Home

SDS needs to release these 2 versions of The Show beginning in 2019

This is a discussion on SDS needs to release these 2 versions of The Show beginning in 2019 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: SDS needs to release these 2 versions of The Show beginning in 2019

That's true, but there's little incentive to take risks without competition.

The development team might even want to do it, but if the people who hold the purse strings are risk-averse when they're still making money, it won't happen.

That said, adding depth to franchise mode, which has been a defining part of sports games for two decades, doesn't strike me as a big risk.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #18
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflman2033
I dont know, if SDS feels threatened by EA they would be forced to acknowledge how stale franchise has become, especially if EA comes in and targets that audience.

I agree I do not see EA coming out with a competitive game, but I would like to see an attempt by them made that may cause SDS to step up their game, rather than be complacent knowing they have the baseball sim game market cornered.

I for one would give EA a chance if they put out a game that had franchise players in mind, create a stadium, team relocation, etc. But we all know the money is in the card collecting mode, which is where they will go, I just think being out of the game for so long it will be super hard for them to really be competitive with that mode.

Competition is good for the consumer, that is a fact of life, games are no different. You only need to go back about 13 or 14 years ago to see all the choices we had for baseball games, each one brought it's own strength. Back in 2005 MVP had the best game play and had playable minors, but ASB had stuff like Rule 5, in season draft, Arbitration and waivers.
That’s the key point. EA’s basketball fightback isn’t competing with 2k’s My GM mode. You can tell from the demo of Live 19 that they’ve put all their effort into online, single player, head to head team modes. In fact their actual NBA gameplay with commentary feels largely unchanged from 18.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
In theory.

It also creates clones and "me too" products. Games are no different. I remember the RTS clone days. Nothing innovative. Just Starcraft/Warcraft with new graphics, basically.

It took Age of Empires to finally breathe some new life...but that took vision (someone thinking RTS could go to a different place).

Competition can lower prices instead of raising quality/innovation. That's usually what happens. Innovation comes from vision and conviction to take the risk, not just number of competitors.

If the new competitors just try to clone The Show with a few extra bells and whistles but not do anything really new, especially to franchise, what did it do?

We need someone with a new vision for baseball games and the daring and resources to make it happen. Otherwise, it's RTS and FPS clone days all over again.
I o ly know sports games, so I cant really speak, but you just said it took Age of Empires have vision. Sounds like what I am talking about.

My question is, how old are you? Were you an adult in 2003, 2004 when we had 4 baseball video games to choose from? I am telling you, if EA had exclusive license in that time and to no, the games would be terrible. It took needing to be different to set yourself apart. Just being a copy cat wont work. Meter pitching came because EA wanted to make game play more enjoyable than just pressing a button to pitch. Playable minors, came about, because they wanted to bring in more buyers.They implemented analog hitting on NCAA. If EA had an exclusive license in that time, you would have deen none of this. It would have been new roster update each year, maybe a little tweaking. You have no reason to make your game better when you are the only choice on the market.

Again I'm not saying that EAs game will be good, hell it will take them a couple years to catch up like what is going on with NBA, but the long run of competition will only result in a better game, whether it is SDS or EA.

Madden vs 2K, NHL had multiple games for years, NBA had 2, hell there was EA vs 2K for college football and basketball. Most of all these franchises when they go to an exclusive license get last with innovations.

Lastly you want to talk about competition on sports games go back to 16 and 8 bit systems and look at all the games, each one tried to do something to set itself apart. Sports talk, vs having MLBPA license, season modes, full team customizations. Better graphics vs better interface. History has always show competition is good for the consumer, choices are a good thing. Business want to make money, you cant make money off me if i am not buying your product, because it is inferior.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
That’s the key point. EA’s basketball fightback isn’t competing with 2k’s My GM mode. You can tell from the demo of Live 19 that they’ve put all their effort into online, single player, head to head team modes. In fact their actual NBA gameplay with commentary feels largely unchanged from 18.
I listed it as something they could do, not a speculation to what I think they will do.

What I think they will do is try to directly compete with the Shows Diamond Dynasty mode, since that is where the money is. I however think, that that isnt a great idea as they are so far behind on that race. I hope for the DD guys that SDS really works to improve their game in preparation of having competition on the way.

Sadly I think Franchise will be left in the dust, but I am holding out some hope they decide to do something different and push to make franchise better in order to separate themselves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »