Home

Playstation Exclusivity.

This is a discussion on Playstation Exclusivity. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2022, 06:37 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Playstation Exclusivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I specifically didn't mention the Athletics because they were a poor comparison, but I think Nintendo is an even worse comparison.

They've got Scrooge McDuck pools of money and what seems like an active hatred of their consumers.
exactly. Nintendo doesn't have to play moneyball any more than Sam Walton had to drive around in an old beat up pickup truck. but they do it anyway. sometimes I think Nintendo doesn't want to be in an adult world

A Work in Progress
Old 01-26-2022, 02:05 AM   #10
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Sony has a good farm system. They know how to draft and develop players. Microsoft is the New York Yankees/LA Dodgers/Any team with deep pockets who spends big money on free agents. The majority of Sony's exclusives come from Sony studios built by Sony save for a few. We just have to see how this plays out in a few years.

I don't think the Show goes back to being exclusive. MLB wants the game on as many consoles as possible as this is the only licensed game and it looks bad when your only licensed game is a console exclusive. Video games also attract a lot of young people an area where MLB is struggling and to shut out half of them is bad. Now this would be a different story if there were still other companies out there like in the early 2000s when we had a bunch of companies making games and competing against each other but unfortunately those days are gone and not coming back for now unless EA and 2K decide to get back in and if they do they gotta hope people like their games and it would also take years for them to develop a game that's decent enough that can compete with The Show and can sell copies.

Also Microsoft has had the rights to High Heat since 2003...

Last edited by zello144; 01-26-2022 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #11
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Bethesda is a studio in rapid decline.Operation Sports mobile app
This is just not true. They've expanded ten fold over the last decade. Studios in, "rapid decline," do not do this. However, you may be able to make an argument about being out of touch with the fanbase/consumers. Especially with things like Fallout 76. I don't know if you're referring specifically to Bethesda Game Studios or Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda Game Studios has always been the bread-winner of Bethesda Softworks. I think Starfiled will be the game that will answer if they're in or out of touch with the fan base. BGS has always been my favorite developer and while I was unhappy they chose to do Fallout 76, I wasn't surprised. If, somehow, Starfield doesn't live up to expectations and is filled with microtransactions, then I'd agree, BGS has lost touch completely. However, I think they're going to be returning to their roots to some degree, in that it will be a big, story-driven, single player, open world RGP. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I was fooled with Cyberpunk by CDPR, hopefully I won't be fooled with Starfield.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
This is just not true. They've expanded ten fold over the last decade. Studios in, "rapid decline," do not do this. However, you may be able to make an argument about being out of touch with the fanbase/consumers. Especially with things like Fallout 76. I don't know if you're referring specifically to Bethesda Game Studios or Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda Game Studios has always been the bread-winner of Bethesda Softworks. I think Starfiled will be the game that will answer if they're in or out of touch with the fan base. BGS has always been my favorite developer and while I was unhappy they chose to do Fallout 76, I wasn't surprised. If, somehow, Starfield doesn't live up to expectations and is filled with microtransactions, then I'd agree, BGS has lost touch completely. However, I think they're going to be returning to their roots to some degree, in that it will be a big, story-driven, single player, open world RGP. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I was fooled with Cyberpunk by CDPR, hopefully I won't be fooled with Starfield.
I guess I did write that a bit wrong. I meant declining from a creative/consumer friendliness standpoint, not a financial standpoint, one decline is often followed by the other though.

The big thing that gets under my skin was the complete mishandling of paid mods. They turned something that should have been fantastic for them, creators, and people new to the modding scene, and instead turned it into a massive cash grab that was incredibly scummy and made the experience of modding objectively worse.

Fallout 76 just seemed like a continuation of that same short-sighted, trend persuing without cause nonsense. No company has fallen so fast in my estimation and faith as them*.

*With the exception of companies that made illegal or should be illegal actions

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10

With Sony bringing more of their first party games to PC (and selling pretty well I might add), I'm really hoping the bring The Show since there isn't a modern baseball simulation available on the platform. Don't get me wrong, SMB is great in its own right, but The Show would be on a whole other level...especially given the endless possibilities modding could allow.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:06 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
With Microsoft's acquisition of Activision and Blizzard, on top of Bethesda Softworks, it would seem that they are well ahead of Sony in regards to future libraries of exclusive games. With that being said, I'm surprised that Sony hasn't moved to make games like The Show exclusive (as they have been until last year). Has there been any suggestion that The Show will move back to Playstation exclusivity?
The Show was exclusive but Microsoft leveraged MLB to force Sony to expand. I have no doubt the reason it took several months to patch manage mode franchise games crashing is because they were forced to expand and include the extra platforms.

Money talks and Microsoft has a lot of it.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
The Show was exclusive but Microsoft leveraged MLB to force Sony to expand. I have no doubt the reason it took several months to patch manage mode franchise games crashing is because they were forced to expand and include the extra platforms.

Money talks and Microsoft has a lot of it.
I didn't get the feeling Sony minded expanding this particular brand (the Show) into other consoles given that compared to Madden and NBA2K sales, the Show could never compete with them until they doubled their sales to come more into line with Madden and NBA2K sales. I felt like the Show invading enemy territory and nixing RBI before it could develop meaningful competition with the Show was a major accomplishment for Sony. a win-win-win for MLB, Sony and Microsoft. the real loser in all of this was RBI IMO

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2022, 05:32 PM   #16
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
a win-win-win for MLB, Sony and Microsoft. the real loser in all of this was RBI IMO
RBI and Franchise players ;-)

But on the long term, more consoles, more sales, bigger dev budget, we can only win.

I’m expecting more than a Depth Chart this year tho.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »