Home

Play-by-play/Commentary

This is a discussion on Play-by-play/Commentary within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #73
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Play-by-play/Commentary

I learned that if we had Matty V. lines from his real life PBP calls, you would hear him say "To your point..." a lot.

Everyone would bicker about the repetitive commentary.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 0

Problem with emotive commentary (or any commentary that ‘stands out’ in any way) is that because it gets repeated a lot (remembering people play hundreds of games a year) it would make the repetitiveness even more obvious than with more bland commentary that doesn’t stand out.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #75
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Yeah, I think part of the problem is everyone who wants Matt Vasgersian to sound like his real life counterpart only seem to point to how excited and high-pitched he gets in his home run calls. There is so much more to mention and bring about when it comes to how he actually talks.

One thing SDS can do better is mix them differently. In-game they have a very warm timbre, whereas in real life it is a bit more piercing treble as it works with that background crowd hiss. Kind of like how the catcher's mitt pop in game could get a little more thud/boom and a little less snap. If they could invert those, that would help give off the TV broadcast sound a wee bit more.

As far as lines go though, I'm sure I have already given my input in this thread.

What I don't get is why SDS not only rolls with three-man commentary booths, but insists on choosing people who sound so alike. For some reason they had a year or two with Eric Karros and Steve Lyons, and now they have Mark DeRosa with Dan Plesac. Sometimes I literally can't distinguish the two unless I'm focusing really hard on it (this was especially true of Eric & Steve). Harold was such a gem his year in the booth.

I'm wondering if they're pushing at all for John Smoltz and/or Alex Rodriguez. At least they actually call games with Matt regularly.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #76
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
What I don't get is why SDS not only rolls with three-man commentary booths, but insists on choosing people who sound so alike. For some reason they had a year or two with Eric Karros and Steve Lyons, and now they have Mark DeRosa with Dan Plesac. Sometimes I literally can't distinguish the two unless I'm focusing really hard on it (this was especially true of Eric & Steve).
I thought it was just me who couldn't tell DeRosa and Plesac apart! The only time I know the difference is when they ask each other a question about being a pitcher or fielder.

If they want to keep all 3 they could do a two man booth where sometimes it's Matt and Dan others it's Matt and Mark. Record a ton of new lines so they can get some more banter and it solves the problem of having the same team for every game. Maybe keep the 3 man both for the playoffs or something.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:34 AM   #77
Rookie

Pnflkc3's Arena

OVR: 1

When Heidi appears and they cut to someone on deck who is actually NOT on deck
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #78
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Plesac is the one who sounds like he's eating while he's talking. DeRo is the one who sounds like he's had too much sugar in his coffee.

A Work in Progress
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #79
Rookie

BlueSkies77's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Plesac is the one who sounds like he's eating while he's talking. DeRo is the one who sounds like he's had too much sugar in his coffee.
Thanks for that. I agree they sound like the same person, legit sounds like a two man booth 99% of the time.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #80
Rookie

Pnflkc3's Arena

OVR: 1

I know it’s a tough call but what’s the single worst/ most annoying line of “commentary” from either Pleasc or DeRosa?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »