Home

Do you guys get bored with MLB The Show?

This is a discussion on Do you guys get bored with MLB The Show? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #73
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you guys get bored with MLB The Show?

Not bored per se, but I did find myself becoming decidedly less and less impressed by the graphics the more I played. Upgrading to PS4 Pro and a 4K tv freshened things up for quite a bit in that department. Improved weather this year should help as well.

RTTS does become a grind when you're in the back end of a very long contract and your team falls out of contention. More variety of ways to complain to management/media and effect change would help. More sophisticated clubhouse dynamics in general would also help keep things fresh (the boost for international players playing with several compatriots is a good but limited start). And contract incentives with tangible benefits to earning more in-game money would be a game changer IMO.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #74
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

The OP touched on a sensitive subject. SDS has done a wonderful job with The Show. Somehow they manage to bring a yearly iteration of the game to market each year and they are to be commended for it. But... they are a small developer. And that is the problem I have. Not with SDS, but with Sony. The game of baseball in our country is a very popular piece of our culture. And Sony should have respected that and assigned a top level developer like they have with their other AAA titles. When you have a small developer making a game on a yearly basis, the improvements are not going to be prominent. That's why someone coming from The Show 15 to The Show 17 may feel the game is stale and boring.

SDS is doing the best they can and it has been remarkable. But the game is stagnant. And that's all on Sony.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #75
MVP

Yea that's a solid question.... with the major success of MLB The Show when does SDS get the means to grow to a larger team capable of doing more in the same time frame?

I think all of us would agree that they deserve it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #76
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba4
The OP touched on a sensitive subject. SDS has done a wonderful job with The Show. Somehow they manage to bring a yearly iteration of the game to market each year and they are to be commended for it. But... they are a small developer. And that is the problem I have. Not with SDS, but with Sony. The game of baseball in our country is a very popular piece of our culture. And Sony should have respected that and assigned a top level developer like they have with their other AAA titles. When you have a small developer making a game on a yearly basis, the improvements are not going to be prominent. That's why someone coming from The Show 15 to The Show 17 may feel the game is stale and boring.

SDS is doing the best they can and it has been remarkable. But the game is stagnant. And that's all on Sony.
SCEA isn't a top level developer? Them being a small group is probably an advantage to the game's development in certain aspects.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #77
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
SCEA isn't a top level developer? Them being a small group is probably an advantage to the game's development in certain aspects.
I would assume that "Top Level" would simply mean a bigger budget with a lot of assets for a game developer to apply to their titles. So SCEA is a top level manager. But San Diego Studios is the small but effective developer of the game.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellred
You're essentially saying that you're spoiled if you critique the game because we operate within different realities now. Okay. Are professional game critics spoiled because they don't get down on their knees and worship every new release? "ZOMG this is so much nicer than the NES games I played 20 years ago, please allow me to lap at thine boots oh beautiful masters of industry and gameplay wizardry hoohoohooo them 3D graphics." Cmon dude.

Everyone is entitled to critique a game, just because tech has increased in quality and scope exponentially over the course of time doesn't mean developers who have the luxury of operating with that tech are immune to criticism. Yeah were lucky to live in times where we have access to enhanced processing power and all kinds of neat things, for loads of more reasons than it happens to make video games more juicy. But that's neither here nor there. When our technological capabilities increase, so do our expectations. That's just logic. I would say in answer to "don't like it, don't buy it" that if you don't like dealing with those justified weighty expectations, don't get into software development.
Critique away, clearly you want too. The amount of time and effort these devs put into THIS baseball game is insane. If you think they should scrap MLB and start over, more power to you.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #79
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisP41174
Ok guys I haven't picked up MLB since 15. I decided to pick up 17 last week because it was on sale and cheap.

I literally got bored after the first 5 games. What does Sony need to do to make MLB fresh? It's not adding rain delays and it's not making the crowd attendance react to what's going on the field . I believe it's just that the game is stale now. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful game but Sony never really adds anything to make the game seem fresh.

I think Sony needs to start fresh and build a whole new game. Of course Sony won't do that because they don't need to because it's the only game on the market. But from my view point the game is getting stale and boring.

I am not knocking the game by any means but Sony for me to buy your baseball game you can't just make little upgrades year ater year. I know I will get crap for giving my point of view. Again, I am not knocking the game at all. Thank God Rynolds is not in 18. He was terrible in 17. Matt Vasgersan has to go. He makes the game boring lol. Get rid of Vasgersan for next year please lol.

Can I just ask people in this forum if I am right or wrong that the game gets boring after a while? I don't even play a whole season and I love baseball games. I think Sony needs a competitor in the baseball areana so they have competition. Tell me what you guys think?

I play this game almost exclusively (for past 2 years), and do not get bored of it until around February or March and then the new one is ready to come out haha. I played tons of NHL in the past (in the same manner) but that game is stale now in my opinion and the last few years I just can't get into it no matter how much I love hockey. I dabble in other games but always come back to the Show or NHL but right now it is always the Show.
NCAAF: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
NCCAB: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #80
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13

There are still things that can be added to the game to make it more "refreshed" though. Expansion/relocation, create-a-stadium, more franchise ins and outs, etc.

NHL very effectively added the expansion part of the game with creation components. That would be pretty cool to have as an option for baseball even though expansion/relocation might not happen for awhile.
NCAAF: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
NCCAB: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »