Home

Frame rate seems choppy

This is a discussion on Frame rate seems choppy within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Frame rate seems choppy

theres a standard ps4 and then the "pro" is a 4K Ps4
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Rookie

xNeurosiis's Arena

A lot of people aren’t understanding it, so I’ll break it down best I can.

It is impossible for the game to run at 4K HDR at 60fps (smooth framerate). It typically runs at 30fps, which makes it look choppy. Only the absolute highest end PCs can do native 4K at 60fps.

That’s why there are 3 rendering modes:

1080p - full HD resolution, with a solid 60fps. Since it’s taking less computing power to render at a lower resolution (lower than 4K), that extra headroom allows for a smoother framerate.

1440p - as you increase the resolution, the framerate takes a hit. It’s a smaller hit here, compared to 4K, but still noticeable.

2160p (4K) - with the top resolution selected, we see better ambient occlusion, but that’s about it. Unlike PC games, there isn’t a full set of graphics sliders to tweak the balance between resolution and framerate. At 4K, the PS4 Pro can only handle a framerate of 30fps.

If you want a smoother gameplay experience, and you’re on a 1080p TV, select the 1080p mode. If you want better shadows and better overall sharpness, then you’re going to suffer in the framerate department.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNeurosiis
A lot of people aren’t understanding it, so I’ll break it down best I can.

It is impossible for the game to run at 4K HDR at 60fps (smooth framerate). It typically runs at 30fps, which makes it look choppy. Only the absolute highest end PCs can do native 4K at 60fps.

That’s why there are 3 rendering modes:

1080p - full HD resolution, with a solid 60fps. Since it’s taking less computing power to render at a lower resolution (lower than 4K), that extra headroom allows for a smoother framerate.

1440p - as you increase the resolution, the framerate takes a hit. It’s a smaller hit here, compared to 4K, but still noticeable.

2160p (4K) - with the top resolution selected, we see better ambient occlusion, but that’s about it. Unlike PC games, there isn’t a full set of graphics sliders to tweak the balance between resolution and framerate. At 4K, the PS4 Pro can only handle a framerate of 30fps.

If you want a smoother gameplay experience, and you’re on a 1080p TV, select the 1080p mode. If you want better shadows and better overall sharpness, then you’re going to suffer in the framerate department.
Also to add to what you said, HDMI 2.0 can't handle 4k @ 60FPS, 4k @ 60FPS would require a Display Port cable. So it doesn't matter if the system can handle it or not, it's not gonna happen because there isn't a Display Port.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

When I was installing it was choppy as hell, even on faster on a Pro. Once it was installed it was buttery smooth.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Rookie

xNeurosiis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield
Also to add to what you said, HDMI 2.0 can't handle 4k @ 60FPS, 4k @ 60FPS would require a Display Port cable. So it doesn't matter if the system can handle it or not, it's not gonna happen because there isn't a Display Port.
Not challenging you, just genuinely curious - what display cable do PCs use to do 4K @ 60? I thought they ran HDMI?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Not challenging you, just genuinely curious - what display cable do PCs use to do 4K @ 60? I thought they ran HDMI?
Newer versions of HDMI can run 4k 60 fps, but most monitors have both HDMI and display port inputs. Most people use displayport these days.

Edit: The reason why most gaming monitors use DisplayPort is because HDMI isn't capable of running Gsync or FreeSync (which are basically lag free versions of Vsync, a technique used to prevent screen tearing and other minute graphical glitches).

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 03-23-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #15
Rookie

xNeurosiis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Newer versions of HDMI can run 4k 60 fps, but most monitors have both HDMI and display port inputs. Most people use displayport these days.

Edit: The reason why most gaming monitors use DisplayPort is because HDMI isn't capable of running Gsync or FreeSync (which are basically lag free versions of Vsync, a technique used to prevent screen tearing and other minute graphical glitches).

Ah, that’s right. I forgot about Gsync and FreeSync. Nvidia and AMD, respectively, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #16
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Ah, that’s right. I forgot about Gsync and FreeSync. Nvidia and AMD, respectively, right?
yup

10 characters

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »