Home

Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS.

This is a discussion on Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS.

again with the microtransactions?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
More than buying packs or buying cards on the marketplace?

If they are not considering Packs or Cards as micro transactions then it is obvious that they are using a different definition than I am.

Well RttS is by far their most played mode so it makes sense the purchases in that mode out number those in DD. Also starting last year that made it possible to earn an all 99 ovr team through the programs so I wouldn’t be surprised if the number of packs purchased dipped a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
More than buying packs or buying cards on the marketplace?

If they are not considering Packs or Cards as micro transactions then it is obvious that they are using a different definition than I am.
They never once denied those weren't microtransactions. I do not know where people are getting this information from and it seems like there's too much mental gymnastics over some **** that's pretty much all optional, and now since the removal rtts progression no longer hampers offline modes.

Sent from Tatooine using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
They never once denied those weren't microtransactions. I do not know where people are getting this information from and it seems like there's too much mental gymnastics over some **** that's pretty much all optional, and now since the removal rtts progression no longer hampers offline modes.

I never meant to imply that they denied that they were micro transactions. it was more my disbelief that RTTS training point transactions even comes close to the number of card packs and cards that are purchased in DD, let alone surpasses them.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS.

Quote:
I never meant to imply that they denied that they were micro transactions. it was more my disbelief that RTTS training point transactions even comes close to the number of card packs and cards that are purchased in DD, let alone surpasses them.
We don't know the exact numbers, and I'm sure the card packs are more, but they did say it was up there as far as transactions.

The good news is, they were removed from progression, when it could have gotten much worse judging by the industry trends.

Yet people want to focus on semantics, not saying you, but a few in here as well as across the internet, rather than looking at the big picture, and using more nuanced assessments.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 03-12-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Some people take stuff to literal. My understanding for Micros were simple. In order to progress in the game, you don't need to buy anything, just play the game. Very simple and succinct statement. Too much over thinking and analyzing.
lol Wut? Microtransactions is exactly what it sounds like. It's a small purchase done to get particular access/item/advantage/whatever from a particular game, usually, but not always, in addition to the actual purchase of said game. Mobile games and stuff like that operate purely off the microtransaction model in many cases, giving you the base game for free.

There's nothing to or not to take literally, that's what it is, unless there's some alternate definition for it that I'm not aware of, it's not really open to interpretation. There's a few reasons why people don't like this type of model in their game:

1. Pay 2 win dynamics
2. Gambling dynamics
3. Prioritization on creating content for people who use microtransaction and neglecting people who do not, for obvious reasons.

I'm sure there are others but those are the main ones that I know of. You can make the argument the MLB The Show emphasizes all three of those aspects in their microtransaction model.

It is what it is, I'm just calling a pig a pig. As I said earlier, they could have a more intrusive model for microtransactions if they wanted to, a lot of games could. But lets not make it seem like they don't have all those aspects in their game, because they do.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Personally, one of the best things about the show is that the microtransactions are so minor, they border on insignificant. Compared to all the other sports games, it's by far the most generous with rewards and giving you stuff so that micro transactions aren't remotely necessary. They are as they should be, shortcuts for people who lack the time to do it the hard way, it doesn't give them an advantage, it just helps them get to where other people are. It's not pay to win as anyone can get great teams very easily and it's not a barrier to non-payers as the game is so generous with the rewards for actually playing the game.

That's why I don't really get taking out boosts in RTTS, as it wasn't hurting anyone and all it did was make life a little easier for people who wanted it. obviously you couldn't buy training points as that system is gone (thankfully), but the ability to maybe buy a 2x or even 4x boost to your performance rewards is something they could maybe look at adding somewhere down the line to help out those with less time?

I'd also much prefer to see equipment be something you earnt through sponsorships in RTTS rather than having to buy/pack, but that's probably a different discussion
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #16
Banned

So if you're playing Monopoly and you slip the person playing as the banker a $20 bill in return for 10,000 additional Monopoly money, that's not pay 2 win cause you could've potentially earned those Monopoly bucks anyways just by playing the game? Lol just no. Pay 2 win doesn't require that you only be able to obtain what you're paying for via RL money. If some person buys 500k stubs with RL money and buys Mike Trout live series off the marketplace, it's not disqualified from being in the pay 2 win thing just cause you have like a 0.001 percent chance of getting him in a pack normally. And if buying stubs using IRL clout to buy hard to obtain players on the marketplace isn't getting an advantage over players who just play normally, I'd hate to see the definition of what actual pay 2 win is then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »