Home

Homeruns and hit power after Patch 1.06

This is a discussion on Homeruns and hit power after Patch 1.06 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #25
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Homeruns and hit power after Patch 1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
If your look to strikeout more, foul frequency is going to impact that directly.

Strike Frequency only effects early counts. Not going to be in effect when you have 2 strikes on you.
That's not entirely true. Like I said it's a deceiving slider. While it is true it has a larger impact on early counts it can still effect the deep ones.

However, your foul frequency suggestion is a good one. Might turn it down myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 AM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacks
I appreciate the feedback guys, but i think you're missing the point. Maybe I'm just seeing things but it seems like hit power is somehow inherently lower now. Balls I used to square up would get wacked, now even if its in the good spot of the hitters eye it still isn't as solid.

Tell me it's just me and I'll be content.
Your thoughts were clearly stated. Thus, you should conclude that they're likely not missing the point, but rather that your statements contradict/threaten their desired baseball experience.

I agree, post patch, there is an issue with power. Green centered swings up in the zone and over the plate predominately result in line drive/fly outs with low velocity off the bat.

I'm having far more success with green centered swings down in the zone. Well timed squared up swings down in the zone produce fairly consistent results as far as line drives with velocity. Up in the zone, I'm finding that
you need to have early or just late timing to drive the baseball with velocity.

I'm still working on a hypothesis, but, having both advanced baseball and software engineering experience, I'm certain this can't be chalked up to "that's baseball" and I'm leaning in the direction that they put in a quick and dirty fix to curtail the "too many HR's" problem of the initial release. They deserve some credit for that fix as, from my experience, it didn't have any negative statistical side effects other than the low power numbers.

However, from a game play experience the patch was a catastrophe. There is no worse experience than repeatedly sitting on a pitch in a specific location, receiving that pitch, executing the requisite user input and producing a weak fly ball. IRL that combination doesn't always produce hit, but it does always produce a well struck baseball.

Last edited by fanofbaseball; 05-21-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #27
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
Your thoughts were clearly stated. Thus, you should conclude that they're likely not missing the point, but rather that your statements contradict/threaten their desired baseball experience.

I agree, post patch, there is an issue with power. Green centered swings up in the zone and over the plate predominately result in line drive/fly outs with low velocity off the bat.

I'm having far more success with green centered swings down in the zone. Well timed squared up swings down in the zone produce fairly consistent results as far as line drives with velocity. Up in the zone, I'm finding that
you need to have early or just late timing to drive the baseball with velocity.

I'm still working on a hypothesis, but, having both advanced baseball and software engineering experience, I'm certain this can't be chalked up to "that's baseball" and I'm leaning in the direction that they put in a quick and dirty fix to curtail the "too many HR's" problem of the initial release. They deserve some credit for that fix as, from my experience, it didn't have any negative statistical side effects other than the low power numbers.

However, from a game play experience the patch was a catastrophe. There is no worse experience than repeatedly sitting on a pitch in a specific location, receiving that pitch, executing the requisite user input and producing a weak fly ball. IRL that combination doesn't always produce hit, but it does always produce a well struck baseball.
I'm not arguing with you as I feel waiting on a pitch/location should result in at least a few more hits and definitely better contact but I think the issue could also be tied to hitting interface. Using zone, even without adjusting PCI location, said pitches are either producing more hits and/or more well struck baseballs. When using directional I don't see similar results nearly as often, which isn't particularly fun or even fair in my opinion.

I definitely appreciate having power and homeruns neutered because I want realistic simulation play, or pretty close. I would like it to not be at the expense of other areas of realism however, but until we receive the final patch I'm just going to hope they find an even better solution and possibly bridge the gap between hitting and pitching interfaces for next year because having choices is awesome, but when one option is considerably better than the others then I don't truly feel we actually have legitimate choices.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #28
Banned

BegBy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
That's not entirely true. Like I said it's a deceiving slider. While it is true it has a larger impact on early counts it can still effect the deep ones.

However, your foul frequency suggestion is a good one. Might turn it down myself.
Is there any proof to that? I've been under the impression it's for early pitches only and I've done some serious slider testing over the years and haven't found a way to determine that it does anything other than its description. It's quite easy to tell it impacts early pitches...all anyone has to do is adjust and play with results being fairly profound. I just can't see how you could conclude it impacts anything else as, in my opinion, there's far too many variables to determine anything for certain much after the second pitch.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #29
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
Is there any proof to that? I've been under the impression it's for early pitches only and I've done some serious slider testing over the years and haven't found a way to determine that it does anything other than its description. It's quite easy to tell it impacts early pitches...all anyone has to do is adjust and play with results being fairly profound. I just can't see how you could conclude it impacts anything else as, in my opinion, there's far too many variables to determine anything for certain much after the second pitch.
No I have no proof. Just my observations/intuition.

Batting practice is a good place to experiment with slider effects though. Obviously not exactly science but it's still the best place to mold slider settings.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #30
Pro

No.27's Arena

Begby and WarmWind following is a link to Bobheads excellent last gen thread that you guys may or may not have seen but even on a reread you will find something interesting. It is a little old but most of the info holds true and you can use it to inform your current testing.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...y-sliders.html
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #31
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

on AS directional, i'm seeing more success with contact and solid hits bumped up one. Felt like i wasn't being rewarded enough when i got good timing on a hitters pitch, this has helped me. Still can get shut down from time to time, so i'm not seeing any crazy offensive spike, which was my fear. Still definitely see a good amount of "line everything up" and pop it up, which can definitely be frustrating, but I can show much more patience at the plate with directional and don't plan on changing.

WarmWind convinced me to bump up solid hits on directional, even though the norm for me before this year was to drop a click or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »