Home

PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year?

This is a discussion on PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: PS5 and MLB20 is Smooth As Butter, But next Year?

Yeah, this is the million dollar question right now. For those of us who have now seen a version of The Show running virtually flawlessly at its highest settings, what happens when the graphics get taken up another level? Performance is almost certain to take a hit - the question is how much? Even a little bit of frame drop is going to stand out a lot to those of us who have played '20 on PS5.

2K still does 30 FPS in it's off-play scenes while maintaining 60 FPS in gameplay, in next-gen 2K21 from what I've seen - I really don't doubt it's going to be a similar situation with the next version of the Show. I'm just praying for no framerate issues during gameplay - that's always the main concern for me.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

To me, I think 4K 60FPS is now the standard moving forward, so to answer your question, yes, I think the game will be just as smooth in the MLB The Show 21 for PS5.

PS4 was never meant to run 4K 60FPS. The new console (PS5) is easily running the ‘Sharper’ mode. There’s plenty of room to grow with that power, it’s not like the PS5 is barely running MLB 20 at 60FPS.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:31 AM   #11
All Star

TNKNGM's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusaleen1
What TV are you using, I have a Sony 900e and with HDR on, my picture is considerably darker than with HDR off. I did not have this issue with my PS4 Pro? Any suggestions?
I had this 65" Sony 4k HDR TV and honestly the HDR sucked, I played with HDR off and any 4K content from Verizon FIOS with HDR looked dim and not good
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900c#page-top

I just bought this 65" LG OLED and oh my god the difference is absolutely night and day.....television shows, movies, 4K content and most impprtantly gaming is 100x better
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/bx-oled

I will never buy anything other than a LG in the near future.....the BX is the same as CX just has 2 HDMI 2.1 port instead of 4

If you want to get the right TV for PS5 - look here
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ps5
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

OVR: 0

don't forget PS5 is a beast. By experience, at our studio i can tell you it takes a good 2-3yrs to fully exploit all the tricks a console can deliver.

Current version is not optimized for a PS5. it is running in semi-emulation mode. Wait until we start to see a fully PS5 compiled version. See by example the first iterations of MLB on PS4 versus the last one. Day and night on same hardware.

I've seen some tech demo our team have done so far on the PS5 and can tell you I'm impressed. If some want an idea...Google for PS5 Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo

What is impressive with the PS5 is his built-in architecture and the efficiency of how the CPU-GPU and RAM is accessed. This is why right now our current game in dev is running smoother on PS5 vs the new Xbox.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #13
Rookie

It'll be interesting to see how the PS5 responds to actual 120Hz games when they start coming out. My worry is developers will over-engineer games just because they "can", similar to what's happened so far with every other next generation console.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

So far at least, the next-gen offerings that are already out use a "mixed frame rate" mode that allows gameplay to be 60 frames per second, but drops to 30 FPS in the cutscenes.

Watch this vid at 11:57 to basically the end if you want a very good explanation of what's happening. If you can't see it with your eyes, at least look at the numbers and the chart - it's a rare opportunity to see Digital Foundry doing their thing with a sports game. And, although this video only focuses on NBA, I've seen Madden and FIFA behave the same way regarding in-gameplay vs. cutscenes.

This is what I expect the Show to do as well as a tradeoff for next-gen level visuals, but I hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

Assuming they want to make cutscenes at 60fps I think '21 might have a leg up compared to the other sports titles. The other games needed to push out their titles close to launch of the next gen. So maybe corners were cut and dropping to 30 fps was the best option.

It would be nice if the cutscenes could be rendered in realtime without sacrificing performance though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #16
Rookie

I personally don't think you are going to see any major changes in The Show 21 but you will in The Show 22.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »