Home

MLB The Show 20 Preview: Franchise Mode, Real Minor League Rosters and Road to the Show Twitch Stream Highlights

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 Preview: Franchise Mode, Real Minor League Rosters and Road to the Show Twitch Stream Highlights within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 20 Preview: Franchise Mode, Real Minor League Rosters and Road to th

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
First of all, I actually like MLB 19's franchise mode overall; when using SDS rosters, it's very challenging, has few bugs, and is robust.

That said, what do I want moving forward? I want improved scouting, I want overhauled progression, I'd love to see a lot of the relationship stuff from RTTS tied into Morale (for user and CPU controlled teams). I'd love to see a full expansion/retraction module with customizable divisions and a slew of generic stadiums that can be customized. (This is the "I acknowledge it's not likely to happen" list)

On a simple level, I want the roster to just have the correct minor league options available for each player. I want roster logic adjusted to compensate for this new full minors roster. I want to see more storylines discussed in-game (trade rumors, players unhappy, injuries, guys coming off IL) that is tied into the actual franchise data. I want some QoL fixes to make things a bit easier. (This is the "I'd be thrilled if you just did this stuff" list)

Here's the thing....even if they added ALL of this stuff (even my "not likely to happen" list), I honestly don't think it would move the needle for mode popularity. Franchise would still continue to be a 'backwater' mode in the game.

The only way to get more people to play franchise mode would be to a) remove complexity, b) make development based strictly on user actions (like RTTS - just for every player), and c) make it take 1/100 of the time to complete a season, and d) stub-based rewards based on how you finish the season relative to your roster (which can be used for franchise upgrades and cosmetics). I can hear all of you diehards grimacing as you read this - I don't love it either. But, that's why SDS didn't tear down franchise mode but rather created MtO.

I want to play every pitch for 162 games using a complete clean screen. I want ratings to dominate outcomes. I want to see flawed players be present (and useful in limited roles) like in real life. I want stories to develop organically based on what happens in the game.

...and I've accepted fully that I am in the minority. It IS a tough pill to swallow at first, but I'm much happier because of it. Doesn't mean I don't want more, it just means that my expectations are tempered.

But die hard franchise fans are not asking for the wheel to be reinvented. Like every team in the game carries a 12 man bullpen (which is gonna be a disaster if its not fixed with 26 man rosters) while every mlb team runs with a 13 man bullpen. And even if you manually control the teams and make them have a 13 man bullpen, they basically wont use one of the players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #82
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: MLB The Show 20 Preview: Franchise Mode, Real Minor League Rosters and Road to th

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarflacco
But die hard franchise fans are not asking for the wheel to be reinvented. Like every team in the game carries a 12 man bullpen (which is gonna be a disaster if its not fixed with 26 man rosters) while every mlb team runs with a 13 man bullpen. And even if you manually control the teams and make them have a 13 man bullpen, they basically wont use one of the players.
I'm not talking about 'franchise guys'....what I'm talking about is in response to a statement that if "they improve franchise mode, more people would play". I disagree with that statement because, IMO, the types of changes they would have to make to draw the masses away from RTTS/DD and into franchise would be massive (and antithetical to what us 'franchise guys' really want).

BTW...love the hyperbole!!
Old 02-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #83
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
Every year, I get a little bit baffled at the hardcore fans of franchise in this game.

It seems like everyone wants the depth of Out of The Park Baseball but instead of playing that game they opt instead for MLB The Show and the only two reasons that I can come up with are
  1. Prettier graphic and better presentation
  2. The ability to control players (which in my opinion screws with natural progression).

I don't really play any other console sports games so I am not sure if any of them have the in depth franchise modes of more stat driven text based games.
I honestly thought your post was trying to be satirical at first. I actually had to go back and read it again to make sure you weren’t trying to be funny.

Being able to play actual games is a huge difference and not the “minor” difference you seem to indicate it is. What OOTP does is second to none, but without the ability to actually play games your basically staring at words on a screen.

What you DD guys don’t seem to understand is most of us franchise guys are not asking for OOTP level of immersion. Most of us franchise guys are older and don’t have the time we used to invest in this game. All we are really asking for are simple quality of life changes like a scouting system that actually makes sense and works. Right now the draft is a crap shoot, where 90% of the scouting reports aren’t even accurate. The ability for the AI to make smart roster decisions. Too many small market teams sign big name free agents That they would never be able to convince to come to town. The ability to have some kind of control over profits and losses. Right now there is no difference between running a team like the A’s as opposed to the yankees. The player morale. Quite frankly it’s broken. Players have no personality.

Sure. There are a lot of people championing for relocation/stadium creator, but 80% of franchise fans would stop “complaining” with simple quality of life changes. I think the thing that bugs me about you DD guys is you feel just because the mode is important to you, it shouldn’t be important to anyone else. This game means different things to different people yet every year like clockwork you guys jump into franchise discussions to give us to your two cents

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 02-18-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #84
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I honestly thought your post was trying to be satirical at first. I actually had to go back and read it again to make sure you weren’t trying to be funny.

Being able to play actual games is a huge difference and not the “minor” difference you seem to indicate it is. What OOTP does is second to none, but without the ability to actually play games your basically staring at words on a screen.

What you DD guys don’t seem to understand is most of us franchise guys are not asking for OOTP level of immersion. Most of us franchise guys are older and don’t have the time we used to invest in this game. All we are really asking for are simple quality of life changes like a scouting system that actually makes sense and works. Right now the draft is a crap shoot, where 90% of the scouting reports aren’t even accurate. The ability for the AI to make smart roster decisions. Too many small market teams sign big name free agents That they would never be able to convince to come to town. The ability to have some kind of control over profits and losses. Right now there is no difference between running a team like the A’s as opposed to the yankees. The player morale. Quite frankly it’s broken. Players have no personality.

Sure. There are a lot of people championing for relocation/stadium creator, but 80% of franchise fans would stop “complaining” with simple quality of life changes. I think the thing that bugs me about you DD guys is you feel just because the mode is important to you, it shouldn’t be important to anyone else. This game means different things to different people yet every year like clockwork you guys jump into franchise discussions to give us to your two cents
Very well said.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #85
Pro

SFNiners816's Arena

OVR: 3

Have we got a definitive answer that if you rebrand your team all the default uniforms go away? I'm assuming this to be the case but if it not then that feature just got a ton more interesting for me on my carryover franchise. Basically I was thinking about just keeping my Cubs as is name wise and stadium wise but use these uniform slots as a way to add some alternate uniforms. Hell, I may just run with different uniforms regardless and just keep them branded as the Cubs. Stripe less home white and maybe a baby blue roadie
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #86
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I think the thing that bugs me about you DD guys is you feel just because the mode is important to you, it shouldn’t (sic) be important to anyone else. This game means different things to different people yet every year like clockwork you guys jump into franchise discussions to give us to your two cents
But Franchise guys NEVER ever do that in DD threads, now do you?

...just sayin'....
Old 02-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #87
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:

...just sayin'....
They do. Fair enough lol. We are a jealous crowd. We don’t like seeing our ex doing all of the things with her new boyfriend that we wish she would have done with us 🤣🤣🤣
Old 02-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #88
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:

...just sayin'....
Not me I stay out of those threads they don't interest me so I whinge and complain about DD in franchise threads, no point starting fire in someone else's yard. only do it in your own with your friends, that is the way I see it.

what is most irritating is when people say if you don't like it don't play it or buy the digital cards it doesn't effect you... well it does because all the $$$$ is going to that mode BECAUSE people are doing that other modes like franchise are becoming secondary.

having said all that this year my complaining isn't as much as the last 2 years because I think full minors is huge and the re branding is a nice start that I hope continues into the PS5 era.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »