Home

Player progression.

This is a discussion on Player progression. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Player progression.

Morale and Coaching effect training as well as age and potential. I have noticed that higher potential and younger age more training will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac

I like the progression system for the most part because it is dynamic and not always predictable, like real life. I look at OVR and ratings like the league's perceived ability of a player. I've seen players outperform and underperform OVR many times.

I traded for Justin Bour in year 1 and he progressed a bit while being a consistent OBP and power threat. Re-signed him to a 1 year deal and he's struggling a bit, so ratings have dipped, but not too sharply. On the other hand, Sonny Gray put up ace-like numbers, but his ratings didn't increase much. He was the best pitcher on my staff. The way I look at that, the league isn't buying his season as a true indicator of his talent level. I don't mind this.

What I have issue with is how prospects progress more-so than established players, especially drafted/generated players.
I've also had several players like that in my Royals franchise. Soler is always good for .300+ and 35 homers for me, but his overall stayed in the mid-80s for the most part despite performing like one of the best hitters in the league. I'm OK with that.

I've also had no problem with drafted players progressing … on my own team. 11/13 of my position players and 11/12 pitchers are either players generated in the draft or prospects created in the OS rosters, and my farm system has several other guys who are close to MLB ready.

The problem I always encounter is that prospects on other teams rarely reach their potential. A big part of this is that so many elite prospects seem to have overalls about 40 points below their potential, and there just isn't time to ever get good enough for the bigs (whereas I tend to seek out prospects who start in the mid-60s at the lowest for high-potential players or even higher for low-potential guys, who often end up as my bench in the majors).

Overall, the CPU player development is really lacking, and generated prospects rarely are good enough to play until their mid-20s at the earliest.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #35
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Mike Trout is 28 in my franchise. He is "happy" in morale and has all A rated coaching. I'm two games into the season and he already has 2 home runs, 9 RBI and a ridiculously good batting average. He has consistently played well for his entire career.

He is -1 in every attribute already.

I wish this was an isolated incident, but stuff like this happens all the time. I have zero faith in the regression system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #36
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1

Since MLBTS 16 or so, I refuse to sign anyone after age 34 to anything more than a one year deal. Even age 30 is suspect.

I have the same thing with Trout in 2020 as the above poster. He's a flat out stud but he's also in decline.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #37
MVP

FluffyTonka's Arena

OVR: 8

I signed matt holliday (yeah i know) but he's in a pinch hitting role against lefties and has been pretty good.

8 HR's and batting .314 at the all star break, but he's -8 & -9 in most categories. at this rate his attributes will be in the minus by the end of the season.

i get he's 38, but he's still a useful player on my roster and serves a purpose and he should be in decline, but maybe not such a rapid one?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #38
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I don’t know how many of you guys notice but when you edit a player you lose the visual of the + or - on the player card/ratings screen. I have sometimes wondered if somehow that has an affect on progression. Hopefully it’s just a virus bug and nothing more.

Also, I want to be sure I’m understanding this correctly for those that make regression edits using WarmWind’s method. Are all attributes substitutable, one for one, as long as we don’t surpass the original rating? It seems like it’s almost, “stealing,” if I’m taking away from Kris Bryan’s drag bunt (or just regular bunt for that matter) to give him points back in contact or power. Same with baserunning aggression. Does that even do anything if I play every pitch of every game?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #39
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I don’t know how many of you guys notice but when you edit a player you lose the visual of the + or - on the player card/ratings screen. I have sometimes wondered if somehow that has an affect on progression. Hopefully it’s just a virus bug and nothing more.

Also, I want to be sure I’m understanding this correctly for those that make regression edits using WarmWind’s method. Are all attributes substitutable, one for one, as long as we don’t surpass the original rating? It seems like it’s almost, “stealing,” if I’m taking away from Kris Bryan’s drag bunt (or just regular bunt for that matter) to give him points back in contact or power. Same with baserunning aggression. Does that even do anything if I play every pitch of every game?

I should have mentioned I don't touch baserunning aggression.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I should have mentioned I don't touch baserunning aggression.

What about drag bunting? Or even just bunting? I never do that with my sluggers so it’s the most obvious category to take points from.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »