Home

MLB The Show 20 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #457
*p*r*t**n Sp*rts J*nk**

snaz16's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: MLB The Show 20 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman05851
Wall clock is still broken in the Phillies dugout.I guess it's like the relief pitcher dropping his glove-one of those things they leave in there just to aggravate people.
It personally doesn't bother me but can you imagine if that clock was in the say Dodger dugout?
The old glove drop. I'm yelling at the screen,,,Don't drop the the glove..DO NOT DROP THE GLOVE,,,,And he drops the glove
Old 12-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #458
Rookie

OVR: 0

Just picked up 20 so figured I'd add my .02 incase anyone comes wandering in.

I go back to 14 (switched over from 2k) and have played a fair bit of every release since then. In terms of gameplay, physics, graphics, AI logic etc., I think the game gets better each year. So if you are just looking for a good gameplay experience you can't go wrong with 20. And if like me, the prospect of using modern rosters on older games and having a 23 year old Mookie Betts on the Dodgers for example annoys you, its worth picking up each release (especially used or heavily discounted). Hopefully we have a PC version of the game eventually and can have more control of things.

I enjoy the various game modes that are being added and tweaked (diamond dynasty and the like) but spend most of my time in franchise mode. There were A LOT of issues with earlier games. Players hitting 35 and IMMEDIATLY turning to garbage, teams being stuck in rebuilding loops (I forget when this stopped but teams who had a rebuilding focus would trade literally anyone for anything, so you could get Kershaw for any random guy for example), superstar for superstar trades (haven't seen any in 20 so far, definitely in 19), if you ran 10+ year franchises you would sometimes see your budget plummet over time for no reason, poor prospect generation past the first draft means thinner and thinner drafts, prospects would keep their A potential well into their 30's resulting in VERY late bloomers. And honestly my biggest gripe, the recent change to the offseason and free agency presentation kills me. I think this was done in 18, the change from more of a spreadsheet style where I can sort by any attribute vs the current polaroid is AWFUL. To actually take the time to downgrade such an important aspect of the game is mind blowing to me. Obviously there are more issues and I could write a seriously long paper on every aspect of franchise mode that I don't like but those are some of the more annoying ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Having said all that, I do think the game as a whole is at its best I have seen it. And has BY FAR the best franchise mode of any sports game (long since given up on Madden and NHL, FIFA isn't bad). My favorite franchise experience probably comes from 16 but I can see 20 supplanting that (despite what I still think is an awful offseason).

There is still so much I think SDS can do to improve my beloved franchise mode, but because its obviously not the money maker other aspects of the game are, I totally get it. I enjoy the gameplay, and if I really want to flex my GM brain I can always go back to OOTP.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #459
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Hands down OS Sports Game of the Year! Vote submitted.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:08 AM   #460
Rookie

OVR: 2

i personally would not have spent more than the 10 Bucks I did with this on sale this past week....too much of the same ole, same ole
Old 03-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #461
MVP

OVR: 2

My seven year old Sony 40" LCD TV (which I had connected to my PS4 as well as my home office computer) died on me the other night. Because I need some sort of TV (or monitor) for the home computer, I did not spend a whole lot of time trying to find the best long term replacement that could be used should the planets ever align and I get lucky enough to find a PS5 to replace my PS4 console. Originally I was hoping to get either a 43" Samsung 4k HDR TV or the 43" LG similar iteration. Unfortunately neither model was in stock at the local Best Buy (and I did not want to drive across town to another Best Buy), so I ended up settling on the Sony 43" 4k HDR X800H TV.

Now the reason why I write all of this is simply because I just was not aware of how much the seven year old TV was hurting me. There I was only a few days ago thinking "damn my eye sight is getting bad in my old age", but while my eye sight is not as good as it once was, the slightly blurry text (and yes a slightly blurry ball) wasn't my eyes it was the old TV. Now I am having to adjust to the new colors of the Sony X800H as opposed to what I was used to (which I assume is because I have enabled HDR which I guess results in richer color tones or whatever the proper terminology is). Anyway while it bites that I had to spend a bunch of money I really did not want to spend at this time replacing a TV, but what a treat it is to play MLB The Show (as well as other games) using a good quality mid range TV versus using seven year old failing technology. What's even crazier is that I am only using a PS4. It's not even the PS4 Pro or the PS5 with some top of the line fancy OLED or QLED TV with the HDMI 2.1 port. Then again are my aging eyes good enough to really appreciate what the next gen consoles and a top of the line TV would provide? Haha ... it bites getting old, but getting old is better than the alternative.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #462
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
My seven year old Sony 40" LCD TV (which I had connected to my PS4 as well as my home office computer) died on me the other night. Because I need some sort of TV (or monitor) for the home computer, I did not spend a whole lot of time trying to find the best long term replacement that could be used should the planets ever align and I get lucky enough to find a PS5 to replace my PS4 console. Originally I was hoping to get either a 43" Samsung 4k HDR TV or the 43" LG similar iteration. Unfortunately neither model was in stock at the local Best Buy (and I did not want to drive across town to another Best Buy), so I ended up settling on the Sony 43" 4k HDR X800H TV.

Now the reason why I write all of this is simply because I just was not aware of how much the seven year old TV was hurting me. There I was only a few days ago thinking "damn my eye sight is getting bad in my old age", but while my eye sight is not as good as it once was, the slightly blurry text (and yes a slightly blurry ball) wasn't my eyes it was the old TV. Now I am having to adjust to the new colors of the Sony X800H as opposed to what I was used to (which I assume is because I have enabled HDR which I guess results in richer color tones or whatever the proper terminology is). Anyway while it bites that I had to spend a bunch of money I really did not want to spend at this time replacing a TV, but what a treat it is to play MLB The Show (as well as other games) using a good quality mid range TV versus using seven year old failing technology. What's even crazier is that I am only using a PS4. It's not even the PS4 Pro or the PS5 with some top of the line fancy OLED or QLED TV with the HDMI 2.1 port. Then again are my aging eyes good enough to really appreciate what the next gen consoles and a top of the line TV would provide? Haha ... it bites getting old, but getting old is better than the alternative.
I was in a similar situation a few years ago with an old TV. I couldn't understand how these guys were playing on Hall of Fame levels and bumping up pitch speed. I couldn't hit AT ALL. Then I bought a new TV and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 03-31-2021, 10:36 PM   #463
Rookie

“Play now” with daily rosters... does anybody remember MLB the Show 14 “the show live” how awesome that was? You could hop into a game that was really being played that day, or the day before or the next day and the stats were real up to date at the moment stats and you could play with any edits you had made to uniforms, equipment, stances, pitching motions and even created players. That’s been gone for a few years now. When you play “daily rosters” or whatever it’s called it just the updated base roster. Often times the stats and team records are wrong. I really wish they would bring “the show live” back, it was so much more immersive and fun.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #464
MVP

Archie56's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy13
“Play now” with daily rosters... does anybody remember MLB the Show 14 “the show live” how awesome that was? You could hop into a game that was really being played that day, or the day before or the next day and the stats were real up to date at the moment stats and you could play with any edits you had made to uniforms, equipment, stances, pitching motions and even created players. That’s been gone for a few years now. When you play “daily rosters” or whatever it’s called it just the updated base roster. Often times the stats and team records are wrong. I really wish they would bring “the show live” back, it was so much more immersive and fun.
You can still play real life daily games with the right lineups and stats. It's still there man

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »