Home

Frame Rate Issues (Standard vs Pro Console)

This is a discussion on Frame Rate Issues (Standard vs Pro Console) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Frame Rate Issues (Standard vs Pro Console)

Even though I'm not the OP, I've been pondering buying the Pro before 18 is out. I have been following and appreciate the responses here. Most replies seem positive about the performance of the pro with or without a 4K tv.

For the ones that have responded or have upgraded from og PS4, are you glad you upgraded and do you feel it was worth it?

I'm asking this as a guy that plays the Show year round and occasionally plays COD/BF or NBA 2k when I need a break from the action on the virtual diamond.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #18
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlaw13
Even though I'm not the OP, I've been pondering buying the Pro before 18 is out. I have been following and appreciate the responses here. Most replies seem positive about the performance of the pro with or without a 4K tv.

For the ones that have responded or have upgraded from og PS4, are you glad you upgraded and do you feel it was worth it?

I'm asking this as a guy that plays the Show year round and occasionally plays COD/BF or NBA 2k when I need a break from the action on the virtual diamond.
Mine was kind of an impulse buy. I had an itchy trigger finger to try it out, see which other games benefited from it. Main reason I kept it is because I found I just wanted a second PS4, one for the living room.

It was quite an investment though, and I never did trade in the other PS4 to compensate (and I rarely play that one now, harumph). I'm big on framerate stuff, so for me it was a massive improvement.

Is it worth the upgrade just for that? Ehh, now that we're getting later in the development cycle I'd say it would be harder to justify it, especially if they decided to announce a PS5 six months from now.

However, if you were looking to get another PS4 anyway (say like the Slim model), I'd say spend the extra hundred bucks or so towards the Pro, for sure!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:

Extremely glad. The Show is not the lone reason I went to the Pro - I needed more disc space and my first PS4 was also showing signs of hard drive trouble. I wouldn't want to try to convince anyone to buy an entire system (or upgrade) for one game, no matter how good it may be. TBH I didn't know that '17 would have improved framerate when I bought the Pro (though I kind of expected it). I don't really know how '17 performed on the regular PS4 aside from a few 60 FPS pre-release streams I watched, but on the Pro at least it's been a night-and day difference over '16 where I experienced framerate issues during gameplay in many stadiums.

And I don't even have a 4k or HDR-capable TV.

Last edited by bcruise; 12-29-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: '18 slipped in there...lol
Old 12-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
This year with 17 I have pretty much spent most of my time in RTTS mode, though lately I have started getting back into a franchise. In response to the bolded part of the post. Pressing up on the stick does not make you runner move any faster, it never has. What you are doing is telling the computer that you want to keep running thru the base and continue on to the next. The camera is shuddering and jerking because it is trying to shift to follow your runner as he is rounding to go to the next base. Changing default cameras or the ones you have it set for can relieve some if not all of that and not holding up on the stick can help, unless of course you do want to run to the next base. Or you can switch to a different method of running the bases. I do use analog in RTTS but I buttons in Franchise.

As an add on. I have a Samsung 4k TV and in HFR my game plays as smooth as it ever has. Perfect? No. But better frame rate wise than it ever has.

Bullit,

Unfortunately I do not have a Samsung 4k TV but I did almost by one. I will try to capture a video of what I have been seeing all of this time not sure if it will work but I will give it a go.

In my experience pushing up on the analog stick does give your player momentum while running. You can also flick it as you get closer to (1st) base and your (player lock or RTTS) runner will try to leg out the throw.

If you have any insight on how to switch the default camera when running with a (player lock or RTTS) player once the ball is put into play please share. I have been playing since MLB 14 and too my knowledge when playing in a (Player Lock or RTTS) mode the camera focuses on your player. You can also use the L1 and R1 buttons to look ahead or behind you while running the bases.

Edit: Just tried to capture the video using the standard built in PS4 Pro Control (Square To Record) Problem is even though when I am running to first and rounding the bases its noticeable, but the overall video also looks lesser in quality.

Last edited by jada855; 12-29-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #21
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:

I'm glad that I bought it to upgrade, but I have very specific reasons why.

1. I'm a framerate snob, no two ways about it.

2. I found having a second PS4 a huge boon. I haven't used the second one much, but I have it set up in my bedroom. I have several severe sports injuries, including one to my lower back. It's rare, but there are days where I am basically bedridden. Having the extra ps4 is nice just to have something to do.

3. I play ps4 for more than the Show. Playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn a second time is next on my list of games to play, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the pro, especially since my ONLY complaint about it was the framerate the first time through.

4. I bought the pro on sale. Cost me less than a Nintendo Switch. Honestly that's a big part of where I feel the value for me came from. If I had paid full price, I don't think I would have been very satisfied with the purchase, especially as an upgrade on my regular PS4.

5. My regular year one PS4 was showing signs of potentially breaking down. Now I don't really care if it stops working tomorrow. It was a very small factor in choosing to upgrade but still true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2017, 02:22 AM   #22
Banned

4k mode is unplayable because of the lag. I recently bought a 4k TV and use enhanced visuals and the visuals are definitely improved over high frame rate mode while maintaining a pretty high frame rate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

I took over my son's Pro after he decided to go to a XB1X. I was underwhelmed until I stumbled upon this thread; good gracious is there a difference. I couldn't see anything with Shadow of War, but The Show 17 is glaring. It is like having a new game.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Just a question for you all. Those of you having frame rate issues are you using the stock hard drive or have you upgraded?

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »