Home

Strike zone

This is a discussion on Strike zone within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1
Strike zone

Will the show ever implement a consistent strike zone? I mean every single game is simply CB Bucknor level bad behind the plate. Pitches that are completely in the strike zone are hardly ever missed in real life, but yet its hard to go a full inning without seeing this once in the show.

At this point should we not have consistent umpires? How hard is it to have specific umpires that either have a small or big strike zone. One pitch can be a strike, and then you follow up the next pitch in the same exact location and its a BALL?!

I think the biggest indicator in the strike zone logic needs to be reworked are the warm up pitches. Balls completely in the zone are often called balls, DURING WARM UPS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Strike zone

Does the real MLB have consistent strike zones? Do real life umpires make mistake calls? I think the strike zones in the game are perfect and don't need to be reworked or changed at all.

You can have actual perfect strike zones however. In settings, you can set umpires to direct I believe instead of personal. Ive never used the setting, but I believe it will call anything in the box a strike and anything out a ball.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I imagine we'll get perfect umps when real life baseball does.
That is to say, when humans stop making video games and Skynet starts.
I personally love it that the Show umps make me as mad as IRL do.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

feel like it's much improved this year
Old 04-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Does the real MLB have consistent strike zones? Do real life umpires make mistake calls? I think the strike zones in the game are perfect and don't need to be reworked or changed at all.

You can have actual perfect strike zones however. In settings, you can set umpires to direct I believe instead of personal. Ive never used the setting, but I believe it will call anything in the box a strike and anything out a ball.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Um yes, umpires have consistent strike zones. Some will call high, some will call low, small big.Do they miss calls, yes. My issue is, the shows umpire never have any consistency with their calls. To hear the commentators say, this is how so and so calls the game..to then watch them be utterly random on every pitch is just bad.

I dont want them to be perfect. Heck i dont mind bad called games. But pitch to pitch, inning to inning, its all over the place. Pitchers and batters look for the umps tendencies early in the game. In the show, they have no tendency. Its completely random on if it will be a ball or strike. Again the warm pitches illustrate this the best.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
Um yes, umpires have consistent strike zones. Some will call high, some will call low, small big.Do they miss calls, yes. My issue is, the shows umpire never have any consistency with their calls. To hear the commentators say, this is how so and so calls the game..to then watch them be utterly random on every pitch is just bad.

I dont want them to be perfect. Heck i dont mind bad called games. But pitch to pitch, inning to inning, its all over the place. Pitchers and batters look for the umps tendencies early in the game. In the show, they have no tendency. Its completely random on if it will be a ball or strike. Again the warm pitches illustrate this the best.
I understand what you are saying. I know what you mean also. Umps arent consistent though. Ive seen plenty of games (real life games just this year so far) where 1 pitch low and out is called a strike and the next pitch put in that exact area (and close to the same spot be called a ball and it was actually in the zone that time and closer to if not actually a strike. Umpires for the most part are all horrid this year. Which will lead to the "electronic strike zone" talk again. Which by the way, I am 100% totally against. Pitchers just have so much movement, that I can watch a catcher clearly move his glove 3 ft (maybe a slight exaggeration) and the umpire will buy it. But thats real life, and this is a game. So I will say, it does happen, but it may happen more in MLBTS. Im ok with it though. It makes the game a better challenge when the pitcher is trying to paint the corners and its a win some lose some. Its helped me and has hurt me.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Strike zone

Quote:
Will the show ever implement a consistent strike zone? I mean every single game is simply CB Bucknor level bad behind the plate. Pitches that are completely in the strike zone are hardly ever missed in real life, but yet its hard to go a full inning without seeing this once in the show.

At this point should we not have consistent umpires? How hard is it to have specific umpires that either have a small or big strike zone. One pitch can be a strike, and then you follow up the next pitch in the same exact location and its a BALL?!

I think the biggest indicator in the strike zone logic needs to be reworked are the warm up pitches. Balls completely in the zone are often called balls, DURING WARM UPS!

Strike zones in real life are inconsistent. One AB, I’ll find myself laughing at my own luck, and others, it’s cursing it. The Umps in this game have varying strike zones, which I absolutely love.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
Pro

dazzelle's Arena

Quote:
My issue is, the shows umpire never have any consistency with their calls. To hear the commentators say, this is how so and so calls the game..to then watch them be utterly random on every pitch is just bad.
Have to agree with this, a umpires trait/personality needs to be 100% accurate so as to distinguish them from each other.

The umpire in my last game was described as a offensive players dream as he squeezed pitchers east-west. I can't say that i saw anymore pitches that were 50 50 called strikes but i did notice when pitches clearly inside the zone were called balls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »