Home

Is it time MLBTS to make major upgrades to Franchise?

This is a discussion on Is it time MLBTS to make major upgrades to Franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #33
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is it time MLBTS to make major upgrades to Franchise?

I think the point to calling carry-overs a cash grab is more pointing out the fact that you can't skip a year. The system is basically forcing you to buy every year in order to get value.

I understand that the ability to skip years would require more from the devs, but would it really be so hard to have a "save update" service rolled into a PS+ account?

BTW, I'm a carry-over defender, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I understand the limitations they impose but to me it's the greatest feature a sports game could have. Love my 2014 carry over.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #34
All Star

OVR: 20

If carry over franchises are hindering development, get rid of it. I'd bet most would prefer a more indepth franchise without carry over.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #35
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I think the point to calling carry-overs a cash grab is more pointing out the fact that you can't skip a year. The system is basically forcing you to buy every year in order to get value.

I understand that the ability to skip years would require more from the devs, but would it really be so hard to have a "save update" service rolled into a PS+ account?

BTW, I'm a carry-over defender, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I understand the limitations they impose but to me it's the greatest feature a sports game could have. Love my 2014 carry over.
This is exactly... exactly what I was getting at in the original comment I posted about the subject.

I'm not trying to downplay the feature... but when someone tells someone else to buy '17 just before '18 releases just so you can carry over your franchise that has little to no fixes to the mode, it sends a bit of a false narrative.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #36
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
As for this thread alone, you simply stated this:

That adds nothing to the OP's post about making improvements. Whether you stated in more detail about these things you'd like to see improved in other threads is moot in regards to this thread alone (which I've read, mind you). Not everyone can read everything you've written in past threads and whether they've been stated many times before in other threads does not make anything in this particular one more or less important.

Your next comment (the one I quoted before) was more or less just an excuse as to why Franchise may or may not be as bland as it stands. I'm not saying carry-over's are unimportant or not a valuable commodity to the community. What I was saying was that "if it was indeed the case" (my original post), it would be a weak excuse to further justify the repetitiveness and constant overshadows this mode experiences year in and year out. If you have to repeat yourself, then repeat yourself from thread to thread.

But don't jump on threads meant to shed at least SOME of the transgressions that this mode still suffers from with posts about how you have "some issues with franchise but overall enjoy it" without any further explanations to the specific problems you have with the mode, regardless of how many times you've posted said issues. Experienced OS users get on "rookies" time and time again about this stuff.

And in regards to the negative cash-grab comment, yes, that is my opinion... the way they implemented the feature. When you do NOTHING to improve the mode itself for the past 2-3 years since implementing said feature, and experienced OS users such as yourself (who I respect whether you believe so or not) say that could be a reason why (whether it's true or not), it gives the impression that you are making excuses.

Minor Leagues DO NOT have stat tracking! When a player plays an entire '17 season in the minors, and I can't view those stats on his player card in the following '18 season (offline franchise), that's not stat tracking!! The only stats that show up on a player card in offline franchise are MLB roster stats. If he never plays on the MLB roster, he gets nothing. And when I can view 100 different stats for position players in DD, but only 30 stats in Franchise, that's not stat tracking!

I spent hours upon hours, franchise upon franchise trying to learn this mode from the ground up... from paying more attention to baseball in general to reading every single topic in the Handbook SCEA provides you to for the offseason, and while I thought this mode was deep at first (before I knew much about it), I quickly realized in the last 2-3 years playing it that it isn't very deep at all and still lacks the quality most of the people around here seem to overlook, or just shrug off because they're enjoying another mode better.

I know what I said in this thread. My original post was answering the question of this thread which was does the show need to make major improvements to franchise mode. For me personally, I don't feel that there are "major" improvements that need to be made for me to enjoy the mode. My post wasn't out of context nor off topic. Just because I chose not to rant about what I'd like to see added in this thread doesn't mean my post is any less valid and should've never been posted.

If you think carryover saves is a cash grab well that's your opinion but it doesn't make it true. A lot of people wanted this feature here at OS and a lot of people use it.

I like how you pick one post about someone saying buy '17 before '18 to carryover as your factual evidence that it is a cash grab. For the record we are all aware or could make the community aware that you can buy '17 used a GameStop, transfer your save then return it.

Chill with the shouting at me. I said that I may have not understood what you were meaning when you said that minor leagues don't have stat tracking. All you needed to do was tell me what you meant, not scold me for misunderstanding.

And I like how you just assume people around here are shrugging things off because they are finding enjoyment in a mode you feel is severely lacking. Just because someone doesn't constantly post their frustrations with the game doesn't mean they don't have them.

And lastly, the condescending tone towards me and the lecture posts end now. If you can't carry on a mature discussion about our difference of opinion then do me a favor and don't have a discussion with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-08-2017, 04:33 AM   #37
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind

I think a vast majority of those who use the carryover save feature were/are buying the game on a yearly basis.

But as a counter to the point of being forced to buy every year, you can always pick the game up used, transfer your save and then return.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #38
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Although I like carry over and think it's a great feature, there will have to come a year where they bite the bullet and not have it, in order to make significant progress in improving the Franchise mode. You can't keep using the same, pretty weak franchise mode just so you can still have carry over saves, at some point that's either just an excuse not to add anything new or just a genuine impediment to progress.

It's a double edged sword. Carry over is a great feature, but it's only possible because they haven't really done anything to the core mechanics of Franchise mode in years. The whole thing really needs a complete overhaul at some point
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #39
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
Although I like carry over and think it's a great feature, there will have to come a year where they bite the bullet and not have it, in order to make significant progress in improving the Franchise mode. You can't keep using the same, pretty weak franchise mode just so you can still have carry over saves, at some point that's either just an excuse not to add anything new or just a genuine impediment to progress.

It's a double edged sword. Carry over is a great feature, but it's only possible because they haven't really done anything to the core mechanics of Franchise mode in years. The whole thing really needs a complete overhaul at some point

Why would they have to not have it?

There is no proof whatsoever to my thought/theory/opinion that carryover franchise saves is a reason why some things the community has requested hasn't been put into the game.

It was pure speculation on my part.

I'm sure there are many factors that go into what is added to the game/franchise mode year in and year out. We are just not privy to all of that information.

Last edited by countryboy; 09-08-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #40
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Why would they have to not have it?

There is no proof whatsoever to my thought/theory/opinion that carryover franchise saves is a reason why some things the community has requested hasn't been put into the game.

It was pure speculation on my part.

Because how could you possibly make the saves compatible if the mode had changed drastically? If you add a bunch of new features, or change the very basics of how the game works, then I don't see any way you could make a previous years save easily transferable.

If, for example, they expanded the minor leagues to add A ball and allowed teams to have 30 more players, how would that work with a carry over save where all the teams have far to few players? Or if they completely overhauled the finance system to have money actually carry over form year to year, different markets bring in more money form TV and tickets, options to develop your teams fanbase and increase your revenues and all that sort of thing, that surely wouldn't work with a 7 year long save where none of that stuff had been happening? Even if they changed the very basics of the potential system, so players didn't just have some set overall number that could slightly fluctuate but instead had different potentials for their different tools, I don't see how that could carry over without the game having to automatically generate completely new potential ratings for every single player on the game.

It seems pretty obvious to me that carry over saves are pretty reliant on nothing major changing. Sure you can add something non-consequential like the terrible morale system, as that has no year to year impact, but anything that actually affects a team or player long term is surely going to be tough to apply to existing saves that haven't had those things affecting things over the years?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »