Home

MLB The Show 18 - Improved Tagging, Animation, Catchers, AI, Emotion & More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 - Improved Tagging, Animation, Catchers, AI, Emotion & More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 - Improved Tagging, Animation, Catchers, AI, Emotion & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Catcher defense was this game's biggest weakness and eye soar last year. I'm happy to hear it has been addressed, and hope a catcher's influence on games is further expanded via pitch framing etc.

Catchers are the most overlooked position in MLB The Show, yet the most important, many would say, in MLB.

This alone is why I will get this years game. Hopefully they improved wild pitches too. That would be a bonus in itself.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 02-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blegh
so what is the new hitting engine again? Nothing in the gameplay videos showcased anything new other than new graphic/feedback overlays.
I literally saw ZERO difference in the actual hitting based on the gameplay videos between 17 and 18. Astros took a 2-0 lead, Yankees came back with 2 runs in the very next half inning (conveniently of course) on a Didi Gregorious home run in which the PCI was low enough to be a pop up, followed by a home run by Greg Bird in which the PCI MISSED THE BALL ENTIRELY! So again, seeing absolutely ZERO difference in the hitting ball physics.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #11

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I literally saw ZERO difference in the actual hitting based on the gameplay videos between 17 and 18. Astros took a 2-0 lead, Yankees came back with 2 runs in the very next half inning (conveniently of course) on a Didi Gregorious home run in which the PCI was low enough to be a pop up, followed by a home run by Greg Bird in which the PCI MISSED THE BALL ENTIRELY! So again, seeing absolutely ZERO difference in the hitting ball physics.
You sticking with the comeback stuff huh? I remember watching my Dodgers in the World Series, We were up 5-0 in Games 5, only to blow the lead, then went up 8-5, only to blow the lead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
You sticking with the comeback stuff huh? I remember watching my Dodgers in the World Series, We were up 5-0 in Games 5, only to blow the lead, then went up 8-5, only to blow the lead.
Just pointing out a fact, bro. It is what it is. I am not using that terminology anymore. I'm just saying I didn't see much of a difference at all in the hitting. TWO home runs were hit back to back in which the PCI wasn't on the ball AT ALL. Forget any comeback logic, let's just talk about the hitting engine. Home runs should NOT be getting hit in which the PCI isn't even ON THE BALL!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Just pointing out a fact, bro. It is what it is. I am not using that terminology anymore. I'm just saying I didn't see much of a difference at all in the hitting. TWO home runs were hit back to back in which the PCI wasn't on the ball AT ALL. Forget any comeback logic, let's just talk about the hitting engine. Home runs should NOT be getting hit in which the PCI isn't even ON THE BALL!
the PCI does not represent the bat, so your examples do not really fit the narrative you are trying to tell.

The PCI reflects the likelihood of contact. So for your first example, if the PCI was still on the ball (despite being low and as you claim a pop up) then a HR is still possible. Your second example where the PCI completely misses, while infrequent, can still result in any type of hit.

At least, this is my understanding of how it all works.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #14
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
.. TWO home runs were hit back to back in which the PCI wasn't on the ball AT ALL. Forget any comeback logic, let's just talk about the hitting engine. Home runs should NOT be getting hit in which the PCI isn't even ON THE BALL!
That kinda thing lessened my interest in the game. I remember it wasn't like that 4 years ago or so. I felt like my input wasn't being factored enough when I was batting.

I know why it's like that. It's like that because they don't want guys who hit 5 HRs in reality to hit 40 in the game and vice versa. It also ties in with pitcher's attributes.

Maybe they could balance it better..

Last edited by MLB14; 02-06-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Rookie

Let's see what they say about the new feedback box. Seems like that is focused on showing where and how the bat meets the ball, maybe easier to understand and explain than the PCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Do we know what difficulty level they were playing on? The PCI was the size of a hot air balloon. If it was a low level it could explain some of the reason why contact was made. PCI just needs to be in the general area..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »