Home

Salary Cap Franchise

This is a discussion on Salary Cap Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Salary Cap Franchise

Ah I didn't even think about teams being over the cap to begin with haha. It would take a lot of trading to get everyone under a 150-175M cap before you play even one season... I think I have talked myself into trying this, sounds really fun.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disk
Ah I didn't even think about teams being over the cap to begin with haha. It would take a lot of trading to get everyone under a 150-175M cap before you play even one season... I think I have talked myself into trying this, sounds really fun.
I did a test just on the AL East using The OS Hybrid 2.0 rosters and $165 million 25man roster $200 million total cap. The only team over the cap is the Blue Jays 1.4 million over on their 25 man. I will post below the 5 teams 25 then 90 cap spaces.

Baltimore 34.8/49.6
Boston 12.5/16.76
Yankees 2.0/22.24
Tampa 82.89/110
Toronto -1.44/27.94

I am going to do the NL West next. I figure because of the Dodgers and Gaints that division will tell if 165 works

Sent from my LG-H918 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
I gotta admit this is kind of a fascinating idea that I wish I had thought of earlier. If I burn out on my Seattle franchise I might give this a whirl through 30 team control and make those tough decisions for all the teams. The offseason will be a bit tough to do since you'd have to sign players for every team otherwise someone is bound to go over the "cap" and then you're constantly fixing things so if you figure out a good system to tackle feel free to share it here as it genuinely has me intrigued.

I'm doing the offseason for 30 team control right now to make sure teams spend enough money (my roster started with real contracts so the teams budgets are big).

1. Turn all CPU contracts and free agents and trades to manual.

2. Anyone who is a FA, offer them a 1 year 500k contract.

3. Turn CPU controls to Auto and sim a day. If you're lucky, all of those FAs are still unsigned but the CPU has signed a few of their minor league guys. Save and try to sim another day without a big FA resigning with his team. You might have to try a few times but the 500k offer usually keeps up for a day or two.

4. Get the CPU to sign as many low level guys as possible by simming and saving and then switch the controls back to manual.

5. Once you get through the exclusive signing period you can withdraw all the low ball offers and start working through the pre-arb and arb guys. I am making offers to 15-25 players per franchise using realistic money.

6. Sim a few days and sign as many players as you can who are going to make between 500k and 1.2ish mil.

7. Then you can start working on anyone who is going to make more money. Go through each team and make offers based on what they actually need and how much money the teams have.

8. Sim a day at a time, update the offers as players sign. Some Free Agents will just take the best offer they get while others will choose less money for whatever reason (you make that up).

9. Now the majority of the free agents are signed, turn CPU controls back to Auto and let the teams fill out lower level rosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I was just looking at my teams budget and I noticed that the competative balance tax (AKA the luxury tax) column has the current years tax threshold clearly printed in it. Turns out you don't have to calculate it.

So you could copy the NHL system by taking that, adding 15% and bam, there is your hard cap.

Are you thinking about copying other cap systems by adding a salary floor as well?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I was just looking at my teams budget and I noticed that the competative balance tax (AKA the luxury tax) column has the current years tax threshold clearly printed in it. Turns out you don't have to calculate it.

So you could copy the NHL system by taking that, adding 15% and bam, there is your hard cap.

Are you thinking about copying other cap systems by adding a salary floor as well?
I am still working on adding all the players to an excel spreadsheet i was away for a few days so I got delayed. I probably will copy the NHL system with having a floor of 70-75% spending which would put the minimum around 115-120 based on what i am using now. I will need to figure out something for trades and such but i will definitely look into other cap systems to perfect it.
I have only completed the AL East NL West and most of the AL Central so I have time to perfect it.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Rookie

I have been looking into the different salary caps from the major sports. A Soft/Hard Cap on the 25 man roster and a floor is a definite. I think having a soft cap in place at the start of the season and using a hard cap for midseason trades.

If there is any interesting salary cap stuff you think I should implement let me know and I'll look into it

Old 07-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #15
Rookie

If you going to keep a spreadsheet I would seriously look into implementing some kind of salary retention. You would obviously have to keep track of it yourself but it's the kind of thing that happens all the time and would make trading much more interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #16
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreyc16
I have been looking into the different salary caps from the major sports. A Soft/Hard Cap on the 25 man roster and a floor is a definite. I think having a soft cap in place at the start of the season and using a hard cap for midseason trades.

If there is any interesting salary cap stuff you think I should implement let me know and I'll look into it

Cap space taken should be calculated by annual average salary, since you can only backload contracts for some reason and you have no control over if/how a salary is backloaded.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »