Home

Best Pitches for the different archetypes

This is a discussion on Best Pitches for the different archetypes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #73
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best Pitches for the different archetypes

So with a flamethrower, it makes sense to have a good amount of pitches that have good velocity to them and 1 or 2 that have a nice change in velocity to keep the hitter off balance.

With a plain-filthy archetype, it makes sense to have pitches with lots of movement in different directions.

What type of pitches do you believe make sense for a control freak archetype? I mean I envision Greg Maddux (He had a 2 seam/sinker, circle change, cutter, curve, supposedly also a 4 seam and splitter if wikipedia is to be believed but brooksbaseball doesn't have either of those last two. Although they only have what he threw in 07.) but are there any pitchers that you immediately think control freak for.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #74
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar121388
So with a flamethrower, it makes sense to have a good amount of pitches that have good velocity to them and 1 or 2 that have a nice change in velocity to keep the hitter off balance.

With a plain-filthy archetype, it makes sense to have pitches with lots of movement in different directions.

What type of pitches do you believe make sense for a control freak archetype? I mean I envision Greg Maddux (He had a 2 seam/sinker, circle change, cutter, curve, supposedly also a 4 seam and splitter if wikipedia is to be believed but brooksbaseball doesn't have either of those last two. Although they only have what he threw in 07.) but are there any pitchers that you immediately think control freak for.
Control is probably the hardest archetype for The Show to represent as normally they have their base pitches, but they also tend to put wrinkles in them throughout the game, varying their velocities and movement more on each pitch that ends up making batters feel like they actually have a dozen pitches in their repertoire.

Think you are definitely looking at one or two of the moving fastballs, Cutter, 2-Seam, Runner, Sinker as the primary pitch.

Changeup of some type certainly for a secondary, maybe a splitter.

Choice of breaking ball after that as the third pitch.

Rest is somewhat fill in.

I could easily see this as a combo:

1: Sinker - With control maybe the most devastating primary pitch able to constantly get ground ball outs.
2: Splitter - With a sinker already in the arsenal, this one breaks a bit more, and might be able to get you a few Ks.
3: Sweeping Curve - You already have two pitches that break down, though not as much as other curveballs, but lets compromise and get some lateral movement also.
4: Changeup - This has less downward break than the other changeup options, which is what we want here. Get batters out in front and actually under this pitch for high popouts.
5: Cutter - Still my favorite fastball in the game, should become your fastest pitch and still has some movement to bother hitters. Will be a problem for opposite handed batters which we are otherwise fairly limited in attacking right now.

Last edited by Kentaurus; 04-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #75
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaurus
Control is probably the hardest archetype for The Show to represent as normally they have their base pitches, but they also tend to put wrinkles in them throughout the game, varying their velocities and movement more on each pitch that ends up making batters feel like they actually have a dozen pitches in their repertoire.

Think you are definitely looking at one or two of the moving fastballs, Cutter, 2-Seam, Runner, Sinker as the primary pitch.

Changeup of some type certainly for a secondary, maybe a splitter.

Choice of breaking ball after that as the third pitch.

Rest is somewhat fill in.

I could easily see this as a combo:

1: Sinker - With control maybe the most devastating primary pitch able to constantly get ground ball outs.
2: Splitter - With a sinker already in the arsenal, this one breaks a bit more, and might be able to get you a few Ks.
3: Sweeping Curve - You already have two pitches that break down, though not as much as other curveballs, but lets compromise and get some lateral movement also.
4: Changeup - This has less downward break than the other changeup options, which is what we want here. Get batters out in front and actually under this pitch for high popouts.
5: Cutter - Still my favorite fastball in the game, should become your fastest pitch and still has some movement to bother hitters. Will be a problem for opposite handed batters which we are otherwise fairly limited in attacking right now.
Wow, great suggestions with excellent reasoning. Would you possibly switch the order of some because some pitches are hard to find on teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #76
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar121388
Wow, great suggestions with excellent reasoning. Would you possibly switch the order of some because some pitches are hard to find on teams.
I think that is always reasonable with how this game works. I'm not sure what exactly is easy or hard to get, I'd imagine of that group Sweeping Curve is the hardest to find, splitter probably next, and I had them as the 2 and 3 so both should be instantly available. Sinker, Change, and Cutter are all pretty common I think and honestly that Cutter could probably be replaced by a 4-Seam if you are really struggling to find it and determined to add that 5th pitch.

My plain filthy archetype pitcher added a 4-seam as a 5th pitch, and honestly I really like it a lot. I don't use it a ton, so maybe that is why, but it seems really easy to put into a corner of the strikezone getting me lots of soft contact or misses.

Last edited by Kentaurus; 04-14-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #77
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaurus
I think that is always reasonable with how this game works. I'm not sure what exactly is easy or hard to get, I'd imagine of that group Sweeping Curve is the hardest to find, splitter probably next, and I had them as the 2 and 3 so both should be instantly available. Sinker, Change, and Cutter are all pretty common I think and honestly that Cutter could probably be replaced by a 4-Seam if you are really struggling to find it and determined to add that 5th pitch.

My plain filthy archetype pitcher added a 4-seam as a 5th pitch, and honestly I really like it a lot. I don't use it a ton, so maybe that is why, but it seems really easy to put into a corner of the strikezone getting me lots of soft contact or misses.
That makes sense. Cutters can be hard depending on the team. I got picked by the Mets and there is no one with a cutter for my plain filthy pitcher's 5th pitch.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #78
MVP

OVR: 2

I played a number of games yesterday where my RTTS starting pitcher was just promoted to the Show and I was pitching on the HoF difficulty level meaning I was actually pitching on Legend if what is said about the difficulty levels in RTTS is true. Oh and I bring up what difficulty level I was playing on as well as I was pitching against MLB batters for a reason. When I was in AA and even AAA playing on HoF, I never feared the batters. Yes there were times when they got hits off of me. But I never really feared them and it seemed like I could always get out of trouble because I could use any one of my pitches at pretty much anytime I wanted. Throwing fast balls followed by Changeups was a successful pattern. Throw in a slider and a curve and there you had it, inning over. But it's different at the MLB level playing on Legend and I don't know what I would have done had I not had access to the Sinker.

My RTTS pitcher has the 4SFB, Changeup, Slider, Sinker and Knuckle Curve. Clearly the 4SFB is the most frequently used pitch. But the MLB batters really punished me if I over used the Changeup and they pretty much punished me regardless of the pitch if I left it over the plate. But while the 4SFB was still my workhorse, the Sinker was the pitch that I felt kept my head above the water. I had to be very careful how and when I used the Changeup and the Slider was just there to try and get strikeouts. The Curve ball? I threw it a few times, but I used it very sparingly partly because it is the least developed of my RTTS pitch types but also because I was fearful the batters would crush if they ever made solid contact on it.

I cannot speak to all the other pitch types available to us in the game. But for me the level of importance for the five pitch types my RTTS MLB pitcher has is 4SFB, Sinker, Changeup, Slider and then the curve. Plus when I played a game with another RTTS pitcher who is still in AA, I really felt like I was missing something because he does not have the Sinker. I had to use the 4SFB as if it was the Sinker in my AA games, but AA hitters are not the same as MLB hitters. I kind of wish the game would allow us to more easily drop and/or pickup new pitches in our RTTS careers. But it is what it is.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-16-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #79
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

yea I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be without either a 2-Seam, Running or Sinker. One of the fastball types with at least little bit of downward movement. You might be able to get away with using a Spitter to fill that void. I too love my sinker, but I'm also super careful with it, staying on the corners or the very bottom of the zone.

Basically I look at it as an effectiveness vs danger option.
2-Seam and Runner, leave them up not good, but not horrible either.
Sinker, leaving it up you better pray you are on a corner cause otherwise it gets hit hard.
Splitter, up = hammered.

But likewise the Splitter when thrown well is the most devastating, with the Sinker next, and the more normal fastballs less effective overall but less volatile.

I guess if you are a flamethrower build, you may not need those since you can work a hard fastball up in the zone more comfortably.

Last edited by Kentaurus; 04-16-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #80
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

Okay so from some reading, we can develop pitches based on other pitchers Arsenal’s on our team? How does that work ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »