Home

MLB: The Show roots

This is a discussion on MLB: The Show roots within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 AM   #1
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0
MLB: The Show roots

I'm wondering when you can say this series actually began? Sure, 2006 was the first game named "The Show". But we all know that the MLB series was also exclusive to Sony systems. Many of us enjoyed the games even on the original PlayStation. We played right after "Seinfeld".

But it seems as if you can trace it back a bit further than that. The first game Sony published was on the Super Nintendo in 1991. It was called "Extra Innings", and it wasn't a bad game. But it didn't have an MLB, nor MLBPA license, and I really wouldn't consider that to be part of The Show's roots.

However, they released a game in 1994 on the Super Nintendo, PC, Sega Genesis , and Sega CD called "ESPN Baseball Tonight". It had the MLB license, but not MLBPA. Wasn't a particularly good game, and the controls were awkward. However, it did resemble a TV broadcast, moreso than any other game did, and a lot of it did feel like MLB '94 The Show would have had the game been made with the hardware limitations at the time. The fielding camera even resembles the "Broadcast" angle still used today.

It's interesting, because it was published by "Sony Imagesoft", which was folded into SCEA in July of 1995. I wonder how much inspiration, if any, Sony took from this game into the future.

Funny how at the time they were trying to make the game as realistic as possible, and nowadays they have "Retro Mode" so that the game can resemble those of the past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: MLB: The Show roots

I always consider MLB 98 (by SCEA) on PS1 the first in the series. MLB 99 was made by the same team. There was no game in 1999 (remember, these games were always one year ahead in title for some reason!). Then they came back with MLB 2001 under 989 Sports.

There was MLB Pennant Race on PS1 made by SCEA in 1996, but that game was spectacularly bad and resembled early 90s baseball games more than a "next gen" Playstation game. MLB 98 was the first 3D baseball game by Sony and the "MLB" series eventually became The Show, so I consider MLB 98 as the first.

We've come a long way...

Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

"The pitch..."
#WeAreND
Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
kac
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
I always consider MLB 98 (by SCEA) on PS1 the first in the series. MLB 99 was made by the same team. There was no game in 1999 (remember, these games were always one year ahead in title for some reason!). Then they came back with MLB 2001 under 989 Sports.

There was MLB Pennant Race on PS1 made by SCEA in 1996, but that game was spectacularly bad and resembled early 90s baseball games more than a "next gen" Playstation game. MLB 98 was the first 3D baseball game by Sony and the "MLB" series eventually became The Show, so I consider MLB 98 as the first.

We've come a long way...
If I remember correctly I thought it was Mlb pennant race than it changed to MLB. Nevermind didn't see the second part of your post.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by kac; 02-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
You know I think this game has better number placement then MLB The Show 18 does lol
Can we please not bring up uniforms in every thread?

As for the roots, I have all the MLB games except for the Pennant Chase ones. I did have these, but they have apparently been misplaced or I loaned them out and never got them back.

I've always enjoyed the MLB games, especially starting with MLB '99. Then I switched over to All-Star baseball as my main focus due to playing with an expansion team.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Can we please not bring up uniforms in every thread?

As for the roots, I have all the MLB games except for the Pennant Chase ones. I did have these, but they have apparently been misplaced or I loaned them out and never got them back.

I've always enjoyed the MLB games, especially starting with MLB '99. Then I switched over to All-Star baseball as my main focus due to playing with an expansion team.
Your right my bad

I will move this to the uniforms thread.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Rookie

pingponggame's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
We've come a long way...

Must be easier to hit the ball in today’s game. Woof that was a lot of whiffs. Lol
Old 02-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
"The pitch..."
Growing up with games like this is the reason why I don't get as bothered with commentary repetition in sports games. Because it will never be as bad as it used to be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »