Home

Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20

This is a discussion on Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
MVP

tnixen's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20

The thing I hate the most about CPU AI base running is I still see to many times when the batter hits a ball into the left or right field corner and the batter only gets a single when he should at least attempt to make it to second base or even 3rd base.

In real life even slow guys would at least try for a double with these kind of hits!!!

I hope this will finally be fixed in MLB The Show 20.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I agree with most of the stuff about the lack of aggressive CPU baserunning (particularly about it being a boat anchor in front of the player in RTTS and Moments), but that last example bothers me because I don't actually see that all the time - in fact that's the first time I've ever seen a roundoff like that on a hard hit to RF. It's not a case of him slowing down that causes him to get thrown out - it's because he's rounding off first like it's a base hit to CF or LF when he should be running straight at the bag.

This is what happens for me on hits to RF (and this is hit much less sharply than yours and he STILL runs it in a straight line). This is on assisted baserunning btw, but I'm not pressing a thing after contact so it's the CPU AI's decision to run straight to 1st or round off. What I mean by that is, say it's a line drive into the LF/CF gap - if I don't press anything the runner will still make a roundoff instead of taking a straight line - he'll just stop at first once he gets there because I didn't tell him to go further.

So....what exactly happened in your clip? I can't tell if you're the user team hitting or not since it's a replay (pro tip - try to capture live gameplay for stuff like that, it's a lot more informative), but if you were and were holding the advance base button even a little in the beginning that might have caused him to start rounding - and then pull up as he reached first. I've seriously never seen the CPU do that on its own in that situation (to the point where it affected the outcome of a play), so I'm genuinely confused.
I am in the field with my DD team. CPU hits a hard grounder between 1B and 2B and into RF. RF fields the ball and I immediately throw to 1B. Molina (CPU runner) in no way should ever be rounding the bag, bc it's a sharp single directly to the right fielder, and no where near the gap. But either way, with the first baseman ON the 1B bag and the RF in possession of the ball well before Molina is to the bag, there should be some CPU/AI awareness here.

This is definitely something that happens in MLBTS for several years now (albeit, occasionally). I'm actually surprised you haven't seen this yourself. Other OS'ers have mentioned it as well.

If you find yourself in a similar situation as my video shows, try firing a throw from the right fielder to 1B to see if you can see this for yourself. It won't happen all the time, but it will happen occasionally. However, it typically will not happen if the first baseman comes off the 1B bag to attempt to field the ball FYI. He needs to be close to 1B when the throw from RF is made. Either way, keep trying it, and you'll see it. I guarantee it.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #11
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
The thing I hate the most about CPU AI base running is I still see to many times when the batter hits a ball into the left or right field corner and the batter only gets a single when he should at least attempt to make it to second base or even 3rd base.

In real life even slow guys would at least try for a double with these kind of hits!!!

I hope this will finally be fixed in MLB The Show 20.
I whole-heartedly agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

All aspects of the computer AI need a big upgrade tbh, both in game and out, it's an area that has been left behind a bit with the push towards PvP.

You can't help but feel a lot of the work they put into Rtts are pretty undermined by the underlying awful AI, both on and off the field. That also affects moments and franchise, plus pretty much any game you play against the computer.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 5

I agree about the baserunning issues. I frequently have baserunners who on hits either do not move or worse head in the wrong direction. Thus when playing every time I get a hit the first thing I need to do is check what the base runners are doing. When I forget then sometimes I get punished by the baserunning AI.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »