Home

Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse?

This is a discussion on Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse?

I'm a huge Yankee fan. I didn't care that they didn't sign Harper, and when the Nats were making their way to the playoffs, I was pulling for them, because Bryce Harper was a douche, and instead of resigning with the Nats, or any other team outside of the NL East, he went to Philly. (I personally don't hate the Phillies, this is directly related to Harper)

Seeing as the Phils weren't moving on, and the Nats were slicing through the NL like a Samurai I felt it only fitting they be the bandwagon I was going to hop on in the NL. Hoping they Yankees would knock the Astros off, eventually they'd have to knock the Nats off and Bryce Harper wouldn't have missed out on a world series ring. BUT...

The Yankees lost, so I've poured my heart and soul into rooting for the Nationals to win it all. To bring that trophy to D.C. and have Harper with his fat stacks sitting there at home watching it. As he deserved to for leaving a team, the only one he'd known professionally, and a fanbase that adored him. To go to a division rival... For not an overwhelming contract that the Nats weren't even close to or anything.

So when the Nats win it all, doing it without Bryce Harper, I will be thrilled. Thrilled for the likes of Rendon, Soto, Scherzer, Doolittle, and the rest of the rag tag never say die Nats, and for their fanbase. Sticking it straight up Harper's keyster with all the passion and love that comes with a glory holes. Because of his Judas-like betrayal to the team, and the fans of the Nationals by going to an in-division rival for a little more money... He's now, along with the Phillies, cursed for the year. Not a Madden-esque curse where you have an injury, or just a flat out terrible year.... But in a way only baseball can. He will always have to wonder... Would he have won the series if he stayed?

I'm sure Girardi will do a great job there, and they could end up winning a ring with the talent they've got. But it won't ever be like the magic that's unfolding in front of us. Seeing his former team, and teammates, and the fans who once couldn't imagine a Harper-less OF in D.C. rocket to glory and immortality. But not him. Not his greedy, overhyped, overpriced "leadership"... This will be the season Harper will never forget (as long as the Nats can win 2 more, which I think they will). Because his 30 pieces of silver gutted him.

GO NATS!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
I'm a huge Yankee fan. I didn't care that they didn't sign Harper, and when the Nats were making their way to the playoffs, I was pulling for them, because Bryce Harper was a douche, and instead of resigning with the Nats, or any other team outside of the NL East, he went to Philly. (I personally don't hate the Phillies, this is directly related to Harper)

Seeing as the Phils weren't moving on, and the Nats were slicing through the NL like a Samurai I felt it only fitting they be the bandwagon I was going to hop on in the NL. Hoping they Yankees would knock the Astros off, eventually they'd have to knock the Nats off and Bryce Harper wouldn't have missed out on a world series ring. BUT...

The Yankees lost, so I've poured my heart and soul into rooting for the Nationals to win it all. To bring that trophy to D.C. and have Harper with his fat stacks sitting there at home watching it. As he deserved to for leaving a team, the only one he'd known professionally, and a fanbase that adored him. To go to a division rival... For not an overwhelming contract that the Nats weren't even close to or anything.

So when the Nats win it all, doing it without Bryce Harper, I will be thrilled. Thrilled for the likes of Rendon, Soto, Scherzer, Doolittle, and the rest of the rag tag never say die Nats, and for their fanbase. Sticking it straight up Harper's keyster with all the passion and love that comes with a glory holes. Because of his Judas-like betrayal to the team, and the fans of the Nationals by going to an in-division rival for a little more money... He's now, along with the Phillies, cursed for the year. Not a Madden-esque curse where you have an injury, or just a flat out terrible year.... But in a way only baseball can. He will always have to wonder... Would he have won the series if he stayed?

I'm sure Girardi will do a great job there, and they could end up winning a ring with the talent they've got. But it won't ever be like the magic that's unfolding in front of us. Seeing his former team, and teammates, and the fans who once couldn't imagine a Harper-less OF in D.C. rocket to glory and immortality. But not him. Not his greedy, overhyped, overpriced "leadership"... This will be the season Harper will never forget (as long as the Nats can win 2 more, which I think they will). Because his 30 pieces of silver gutted him.

GO NATS!!!!

I'm in the same boat diehard Yankee fan who did not want Harper and rooting for the Nationals. I think Bryce should have taken the Nats deal from a financial standpoint as they were gonna defer $100M of the $300M til he was 65 which would have been worth more anyways if there was interest or inflation factored in. Those Phillies NEED more starting pitching if they want to compete for a championship like the Nats as they smartly used the money allotted for Harper for the bats and pitchers they have now.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 27

Bryce living rent free in your head. You're just tilted he isn't a ****ing Yankee.

Go ahead and quote me everyone like you all always ****ing do. I don't give a ****.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 02:25 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateoftheFranchise
I'm in the same boat diehard Yankee fan who did not want Harper and rooting for the Nationals. I think Bryce should have taken the Nats deal from a financial standpoint as they were gonna defer $100M of the $300M til he was 65 which would have been worth more anyways if there was interest or inflation factored in. Those Phillies NEED more starting pitching if they want to compete for a championship like the Nats as they smartly used the money allotted for Harper for the bats and pitchers they have now.
Ask Bobby Bonilla how that Mets contract is working out... Still gets a million a year for chillin. Crazy crazy world.

I'm rooting for Washington to win it all, but next year I'll pull for the Phils cause I love Joey G. Still remember him legging out that triple in 98 or 99... Hell of a catcher
Old 10-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Harper's no Joe Mauer, he'll never be on the Show cover a second time outside of a custom cover. and if there is a curse, its a good bet Baez will break it. that hundred plus year curse he helped break will be good practice for killing a Show curse.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Rookie

Here's a breakdown of the cover athlete each year and what they did that year

06 - David Ortiz .287/.413/.636, 54 HR 137 RBI, 3rd in MVP voting, SS
07 - David Wright .325/.416/.546, 30 HR 107 RBI, 4th in MVP voting, GG, SS
08 - Ryan Howard .251/.339/.543, 48 HR 146 RBI, 2nd in MVP voting, WS
09 - Dustin Pedroia .296/.371/.447, 15 HR 72 RBI
10 - Joe Mauer .327/.402/.469, 9 HR 75 RBI, GG, SS
11 - Joe Mauer .287/.360/.368, 3 HR 30 RBI (only 82 games)
12 - Adrian Gonzalez .299/.344/.463, 18 HR 108 RBI (traded to LAD in Aug)
13 - Andrew McCutchen .317/.404/.508, 21 HR 84 RBI, MVP, SS
14 - Miguel Cabrera .313/.371/.524, 25 HR 109 RBI
15 - Yasiel Puig .255/.322/.436, 11 HR 38 RBI (only 79 games)
16 - Josh Donaldson .284/.404/.549, 37 HR 99 RBI, 4th in MVP voting, SS
17 - Ken Griffey Jr.
18 - Aaron Judge .278/.392/.528, 27 HR 67 RBI (only 112 games)
19 - Bryce Harper .260/.372/.510, 35 HR 114 RBI, Gold Glove finalist
Old 10-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Bryce living rent free in your head. You're just tilted he isn't a ****ing Yankee.

Go ahead and quote me everyone like you all always ****ing do. I don't give a ****.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Yea, we can tone it down a bit please. This wasn't at all necessary.

Thank you.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
MVP

Bartolo Colon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukePurcy
Here's a breakdown of the cover athlete each year and what they did that year

06 - David Ortiz .287/.413/.636, 54 HR 137 RBI, 3rd in MVP voting, SS

07 - David Wright .325/.416/.546, 30 HR 107 RBI, 4th in MVP voting, GG, SS

08 - Ryan Howard .251/.339/.543, 48 HR 146 RBI, 2nd in MVP voting, WS

09 - Dustin Pedroia .296/.371/.447, 15 HR 72 RBI

10 - Joe Mauer .327/.402/.469, 9 HR 75 RBI, GG, SS

11 - Joe Mauer .287/.360/.368, 3 HR 30 RBI (only 82 games)

12 - Adrian Gonzalez .299/.344/.463, 18 HR 108 RBI (traded to LAD in Aug)

13 - Andrew McCutchen .317/.404/.508, 21 HR 84 RBI, MVP, SS

14 - Miguel Cabrera .313/.371/.524, 25 HR 109 RBI

15 - Yasiel Puig .255/.322/.436, 11 HR 38 RBI (only 79 games)

16 - Josh Donaldson .284/.404/.549, 37 HR 99 RBI, 4th in MVP voting, SS

17 - Ken Griffey Jr.

18 - Aaron Judge .278/.392/.528, 27 HR 67 RBI (only 112 games)

19 - Bryce Harper .260/.372/.510, 35 HR 114 RBI, Gold Glove finalist

Good stuff here, Puig was really the only one had a disappointing year following being on the cover of The Show.

All others were still productive players the following season

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »