Home

Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...??

This is a discussion on Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...??

Am I the only one who does this? The AI is atrocious at managing their bullpen, deciding which pitcher to bring in and RARELY use mound visits to get pitcher's confidence up.

They don't have the intelligence to play lefty vs lefty matchups or vice versa. I'd love to know how the cpu decides which MRP to bring in.

I honestly enjoy the game much more when I switch over control and use mound visits properly for them, and bring in the more realistic pitcher from the bullpen.

Also, I don't think they factor in the amount of stamina left and will bring in guys who realistically should have a day off unless it's an emergency.

Lastly, the cpu leaves in their RP far too long. They don't believe in working one inning, maybe 1.1ip and that's it. No, let's leave him in as long as he has an ounce of stamina left seems to be their logic.

Does anyone else do what I do and switch control to help them out?? If so, what kind of strategies do you use to help them? Is there any way to fix this to where I don't have to manage their bullpen for them? Been doing this since MLB 16 now myself.

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-19-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...??

I don't have any answers, just more questions. On the loading screen it sometimes says mound visits can give your current pitcher a confidence boost. Does anyone know what those situations are? I always only use them when I'm bringing in another pitcher, for the immersion factor. But if it can help a pitcher I'd like to know how to get the most out of mound visits.

Also, off topic, in Show 19 I hope relievers go from 'pen to mound in a cutscene via a team cart lol

A Work in Progress
Old 04-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #3
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I don't have any answers, just more questions. On the loading screen it sometimes says mound visits can give your current pitcher a confidence boost. Does anyone know what those situations are? I always only use them when I'm bringing in another pitcher, for the immersion factor. But if it can help a pitcher I'd like to know how to get the most out of mound visits.

Also, off topic, in Show 19 I hope relievers go from 'pen to mound in a cutscene via a team cart lol
Mound visits, when used correctly do boost the confidence for a pitcher. If you watch baseball irl you'll understand when and how to use them properly.

Mound visits can also drop confidence if used incorrectly. For example, starting off an inning with one will drop his confidence. Which makes sense because as the manager you're telling him you think he needs a pep talk before he even faces a batter.

Also, they can be used to give pitchers warming in the bullpen a quick sudden jolt of "readiness". The bar fills half way from zero with a mound visit. My advice is to definitely use them and with experience you'll learn when and what works best.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 04-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Lastly, the cpu leaves in their RP far too long. They don't believe in working one inning, maybe 1.1ip and that's it. No, let's leave him in as long as he has an ounce of stamina left seems to be their logic.

Does anyone else do what I do and switch control to help them out?? If so, what kind of strategies do you use to help them? Is there any way to fix this to where I don't have to manage their bullpen for them? Been doing this since MLB 16 now myself.

I don't do this, I don't like messing with the other teams much.

I don't have any solution - if it comes to it, I'll just raise the CPU RP Stamina slider. At least they won't die from exhaustion.

I'm hoping max manager hook will do it, and it seems to help...though what you describe still happens, especially in LR duty.

I'm hoping it's a bug (it seems like it) and it will get fixed from the devs. It's like a flag or something isn't triggering.

I might start doing it in certain situations, but I really, really don't want to have to play both teams, so to speak!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

I'm hoping max manager hook will do it, and it seems to help...though what you describe still happens, especially in LR duty.

I'm hoping it's a bug (it seems like it) and it will get fixed from the devs. It's like a flag or something isn't triggering.

I might start doing it in certain situations, but I really, really don't want to have to play both teams, so to speak!

Maxing manager hook helps SOME but not really lol. And definitely not a bug cause it's been like this for as long as I can remember on this game. Like I said, I've been doing this now since MLB 16 when I just got so annoyed by it I had to do something.

It really isn't that big of a hassle to do but I understand why you don't want to do it. I prefer it to work properly and not have to as well but I start feeling bad when I'm torching a RP and they leave him in the game and never even perform a single mound visit.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield

Mound visits seem to work for the younger pitchers on my staff in terms of boosting their confidence after they give up some hits and/or runs. But I need to be careful with the veterans. They don't seem to like it when I interrupt them. With my veterans I tend to just $uck it up, let them stay out there and if they can work their way out of the mess, then great. Otherwise I need to put someone else in and hope for the best.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
Mound visits seem to work for the younger pitchers on my staff in terms of boosting their confidence after they give up some hits and/or runs. But I need to be careful with the veterans. They don't seem to like it when I interrupt them. With my veterans I tend to just $uck it up, let them stay out there and if they can work their way out of the mess, then great. Otherwise I need to put someone else in and hope for the best.
I never noticed this lol...makes sense though if it does work like that.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 0

It is like by far the worst part of the game and has been for years and years. CPU will like never bring in a left to just get one guy out kind of thing and a guy who should only pitch 1 inning will throw like 3-4. I have also no once yes not once seen the CPU do a mound visit this year. One thing i am wondering and have never tried before is having RP stamina at like 0 or something and also i have thought about brining up CPU manager hock at max when CPU goes to the bullpen but its annoying to have to try to remember to do that ever single like game and i also don't know if it would really make things better or not. Has any one messed with those 2 sliders to see if it helps?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »