Home

Out of the box settings

This is a discussion on Out of the box settings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Out of the box settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield
No, not really.
My average real life game time is about an hour and 40 minutes.
Real-life as in you actually play baseball, or your time to finish a game of The Show is an hour and 40 minutes? Man, I could not imagine spending that much time on one game of The Show! If you can, great, everyone plays differently. I'd imagine you use broadcast settings, no quick counts, and never skip cutscenes?

Or did you mean between an hour and 40 minutes? I use quick counts, and watch about half of the cutscenes, and I'm done in about 25 to 35 minutes.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
Real-life as in you actually play baseball, or your time to finish a game of The Show is an hour and 40 minutes? Man, I could not imagine spending that much time on one game of The Show! If you can, great, everyone plays differently. I'd imagine you use broadcast settings, no quick counts, and never skip cutscenes?

Or did you mean between an hour and 40 minutes? I use quick counts, and watch about half of the cutscenes, and I'm done in about 25 to 35 minutes.
I like taking my time playing my MLB The Show games in the Franchise mode as well as RTTS games played with the full Broadcast presentation with Quick Counts disabled and a minimal amount of button mashing between plays (of course button mashing will depend on my mood). My MoM Franchise games on average take about 2 hours to complete while the RTTS appear to be a little shorter at about 1 hour and 45 minutes. It is what it is. Oh and I also play some hyper accelerated RTTS games.

Some people think if your games takes more that 'X' minutes to play you are simply not playing baseball while others think playing hyper accelerated games where all the fielding is done in "The Matrix" slow mo is well ... arcade'ish. With all that said, there are some really cool stadium scape cut scenes that have been added between innings in this this year's MLB 18 game that those who don't play on Broadcast mode and/or button mash miss out on. Then again I really liked the intro video of MLB 18, but I button mash through that. I guess the good thing is SDS allows us to play the game many different ways. I am sure I am in the minority when it comes to liking to take everything in at a slower pace and perhaps it's because in baseball there is no clock. Or perhaps it's something else.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Pro

Herschie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I like taking my time playing my MLB The Show games in the Franchise mode as well as RTTS games played with the full Broadcast presentation with Quick Counts disabled and a minimal amount of button mashing between plays (of course button mashing will depend on my mood). My MoM Franchise games on average take about 2 hours to complete while the RTTS appear to be a little shorter at about 1 hour and 45 minutes. It is what it is. Oh and I also play some hyper accelerated RTTS games.

Some people think if your games takes more that 'X' minutes to play you are simply not playing baseball while others think playing hyper accelerated games where all the fielding is done in "The Matrix" slow mo is well ... arcade'ish. With all that said, there are some really cool stadium scape cut scenes that have been added between innings in this this year's MLB 18 game that those who don't play on Broadcast mode and/or button mash miss out on. Then again I really liked the intro video of MLB 18, but I button mash through that. I guess the good thing is SDS allows us to play the game many different ways. I am sure I am in the minority when it comes to liking to take everything in at a slower pace and perhaps it's because in baseball there is no clock. Or perhaps it's something else.
That's the beauty of video games, you get to play as you see fit. Me, I could never find 2 hours without being interrupted, nor would I ever get through a 162 game season if I took that long to finish one game.

That said, the topic here is "out of the box settings ". The patches seem to have glitched-up games that use quick-manage, something I used to do every game. Because of that, I have quit using that, and have actually started to enjoy the games a bit more. After all, the point of playing is to enjoy a good game of baseball, not just see how quickly you can get done.

I might try your settings once or twice. I remember how enjoyable 12 was because of that, and the games took longer, due to the lack of quick-counts, and quick-manage. Though back then, time wasn't as scarce to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #12
Rookie

detroitlions12's Arena

Completely agree. Out of the box I felt like the hit types were so varied and now it just feels exactly like 17. Something has definitely changed when they increased the pitch speed. I was getting bloop singles, curving hits down the line were actually landing fair. I’m just not seeing the same hit types as when the game first dropped.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie

I meant it takes me about an hour and 40 minutes to play a game of MLB The Show 18. I said real life game time because at the end the announcer says the time of the game, and I wasn't talking about that. As far as actually playing baseball in real life, I haven't played since highschool / Babe Ruth league, and that was like 20 years ago.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield
I meant it takes me about an hour and 40 minutes to play a game of MLB The Show 18. I said real life game time because at the end the announcer says the time of the game, and I wasn't talking about that.
So this is off topic concerning "Out of the box settings", but have ever noticed that if your MLB The Show game is completed within the stantard 9 innings, the announcer in post game summary window will say "Time of the game X hours and Y minutes" where of course X and Y vary but are usually within the 2 or 3 hours limits. However if the game goes into extra innings, the announcer reverts to the actual real world time it took you to play the game. A week or so ago I played a 16 inning Franchise game on full Broadcast mode. A game like this should have been in the 5 to 6 hour time frame had it actually been a real world game. But the announcer didn't say 5 or 6 hours, he said 3 hours and blah blah blah minutes which was the time I spent in the real world playing this 16 inning semi-marathon game.

Anyway just an observation. Back on topic ... haha
Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlions12
Completely agree. Out of the box I felt like the hit types were so varied and now it just feels exactly like 17. Something has definitely changed when they increased the pitch speed. I was getting bloop singles, curving hits down the line were actually landing fair. I’m just not seeing the same hit types as when the game first dropped.

I have to agree. It doesn’t feel “exactly like 17”, but there does seem to be less hit variety now compared to before the patches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Yep, something has changed. Not seeing the nice slice/curve shots down the line that was in before the patches. It's just a shame. It's not as bad as in 17 but it is definitely not like it was when 18 was released without the patches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »