Home

Directional Hitting in MLB The Show 20

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting in MLB The Show 20 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #65
Rookie

markor's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Directional Hitting in MLB The Show 20

After reading through the whole thread I’ve made a couple of assumptions about directional feel free to correct me if I’ve made the wrong assumptions:

1. LS influences PCI placement in the strike zone(pitch location) and is NOT related to the type of hitter ie. pull, balanced or push.

2. If you choose a PCI influence and the ball is pitched far from that “quadrant” in the strike zone there will be a big contact penalty even with good timing, with batter vision as the biggest factor as to how well the batter adjusts the misplaced PCI. Of course the contact rating playing a big role as well (larger PCI)

3. So if using the LS does not affect swing types or batter types just PCI influence on ball location. For example if I’m trying to stay out of a DP and influence UP and IN but swing at a ball at the knees my batter will NOT lift the ball up but rather hit a grounder with weak contact since I influenced the PCI UP and IN yet the ball came in DOWN AND AWAY?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #66
Pro

Coachwf's Arena

OVR: 8

"There is no mechanic that specifically does this. However, since you have 1 1/2 inputs (timing + '1/2' PCI) instead of 2 (timing + PCI), in a sense this makes timing worth more (it is now worth 2/3 of your success rather than 1/2). In the same way, you could argue that paying attention to hot and cold zones matters more. However, I would guess that there are more important things that come first. There is some general truth to the idea that 'less input means the inputs remaining matter more' but it is not dramatic."

This, along with his other comments, makes me think that ratings factor in more with directional, Vs stick skills mattering more with zone. Obviously, ratings factor somewhat in both, but as an offline franchise player I don't want my skills to make each player's ratings matter less just because I get good with the stick.

From what I'm seeing as I progress with my hitting using directional...1st year player...timing is #1, hot zones #2, and my guiding of the L stick to the ball #3. This seems to align with what he is saying. I haven't tried zone at all though so I'm curious what I'll find when I do. Just don't want all of my players to be closer to the same because of my stick skills. I'm not competing online at all though.

Does this sound right?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #67
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

so it seems i been playing directional all wrong. now it seems from what im gathering if u know for sure where the ball is move the left analog stick. if not just leave it alone and hit the x button

https://www.youtube.com/@B1g___Boned
Old 06-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #68
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
so it seems i been playing directional all wrong. now it seems from what im gathering if u know for sure where the ball is move the left analog stick. if not just leave it alone and hit the x button
If you are describing something akin to PCI hitting, wherein you try to move the stick to where the ball will cross the plate, I could not disagree more.

My hitting life changed when I went back and read ... (edit: I thought it was a post in this thread, apparently not; I don't have time right now to find it, but maybe someone can link the post I am talking about; a multi-page detailed 'article' about directional hitting).

In which the writer says that for directional hitting, the stick must be placed in a certain direction BEFORE THE PITCH AND THEN HELD IN THAT DIRECTION THROUGHOUT THE SWING.

Once I started doing this, directional hitting came to life for me.

To say direction hitting placement is "unrelated" to type of hit (push, pull, etc.) is completely antithetical to what I have experienced for the past month and one-half.

Here's how I now think and play: "Hmm, I think he will pit me inside. I move the stick (rightie hitter) to the left and up, hoping to pull and elevate the ball. I swing a tiny bit earlier. .... next pitch.... Hmm, I suspect a slider away, that I might be able to take to right. I move the stick up and to the right, and swing just a little bit later."

I have been playing The Show for 15 years, I'm age 58, and I'm quite sane (anticipating being told I am somehow "wrong" for what I am describing). My hitting life has turned around now that I fully understand directional hitting.

Last edited by chuckm1961; 06-04-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #69
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm1961
If you are describing something akin to PCI hitting, wherein you try to move the stick to where the ball will cross the plate, I could not disagree more.

My hitting life changed when I went back and read ... (edit: I thought it was a post in this thread, apparently not; I don't have time right now to find it, but maybe someone can link the post I am talking about; a multi-page detailed 'article' about directional hitting).

In which the writer says that for directional hitting, the stick must be placed in a certain direction BEFORE THE PITCH AND THEN HELD IN THAT DIRECTION THROUGHOUT THE SWING.

Once I started doing this, directional hitting came to life for me.

To say direction hitting placement is "unrelated" to type of hit (push, pull, etc.) is completely antithetical to what I have experienced for the past month and one-half.

Here's how I now think and play: "Hmm, I think he will pit me inside. I move the stick (rightie hitter) to the left and up, hoping to pull and elevate the ball. I swing a tiny bit earlier. .... next pitch.... Hmm, I suspect a slider away, that I might be able to take to right. I move the stick up and to the right, and swing just a little bit later."

I have been playing The Show for 15 years, I'm age 58, and I'm quite sane (anticipating being told I am somehow "wrong" for what I am describing). My hitting life has turned around now that I fully understand directional hitting.
Yeah, this is pretty much spot-on from my experiences as well. I see the stick influence a bit like where the barrel of the bat is most likely to go through. This is why you can be influencing inside (a pull swing) and mash a pitch on the outside IF you are out in front of it.

To add a little wrinkle....

I still use no-influence swings a lot as well (no influence IS an influence) and particularly with low vision hitters. I also pay very close attention to my hitters' tendencies. I'll very rarely try to pull a ball with an extreme push hitter and vice versa.

Now upward/downward swings....let's just say that I rarely use upward swings....I have a bad tendency to pop up pitches. BUT, if I am swinging for the fences...yeah, it can work. Downward depends on the hitter. I have hit bombs with downward influence (with guys who have a natural uppercut) but I mainly use it when I HAVE to get a ball in play but want to do it with more gusto than a contact swing.

It's a brutally fascinating interface when you dive into it.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #70
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Yeah, this is pretty much spot-on from my experiences as well. I see the stick influence a bit like where the barrel of the bat is most likely to go through. This is why you can be influencing inside (a pull swing) and mash a pitch on the outside IF you are out in front of it.

To add a little wrinkle....

I still use no-influence swings a lot as well (no influence IS an influence) and particularly with low vision hitters. I also pay very close attention to my hitters' tendencies. I'll very rarely try to pull a ball with an extreme push hitter and vice versa.

Now upward/downward swings....let's just say that I rarely use upward swings....I have a bad tendency to pop up pitches. BUT, if I am swinging for the fences...yeah, it can work. Downward depends on the hitter. I have hit bombs with downward influence (with guys who have a natural uppercut) but I mainly use it when I HAVE to get a ball in play but want to do it with more gusto than a contact swing.

It's a brutally fascinating interface when you dive into it.
Yep, agree with all the above.

I was not writing a full explanation. I just wanted to get across that you have to pick the stick direction before the pitch, and you have to HOLD THE STICK THERE THROUGHOUT THE SWING.

I, too, am extremely situational. Depends on whether hitter is balanced or power. Depends on game situation. Depends on the pitcher repertoire.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #71
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm1961
Yep, agree with all the above.

I was not writing a full explanation. I just wanted to get across that you have to pick the stick direction before the pitch, and you have to HOLD THE STICK THERE THROUGHOUT THE SWING.

I, too, am extremely situational. Depends on whether hitter is balanced or power. Depends on game situation. Depends on the pitcher repertoire.
Yup agreed

....it's SO GOOD, isn't it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #72
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Yup agreed

....it's SO GOOD, isn't it?
Yep, and I cannot describe in words the difference that happened when I learned you have to hold the stick in that direction throughout the swing.

I had never done that in all my years; assumed it was not necessary.

When I started looking for certain pitches in certain zones and holding the stick with certain hits in mind ..... BAM ... it became a whole new game. Even after all these years. My hitting skills jumped 50%, it feels like.

Well, one more thing helped .... 1,2,3 ... 1, pitcher takes ball out of glove, 2, pitcher's foot hits the mound, 3, ball crosses plate. Count 1,2,3, watch and count 1,2,3. My timing and my pitch recognition is fantastic now.

Note ... I am NOT saying the ball will precisely cross the plate on "3". But engaging in that process will lock your eyes where they need to be, and .... it just helps.... try it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »