Home

Lead offs and pick offs

This is a discussion on Lead offs and pick offs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Lead offs and pick offs

haven't had a problem at all with pickoffs. It's all in the sliders, I think. I've picked off CPU and he's picked me off. Very realistic as a matter of fact
Old 06-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #10

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Could the horrible jumps be related to your steal slider and pitch speed? I only tap as I want the player's ratings to determine their jump and my players get good jumps all of the time, but I play with pitch speed maxed out while IIRC Armour's sliders have pitch speed near default. It could be the game's way of trying to balance out that part of the game by making jumps worse to account for the extended time it takes the ball to reach the catcher.

I could be completely wrong. I have not tested this at all, but I see people complaining about the poor jumps quite a bit from the tap method, but I am using it to steal with guys like Khris Davis and Yonder Alonso.
I don't think pitch speed would have anything to do with that as it's merely a visual and not slowing the actual pitch down. Not to mention I had fastball pitch speed at 8 at one point and still had the issue. Now maybe steal success slider has something to do with it, I believe Armor raised it and tapping seemed to work alright then he lowered it back down to default and that's probably about the time I started having issues with bad jumps consistently. Either way I much rather prefer to steal manually myself as it's more immersive then just tapping the button imo. Having said that, how are you having any success stealing with slow *** Yonder Alonso lol? I wish I could steal with guys other then Segura, Dyson and Martin but I haven't had a ton of success unless it's a hit and run and the ball is in the dirt, otherwise I get thrown out whenever I've tried with guys with lower speed ratings. What is your steal success at? Baserunner speed as well? Not sure if baserunner speed has anything to do with it but figured doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:31 AM   #11
Banned

I dont lead off at all. I tap L2 and hit R1 to make him go as the pitcher starts his windup. You need to hit R1 if a guy has a low steal rating cuz this effects the "jumps" he gets.

This works well for me. I found that taking a lead is completely unnecessary, especially in rtts. A speedy player and a good jump is all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #12
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
I've found turning cpu pickoffs down 1 notch makes the whole aspect so much better.

As for picking the cpu off, I try and throw right as they take that extra step.
Exactly this.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
Banned

Also, why would you expect to have success stealing with guys that have a slower speed rating?

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
I don't think pitch speed would have anything to do with that as it's merely a visual and not slowing the actual pitch down. Not to mention I had fastball pitch speed at 8 at one point and still had the issue. Now maybe steal success slider has something to do with it, I believe Armor raised it and tapping seemed to work alright then he lowered it back down to default and that's probably about the time I started having issues with bad jumps consistently. Either way I much rather prefer to steal manually myself as it's more immersive then just tapping the button imo. Having said that, how are you having any success stealing with slow *** Yonder Alonso lol? I wish I could steal with guys other then Segura, Dyson and Martin but I haven't had a ton of success unless it's a hit and run and the ball is in the dirt, otherwise I get thrown out whenever I've tried with guys with lower speed ratings. What is your steal success at? Baserunner speed as well? Not sure if baserunner speed has anything to do with it but figured doesn't hurt to ask.
When I'm home this evening I'll check my sliders and post them. Stealing with Alonso, they all came on breaking balls in the low 80s or high 70s. I just guessed when a breaking pitch would come and get lucky. If it was a fastball I would try and protect him with a foul. I did steal with Khris Davis on a 98 mph pitch. The pitcher paid no attention to him and allowed me to get 1 or 2 extra steps and he got in there with no throw. Of course, then Billy Hamilton went 0-2 for me on steals.

I guess it is worth noting that both steals with Alonso and Davis were in my A's franchise which was Armour's sliders, but with 10 pitch speed. I just remembered that so I don't know if the sliders I'm using now would be as much help.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-26-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #15

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergie51
Also, why would you expect to have success stealing with guys that have a slower speed rating?

Not sure who this was intended for but I'm not looking to steal bases with Nelson Cruz or Robinson Cano. I'm talking about guys like Taylor Motter (77 speed) or anyone else who falls between the 70-80 speed range as I struggle to get any steals with them and have taken to playing station to station with hit and runs sprinkled in depending on the situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Not sure who this was intended for but I'm not looking to steal bases with Nelson Cruz or Robinson Cano. I'm talking about guys like Taylor Motter (77 speed) or anyone else who falls between the 70-80 speed range as I struggle to get any steals with them and have taken to playing station to station with hit and runs sprinkled in depending on the situation.

Well have you tried my suggestion?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »