Home

Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pickoffs

Does anyone else dislike the fact that pickoffs are dice rolls with no skill required at all? I mean i think there should be a manual option to dive back so that we have mo control over baserunners.

I find it infuriating when i have a speedster who takes a 1 step lead get picked off...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Pickoffs

I have pickoffs down to 2 or 3 and it feels much more natural. I can take an extra step without them throwing over every time. In 40 games, I've only been picked off twice. Both were my fault, I tried to get an extra good jump so I manually made my two guys steal. But out of maybe 60-70 times I've taken an extra step they've maybe thrown over a dozen times.

To summarize, lower pick off and they won't throw over as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencollarbaseball
I have pickoffs down to 2 or 3 and it feels much more natural. I can take an extra step without them throwing over every time. In 40 games, I've only been picked off twice. Both were my fault, I tried to get an extra good jump so I manually made my two guys steal. But out of maybe 60-70 times I've taken an extra step they've maybe thrown over a dozen times.

To summarize, lower pick off and they won't throw over as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines at 0 and they always pick off. I hate band ad solutions. Even mvp 05 had manual dive backs
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

I've actually managed to pick 2 people off this season so far! Sure it's been Carlos Correa both times and I'm not sure there's a specific rating that has allowed me to do it its just been a coincidence but ill take it!

As for getting picked off myself I've grown used to just not trying to "cheat" by taking an extra step as in the past they throw over more times than not, although I am quite unlucky when it comes to stealing on pitchouts
Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 1

Idk what everyone is having a problem with. Unless I'm missing something. Last year I couldn't take even 1 extra step without picking me off for the out. This year, I've only been picked off once. I can usually always advance the one extra step, and still manage my way back to the base. I've even got away with 2 steps twice. But I haven't experienced any sort of issue with stealing bases and being picked off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Pro

I play from a Player Locked perspective. I find pick offs a lot better than last year as there was no challenge at all when Slow Mo (not to be confused with Show Time) was introduced.

There was no incentive to lead off because once the Slow Mo kicked in from the CPU you can get back safe with your eyes closed. This year its more like real base ball and previous iterations and I hope Slow Mo for anything that has to do with a realistic base ball experience never comes back to a game like this!

I do find that the deeper the count the more I am able to lead off with out the pitcher throwing over. I also noticed that pitchers wind ups are a lot higher this year which allows me more time to analyze and steal a base. Not so sure if I am experiencing the cat and mouse aspect that was talked about in the streams.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
Rookie

From a franchise mode perspective it sucks. I've had Gardner and Ellsbury picked off multiple times from taking 1 extra step. I like being in control of the game and I dont want the game deciding for me by a dice roll whether they are safe or not. I want to control going back to the base using my own reaction timing. Just like in Road to the show.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »