Home

Directional Hitting Guide

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting Guide within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #633
Rookie

BodamEscapePlan's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Directional Hitting Guide

Man, this is seriously impressive!

I clicked on this topic thinking it would be more of a collective effort with a few tips, two hours later and I feel like I've just been taken to MLB The Show school. This is more informative than any strategy guide ever put out. Great job!
NCAAF: NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
@michaelsbodam | PSN: BodamEscapePlan
Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #634
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0

Good information. This should get pinned.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #635
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Thanks for the endorsements, but this guide is in serious need of editing. There are a lot of things, especially off-hand comments, that no longer apply, like needing to turn down strike frequency. I don't remember exactly, but I think this guide was written for 16 or 17 originally.

Unfortunately I am very lazy, and more focused on solidifying my sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #636
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

What matters in that article is the logical approach which makes a lot of baseball sense.

So a big thank you, it is really a master piece.

I converted to directional hitting with Madden 19 mostly to bring a more immersive experience.

Here an expected application of the logic for my Marlins roster on which comments and feedback are welcome...

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #637
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmac75
What matters in that article is the logical approach which makes a lot of baseball sense.

So a big thank you, it is really a master piece.

I converted to directional hitting with Madden 19 mostly to bring a more immersive experience.

Here an expected application of the logic for my Marlins roster on which comments and feedback are welcome...
yeah, I keep this thread bookmarked, I like to refresh my memory every 4 or 5 months when my old habits creep back in. I know it was originally for 16/17 but it still feels relevant for 18/19. this guide might wind up being timeless. at least for me.

A Work in Progress
Old 10-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #638
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
yeah, I keep this thread bookmarked, I like to refresh my memory every 4 or 5 months when my old habits creep back in. I know it was originally for 16/17 but it still feels relevant for 18/19. this guide might wind up being timeless. at least for me.
Oh it's still very relevant, I was just cautioning against people following it word for word.

Like I said, there are a lot of inaccurate off-hand comments. It's mostly flavour text though, the meat and potatoes of the guide is still good.

Edit: moving forward I'll probably continue to tack on any changes as opposed to editing them, like I did for the "changes to 19" section. That way if there are any conflicting pieces of information, a person playing an older version can still find the guide helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 10-18-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #639
Pro

GainzBro's Arena

In the middle of a horrible team wide batting slump and searching for answers I read this again. It helped to reset my approach and gave me a few things to work on such as push swing and drive swing to increase my timing window. This in turn helped me to focus only on the process and not the results. Strangely the tips on physical affirmation like a pat on the back was helpful. Also taking my thumb off the button and holding it above helped. It was only one game but these simple tips got me out of my bad habits and brought me back into the process and away from the results and I had fun playing for the first time in about a week. I had a .271 team average through 24 games and saw it plummet to .237 by game 48. Thank you for the in depth and very thorough guide here.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #640
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainzBro
In the middle of a horrible team wide batting slump and searching for answers I read this again. It helped to reset my approach and gave me a few things to work on such as push swing and drive swing to increase my timing window. This in turn helped me to focus only on the process and not the results. Strangely the tips on physical affirmation like a pat on the back was helpful. Also taking my thumb off the button and holding it above helped. It was only one game but these simple tips got me out of my bad habits and brought me back into the process and away from the results and I had fun playing for the first time in about a week. I had a .271 team average through 24 games and saw it plummet to .237 by game 48. Thank you for the in depth and very thorough guide here.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Operation Sports mobile app
Yeah I know the physical affirmation seems weird, but before I started doing it I was a free swinging machine. Now discipline is one of the strongest aspects of my game.

It's a tough leap to just trust in the process. It doesn't matter how long you've been doing it for, the temptation to break form and go wild will still haunt you. I've been following this process since 2015, and I don't think there has been a single game where I haven't been tempted to throw my own rulebook out the window.

It's only looking back, seeing how much I've improved over time that re-affirms the process.

Good on you for looking past yourself and getting back to the process. That, in a lot of ways, is the hardest step, both in baseball and life.

Sorry, couldn't help but wax philosophical there. Baseball tends to have that effect on me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »