Home

Starting to have some baserunning issues

This is a discussion on Starting to have some baserunning issues within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0
Starting to have some baserunning issues

This has happened in back to back games now.

I have a runner at 2nd and I get a short liner over the shortstop into left-center.

Runner from 2nd takes off so I highlight him and tell him to go home and I'm literally mashing the Down D-pad button. But he won't run for home, he just goes to 3rd and stops and then finally gets the command to go home.

Anyone else having this issue lately?

Last edited by Vanilla_Gorilla; 07-18-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Re: Starting to have some baserunning issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
This has happened in back to back games now.

I have a runner at 2nd and I get a short liner over the shortstop into left-center.

Runner from 2nd takes off so I highlight him and tell him to go home and I'm literally mashing the Down D-pad button. But he won't run for home, he just goes to 3rd and stops and then finally gets the command to go home.

Anyone else having this issue lately?
I guess im not familiar with the baserunning interface that you use. Do you have to select the runner before pushing the d-pad down to select home?

The bad thing about settling in to a certain play style is i forget how the others work. For me, i select the runner with the left stick, and the correct runner is highlighted on the baserunning hud. I then select home by pushing X, and home lights up, letting me know he got the command.

Do you see this on these occasions, to let you know he is aware he is being sent home before he even gets to 3rd? Just trying to picture exactly what you are seeing.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I'm confused as I'm not aware of a base running mechanic that uses the D-pad to send runners to bases. In assisted/manual, which is what I use, you select the baserunner using the L-Stick and then press the corresponding base you want that highlighted runner to go to:

Circle = 1st Base
Triangle = 2nd Base
Square = 3rd Base
X = Home

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I guess im not familiar with the baserunning interface that you use. Do you have to select the runner before pushing the d-pad down to select home?

The bad thing about settling in to a certain play style is i forget how the others work. For me, i select the runner with the left stick, and the correct runner is highlighted on the baserunning hud. I then select home by pushing X, and home lights up, letting me know he got the command.

Do you see this on these occasions, to let you know he is aware he is being sent home before he even gets to 3rd? Just trying to picture exactly what you are seeing.
I'll go over the situation I was in.

I had runners on 1st and 2nd. With Derek Dietrich up. He hits a soft liner over Pirela at SS into Left-Center field.

Castro takes off from 2nd so I immediately press Square to highlight him and push down on the D-pad but it hasn't registered. Keep pressing, still hasn't registered. He basically walks into 3rd and then finally decides to go home and after he touches 3rd. But by then Myers already has it in to the cut-off man.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
I'll go over the situation I was in.

I had runners on 1st and 2nd. With Derek Dietrich up. He hits a soft liner over Pirela at SS into Left-Center field.

Castro takes off from 2nd so I immediately press Square to highlight him and push down on the D-pad but it hasn't registered. Keep pressing, still hasn't registered. He basically walks into 3rd and then finally decides to go home and after he touches 3rd. But by then Myers already has it in to the cut-off man.

Pressing Square tells the highlighted runner you want them to advance to 3rd base. You need to highlight the runner using the L-Stick and then press the corresponding base you want him to advance towards

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I'm confused as I'm not aware of a base running mechanic that uses the D-pad to send runners to bases. In assisted/manual, which is what I use, you select the baserunner using the L-Stick and then press the corresponding base you want that highlighted runner to go to:

Circle = 1st Base
Triangle = 2nd Base
Square = 3rd Base
X = Home
I don't know what the name for the style is though I have my Interface on classic.

Essentially, the runners by base are as you mentioned. But for example, a runner on first, to send him home you would press Circle and then Down on the D-pad.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Pressing Square tells the highlighted runner you want them to advance to 3rd base. You need to highlight the runner using the L-Stick and then press the corresponding base you want him to advance towards
I don't use that input. My baserunning input is with the D-pad. I only select the runner using buttons

I think the input is Classic if i'm not mistaken
Old 07-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Ok...my mistake.

From reading the controls, in that situation it reads as though you should've pressed triangle and then down on the d-pad to make the runner from 2nd advance to home without stopping at 3rd base.

I think what happened is that he was just advancing a single base and didn't have the "wave thru" by the 3rd base coach so he thought he was stopping at 3rd. When you then pressed square to highlight him and advance him home, it was registered as a 2nd command to take place once the first command played out.

I hope that made sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »