Home

Worth the Upgrade?

This is a discussion on Worth the Upgrade? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Worth the Upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
since you're not much on baseball you probably would be better off w/19 IMO

but, by the way, I believe if you do indeed do take an instant shine to the sport, I think you'll find it very deep, especially since it would be your first Show, maybe daunting even, deep enough to keep you going until 21 comes out
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Not really

* new roster rules
* 3 batter min
* ability to create two way players
* real minor leaguers

Those are the biggest changes. The cpu is better at roster management as well

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
For an guy that's new to baseball isn't really important. There is alot to.learn what everything means. I started with MLB the show 12. One of the best sports game franchise out there
Old 06-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

If money is important I would recommend going with 19. MLBTS20 is my favorite but if you are new to the series and just looking for a bridge to Madden, 19 will serve you fine.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaito
If money is important I would recommend going with 19. MLBTS20 is my favorite but if you are new to the series and just looking for a bridge to Madden, 19 will serve you fine.
I can afford the £45 if I’m going to get the use out of it but it’s not as if money is no issue so I’m not looking to waste it.

Whilst I’m here, any recommendations for good teams to start my first franchise mode with? I’d like a team that I can rebuild into a contender. Maybe a couple of good starters but a relatively blank slate.

I’m a Colts and Pacers fan and I think Indiana tends to follow the Reds or the Cubs? I also have a bit of a soft spot for Seattle as a city so was also thinking about the Mariners.

I tend towards the plucky underdogs rather than the dominant dynasties so no Yankees or Red Sox. Maybe the Mets or the Padres?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I can afford the £45 if I’m going to get the use out of it but it’s not as if money is no issue so I’m not looking to waste it.

Whilst I’m here, any recommendations for good teams to start my first franchise mode with? I’d like a team that I can rebuild into a contender. Maybe a couple of good starters but a relatively blank slate.

I’m a Colts and Pacers fan and I think Indiana tends to follow the Reds or the Cubs? I also have a bit of a soft spot for Seattle as a city so was also thinking about the Mariners.

I tend towards the plucky underdogs rather than the dominant dynasties so no Yankees or Red Sox. Maybe the Mets or the Padres?
I've played with the Mariners quite a bit the last 10 years. always a fun team.

the Pirates would be a good NL pick if you don't want the American League's DH, you could even play some of their AAA teams games, which happens to be Indianapolis. plus Pirates PNC Park is one of the Show's highlights IMO

A Work in Progress
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #13
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Not really

* new roster rules
* 3 batter min
* real minor leaguers

Those are the biggest changes. The cpu is better at roster management as well

Gameplay? Hell yes. Hitting is worlds better on 20. Catcher play is far better as well. Overall a smoother game top to bottom.

Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampIsHere42
I have The Show 19 and looking for something to tie me over until Madden comes out. Just watching videos doesn’t look like much has changed since last year. Is it worth the upgrade?

Which modes do you think you will play?

Franchise has no real changes apart from being able to change a team’s city name and uniforms.

RTTS has had some cosmetic changes to the relationships system.

MTO has a much better trade system and team affinity points are earned over the season rather than if you win the World Series.

One thing that’s great across all of those modes is the on-screen info you get in an AB about the batter or pitcher is much more interesting.

There’s a new DD offline mode called showdown which is like Moments. Apparently just as frustrating.

Oh and custom leagues. If you want to play online without the random matchups, this is the way to go. Worth the buy if you’ve got a good league to join or create. Other than that it may not be worth the spend.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #15
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I don’t own an MLB game and am also looking for something to keep me going until Madden 21.

I’m a franchise mode player, and wouldn’t mind exploring baseball since I don’t know very about it at all. I’ve heard good things about the franchise mode on The Show, but I’m not looking to spend £45 for two months worth of gaming. Is the mode deep enough to keep me interested once Madden comes out?
I just picked one of your quotes to respond to you but I've read them all.

Something to keep in mind is Baseball has a lot of subtle but important differences from other sports. For example, draft picks cannot be traded.

Contracts and options can be particularly confusing to the new player. There are many, many rules surrounding contracts that can be a quagmire to the uninitiated.

There is something called the transaction handbook which helps clarify certain terms and rules in game, but don't be afraid to come to OS for further clarification, we can help you. The faster you learn all that stuff the sooner you can get to enjoying Franchise mode.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Not really

* new roster rules
* 3 batter min