Home

Starting to have some baserunning issues

This is a discussion on Starting to have some baserunning issues within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Starting to have some baserunning issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Ok...my mistake.

From reading the controls, in that situation it reads as though you should've pressed triangle and then down on the d-pad to make the runner from 2nd advance to home without stopping at 3rd base.

I think what happened is that he was just advancing a single base and didn't have the "wave thru" by the 3rd base coach so he thought he was stopping at 3rd. When you then pressed square to highlight him and advance him home, it was registered as a 2nd command to take place once the first command played out.

I hope that made sense.
Must be an issue with the coding there because the player command should always trump the Ai one. Nasty bug that one.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
Must be an issue with the coding there because the player command should always trump the Ai one. Nasty bug that one.
I can't say one way or the other because I don't use Classic base running method.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
If youve played a whole lot of games, and have never seen this, until two games in a row, i would be more apt to think it was a controller issue, than a game issue. Seems like if it were a bug it would have surfaceed much sooner, and not that closely together, but anything is possible - bugs dont always make sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
Rookie

I have a similar issue maybe people can help me with here so I don't have to start a new thread? This happens all the time to me, I'll have someone on second, I hit a obvious base hit into the outfield. Should be enough to score the guy from second, or be close at least. But then the guy from second slides into third despite the outfielder not being close to even throwing the ball yet? What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway_sub
I have a similar issue maybe people can help me with here so I don't have to start a new thread? This happens all the time to me, I'll have someone on second, I hit a obvious base hit into the outfield. Should be enough to score the guy from second, or be close at least. But then the guy from second slides into third despite the outfielder not being close to even throwing the ball yet? What am I doing wrong?
Which base running mechanic are you using?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
I'll go over the situation I was in.

I had runners on 1st and 2nd. With Derek Dietrich up. He hits a soft liner over Pirela at SS into Left-Center field.

Castro takes off from 2nd so I immediately press Square to highlight him and push down on the D-pad but it hasn't registered. Keep pressing, still hasn't registered. He basically walks into 3rd and then finally decides to go home and after he touches 3rd. But by then Myers already has it in to the cut-off man.
Not sure if you misspoke by saying Square, but Triangle is definitely the button to push until he actually reaches 3rd. Im sure you knew this, but maybe you accidentally really did push Square, which would explain why he didn't decide to ho home until he touched third. Maybe? Ive made mistakes before on mechanics i usually can do without thinking. Maybe its a brain/muscle memory slump lol. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway_sub
You probably need to either use L1 to keep him moving toward the plate, (i dont recommend habitually using L1, because it can run other runners into trouble). Or get in the habit of sending runners individually, (or - use L1, then pick specific runners)

The best way, in my opinion, is to send runners individually. To do this:

If using Classic:

1) Choose the runner. In this case, the runner on 2nd would be Triangle (the icon actually has a triangle on it. Make sure it highlights the baserunner icon on the HUD)

2) Hit down on the D-Pad to choose Home (Make sure the runner icon on the HUD says HOME)

If using Default:

1) Choose the runner. Do this by pushing UP on the left stick for a runner on 2nd. (Make sure it highlights the baserunner icon on the HUD)

2) Hit the X Button to send him Home. (Make sure the runner icon on the HUD says HOME)

This would be the method for any runners on any base, and choosing the final base where you want them to stop. Muscle memory will eventually kick in and you fluidly send runners wherever you want them without running other baserunners into trouble.

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 07-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #16
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

I use classic baserunning because I refuse to take the time to learn how to do it any other way and I have never had this issue pop up. Usually I make sure to hold down the L1 button in situations like this. It's no issue for me to do it like that because by the time I release the L1 button the runner from 2nd has already made the turn around 3rd and is headed for home and the batter runner hasn't made it to 1st yet so he stops at 1st like I want him to do.

If it looks like it might end up getting me in trouble I just override it and quickly press the button of the runner I want to edit and press the directional button for the base I want him to stop at. It's very seamless. Baserunning is about the only thing I never screw up.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

Last edited by AUTiger1; 07-19-2018 at 01:28 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »