Home

MLB The Show 18 Video - Bat Flips

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Video - Bat Flips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #49
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 Video - Bat Flips

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Because charging the mound depicts violence in the sport and they would rather not have that be showcased in a video game.

This is just flair. Sure in real life it may lead to a brawl, but in the video game that aspect isn't shown, therefore its not an issue.
yet when a brawl happens it is show 4 billion times on ESPN over and over again discussing it for everyone to see. what the show was going to be was very Timid from what Ramone said.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #50
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
yet when a brawl happens it is show 4 billion times on ESPN over and over again discussing it for everyone to see. what the show was going to be was very Timid from what Ramone said.
I'm not disagreeing with you in that regard.

You asked why MLB won't allow it in the video game, I explained the reasons as to why, that I picked up over the years.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #51
MVP

I think the fighting thing is to keep MLB looking like a family oriented sport that fans of all ages can watch. Of course brawls and fights happen but MLB won't promote those incidents. That's not what they're about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #52
Banned

Re: MLB The Show 18 Video - Bat Flips & Home Run Celebrations

Quote:
One of the aspects of a video game is that its supposed to be fun and that is what these over the top bat flips and home run celebrations bring to the game.

People looking for a true simulation may not want to use these in their franchise, season, or whatnot, but I can definitely see an audience that only plays RTTS or DD and that is looking for a more arcade/casual experience having a blast with these.

There is a broader audience at play than just the true hardcore sim gamer.
I understand that, Ted (I have no idea what your name is but Ted sounds good). The point I'm trying to make is that they shouldn't have wasted too many of their already minute resources to add something that doesn't really bring much to the game. Everyone is always defending them as not having enough resources to add certain things like create a stadium and the challenge system, but instead they're wasting those same resources on bat flips. I know there are arcade users to satisfy as well, but for something like this, it seems like a complete and utter waste. Let's stop giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of their already limited resources and start calling them out on adding miniscule features that almost no one asked for or cares about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #53
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you in that regard.

You asked why MLB won't allow it in the video game, I explained the reasons as to why, that I picked up over the years.
Oh I know why they don't allow it... my query really is why the hell are they allowing bat flips?

After what happened with Jose Bautista, the next year the bat flip was in the game. and that bat flip resulted in violence during the playoffs. I am having a go at the double standards of the MLB not SDS.

As for the topic at hand I can see a few peoples points in spending time doing bat flip over the top animations when they could have done more realistic animations. I guess they just wanted some fun into the game for a laugh.

I never play Retro mode or quick counts or any of that. so simply I just don't use it and ignore it and it won't effect me. if it was forced into the game then it is really a issue.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphof2018
I won’t, most wont. Time was taken away from improving the actual game to put this nonsense in. That’s the argument. You’ve got things that are still incorrect from 5 years ago in the game but arcade bat flips were made a priority to add.
This is exactly my point. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #55
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

As unrealistic, stupid, and ridiculous that these animations were put it and have been hyped so much, the fact that people are acting like this took away from other parts of the game is laughable. They just mo capped a few ridiculous bat flips and made them optional. The ones that work on this didn't not work on other parts because the added these. Do I like that they put these in? No, I think it's pretty dumb but to get all worked up about it is just as pointless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I understand that, Ted (I have no idea what your name is but Ted sounds good). The point I'm trying to make is that they shouldn't have wasted too many of their already minute resources to add something that doesn't really bring much to the game. Everyone is always defending them as not having enough resources to add certain things like create a stadium and the challenge system, but instead they're wasting those same resources on bat flips. I know there are arcade users to satisfy as well, but for something like this, it seems like a complete and utter waste. Let's stop giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of their already limited resources and start calling them out on adding miniscule features that almost no one asked for or cares about.

What we don't know, however, is when this was done. If they had a short amount of time near the end of the dev cycle, not enough to realistically get a large thing in, but only enough to get a small thing in, then I don't see the issue here. In that essence, it's not wasting resources.

I think they have earned the benefit of the doubt with the effort they put into the game that they didn't have two things on the docket, one being an important addition and the other being this, that they went with silly/chintzy over important.

They're imperfect. And I think there are questions they need to answer to, such as making sure servers are stable day 1, etc...but I also have faith that they're not the group that would decide to put something important on the backburner so your guy can "ride the pony" to 1st after a HR, either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »