Home

The Graphics

This is a discussion on The Graphics within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The Graphics

Fiddy, that’s not graphical, bud.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 2

When the weather is set to "Clear", I find the day to night dusk transitions in MLB 18 to be very good with little need to really spend a lot of development capital in MLB 19. Unfortunately there has been what I would consider a bug in the game for the last couple of years now when the weather is set to "Overcast" prior to starting an evening game. In these cases the day to night light was never a gradual progression like it is with "Clear" weather option. No unfortunately this games goes from pretty much full day light to full darkness in one half inning. Because of this I pretty much always swapped the "Overcast" to "Clear" weather prior to starting an evening game.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

I have no problems with the body types. My problem still lies with the create-a-player faces. Unless you're REALLY good doing this it's hard to get the created face to look as good as the scanned models of the real players and even then it's noticeable. The fake managers and coaches really look cartoonish and they just don't fit.

There should be about 20 premium face types with an expanded ability to really tweak each feature, nose, eyebrows (these still look cheap), etc. and give us some real skin texture and not NONE/FEW/MANY, e.g. with the moles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

The graphics are one of the stronger areas of this game. The colors, shading, lighting have been areas in which we can't really complain too much about how the devs are dropping the ball lately. Go look up that "specularity" stream about PBR from a couple years ago to see what I mean. Even the jersey mavens are getting some/most of the things they want graphically.

That said, the player models don't do it for me--there's something blocky and stationary about them that I can't quite explain. You don't really get a sense of difference between the players unless it's something like Bartolo Colon standing next to a UTIL infielder. The lack of cloth/uniform motion is also an annoyance. Also, all players being the same size/height in cut scenes is a bit strange (think Jose Altuve standing eye to eye with Justin Verlander).

Otherwise, the grass and dirt could always use some work...
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
MVP

johnnyg83's Arena

OVR: 9

I think the graphics are generally good. Though, I've thought that their natural grass looks too much like carpet and the backgrounds beyond the stadiums are woof woof.

Though it's still my favorite series of all time.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Rookie

CoiaNY's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
That said, the player models don't do it for me--there's something blocky and stationary about them that I can't quite explain. You don't really get a sense of difference between the players unless it's something like Bartolo Colon standing next to a UTIL infielder. The lack of cloth/uniform motion is also an annoyance. Also, all players being the same size/height in cut scenes is a bit strange (think Jose Altuve standing eye to eye with Justin Verlander).

Otherwise, the grass and dirt could always use some work...
This. 100%.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #15
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I get no sense of urgency when players are throwing the ball. Just seems like they go through the motions. I hope they fix this at some point.
Although this isn't actually a graphical thing, I think what you're describing stems from, again, their animation system. It's needs to be more aware of what's going on during the play.

It needs to take into account base runners, their speed attributes, what inning it is, score of the game, etc.. It can be done. Trust me. In fact, I'm not gonna go into things like this too much unless they wanna pay me for the ideas about how to structure their coding.

Their AI has to be an actual AI that can consider basic things..

Last edited by MLB14; 02-06-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2019, 01:56 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
When some of you say the graphics need an 'overhaul', what specifically are you referring to?

I think the game looks great. The uniforms and animations could use some work, but I think the field and stadium graphics are above average.

LOL what? The field is bog standard and in some lights looks like absolute trash with colors that are so pale you would think they have no idea what they are doing or their lighting engine is from the PS3.

While the vid looked okay, almost nothing looks to have been done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »