turned off. I occasionally play with PCI turned off. But I cannot fathom playing with feedback turned off. I'm open to the possibility that I lack skill and thus rely on it as a crutch. But I fail to see how it is unrealistic.

In real life there are a number of physical items that provide feedback. The most obvious is the feel of the contact, but that is only the last feedback input and largely a result of what happened before. Starting too late, over striding, casting the hands, raising the front elbow, swinging with the arms rather than body, not getting the elbow in the slot, etc., are all feedback mechanisms from which I can evaluate and make an adjustment. In the video game world, PCI placement and timing substitute all the above. Thus I fail to see how it is unrealistic. Please educate me...I'm very much open to an alternative perspective
Well that is all absolutely correct, however the feedback doesn't take any of that into account as it's not on the game. People need to stop thinking of the feedback as the be all end all.

All it is is timing, and on top of that the "good" timing isn't actually what good timing would be on most pitches. "Good" timing on a inside pitch according to feedback isn't actually "good" timing, you're late you should've been early.

It's like the example I used earlier a get thrown a high fastball and foul it off, I know I was late I can feel it and see it in the swing and how the ball came off the bat. But what does the feedback say? "Good" timing, no it wasn't good I was late and I know it.

All feedback does it give you something else to think about/ stress over instead of focusing on the pitcher. Pitch down the middle you pop it up or hit it foul but the feedback says "good" timing, now you're just thinking about why your guy missed it instead of about the pitcher and the next pitch.

Personally I don't guess what's coming, I don't think about what might be coming I see the ball and react. Now yes occasionally on a 2-0, 3-1 count I'm thinking about getting one in my pull zone but I'm not thinking of a specific pitch.

Guess pitch, feedback, strike zones, hot zones while all great features and by all means if you love them use them. But you'll always be behind people that don't use them.

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
Well that is all absolutely correct, however the feedback doesn't take any of that into account as it's not on the game. People need to stop thinking of the feedback as the be all end all.

All it is is timing, and on top of that the "good" timing isn't actually what good timing would be on most pitches. "Good" timing on a inside pitch according to feedback isn't actually "good" timing, you're late you should've been early.

It's like the example I used earlier a get thrown a high fastball and foul it off, I know I was late I can feel it and see it in the swing and how the ball came off the bat. But what does the feedback say? "Good" timing, no it wasn't good I was late and I know it.

All feedback does it give you something else to think about/ stress over instead of focusing on the pitcher. Pitch down the middle you pop it up or hit it foul but the feedback says "good" timing, now you're just thinking about why your guy missed it instead of about the pitcher and the next pitch.

Personally I don't guess what's coming, I don't think about what might be coming I see the ball and react. Now yes occasionally on a 2-0, 3-1 count I'm thinking about getting one in my pull zone but I'm not thinking of a specific pitch.

Guess pitch, feedback, strike zones, hot zones while all great features and by all means if you love them use them. But you'll always be behind people that don't use them.
Given your response, I'm concluding you've either failed to fully read and evaluate what I stated or you're projecting a personal bias.

I use zone. If I foul a pitch off, its because I failed in some combination of putting the PCI on the ball and/or being late/early. I'm fully aware that Good timing on inside or outside pitches doesn't equate to Good timing.

My initial comments, to which you originally responded, were generally stated assuming a pitch down the middle of the plate. I take responsibility and apologize for not making that generality clear. But now that it has, I reiterate my statement that you are more likely to have a successful outcome being early or late than you are being on time. This was prevalent in 2016 and while it has improved in 2017, it still exists.

Unless you have evidence that the feedback produces random output, then I'm going to maintain my belief that it is deterministic. As such, the displayed PCI placement and timing provide valuable feedback. It is the digital version of the feedback that I would have should I be standing in the box and observant to the physical cues in my swing. Feedback doesn't give me something else to stress over. It gives me information to make an adjustment.

I don't use the guess pitch mechanism, but I do sit on pitches when patterns emerge. It is foolish not to do so.

As I previously stated, I have everything turned off except the PCI, which I occasionally turn off, and the feedback. I agree that turning everything else off as being beneficial. I've done extensive evaluation with the PCI turned off, but failed to see any additional benefit. I only continue to occasionally turn the PCI off because it so often touted as the path to hitting enlightenment on these boards and I question that I might be missing something. But I've grown fairly confident that PCI off doesn't produce anything more than an elitist attitude, but again I remain open to being enlightened.

Finally, being that, according to the leader boards, many of the best players of this game have the PCI on and make use of the feedback, I find your statement that those who use these mechanisms will always be behind those who don't to be baseless and a complete fallacy.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #47
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

I never said anything about turning the PCI off, I agree with you that with zone it makes no difference whether it is in or off.

I'm not balanced to either hitting system either, I prefer Directional because it depends more on ratings than user skill which places more emphasis on building a better team to become successful.

Back to the original point, okay you should easily be able to tell whether you were late, early etc... on the pitch. If you cannot then there are bigger problems, however based on your posts I'm assuming you have a fairly good knowledge of the sport and therefore believe you should have, no problem doing so. Now going with your statement that you play with PCI on then you know where your PCI was anyway, what do you need the feedback screen to tell you that for?

Results scream way more about what happened in the swing than the feedback screen does. Especially since it's not exactly always spot on correct anyway. But I come on we know baseball, popped it up? You got under it. Hit itt in the dirt? You got on top of it. Low screaming line drive? You got on top of it but got enough of the ball to drive it.

I guess personally (which is what all these options come down to anyway) is whether I use zone, directional, or analog it is simply very easy to tell what happened without the feedback.

And on a slightly different subject you should really have it off when pitching off you want more realism.

I will agree with you that it's usefulness can be debated with batting, but after all my years in the mound no one will ever convince me that having that feedback screen when on the mound is fair or realistic.

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #48
Banned

Maybe i am getting old. I am finding my problem is I am having trouble identifying the pitch out of the pitchers hand. There's not enough variance from fastball to slider if the guys is throwing 98 with the fb and 86-87 with the slider. By the time you recognize the pitch is to late. I can combat this by intently focusing on his deliver and I can at least determine if it is a FB or slider. The problem is I am I have to commit to swinging without indentidying location, which means if they throw it out of he zone my timing doesn't mean crap. I did about 1 hour of batting practice against carter Capps last night and was timing pitches well but was swinging and missing on a lot of throws that should have been balls. This is because I have to focus to hard on my timing to establish if it is a strike or ball. I switched instead tried to focus only on good pitches but was late anytime it was a fastball 96 or higher..... I am definitely getting carved up by pitchers thus far since release lol

Sorry for any spelling errors, typing from my phone

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »