Home

Playstation Exclusivity.

This is a discussion on Playstation Exclusivity. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Playstation Exclusivity.

With Microsoft's acquisition of Activision and Blizzard, on top of Bethesda Softworks, it would seem that they are well ahead of Sony in regards to future libraries of exclusive games. With that being said, I'm surprised that Sony hasn't moved to make games like The Show exclusive (as they have been until last year). Has there been any suggestion that The Show will move back to Playstation exclusivity?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Playstation Exclusivity.

No and there will not be, unless something drastic changes with the MLB.

MLB approached SDS about making the game available on multiple platforms (Xbox, Nintendo, PC??) as part of the licensing agreement. MLB wanted the franchise to reach more gamers/baseball fans.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 01-24-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
MVP

Archie56's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
With Microsoft's acquisition of Activision and Blizzard, on top of Bethesda Softworks, it would seem that they are well ahead of Sony in regards to future libraries of exclusive games. With that being said, I'm surprised that Sony hasn't moved to make games like The Show exclusive (as they have been until last year). Has there been any suggestion that The Show will move back to Playstation exclusivity?
Yeah that's not going to happen. There's no way that the year after they go multiplat, they go back to being exclusive. MLB wanted the game to reach more people and forced Sony's hand to release it on Xbox as well. Having baseball reach more gamers is a win win for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
No and there will not be, unless something drastic changes with the MLB.

MLB approached SDS about making the game available on multiple platforms (Xbox, Nintendo, PC??) as part of the licensing agreement. MLB wanted the franchise to reach more gamers/baseball fans.
That makes sense. I never knew that this initiated from the MLB side. The Show was always my system seller in regards to Playstations over XBox's. Prior to The Show (during the MVP days) I was always an XBox guy. I'd still prefer an XBox over a Playstation but I have a beefy PC, so having that as well as an XBox is kind of pointless.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 01-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

On top of the "this is a licensing agreement thing" already mentioned in the thread, I think people are making a more of a deal out of this situation than they should.

I thought the Bethesda deal was bad. Bethesda is a studio in rapid decline. It's possible a new IP can turn things around there but the recent history of Bethesda shows a game studio out of touch with it's fanbase and rapidly sinking into the hole of anti-consumerism. They never really were consumer friendly with their DLC model, but that was spreading to places it shouldn't have, like how they implemented paid mods: they could only be purchased using Bethesda bucks, creators got a pittance of the profits, and front-ending the implementation meant that every time they updated the game with new paid mods, they broke the (much better) free mods.

Fallout 76 just continued the trend of terrible decisions. The IP and brand name is strong, but I felt most of the modern value of Bethesda was in the Id Software and Arkane studios.

In terms of overpaying for a declining studio though, the ABK purchase obliterates the Bethesda one. Most of the value is in the IPs, with the exception of King. Most people agree that even Blizzard was in decline, and that's before considering the legal and image trouble it's mired in.

Add all that on top of the fact that Microsoft has a terrible track record for managing studios and actually producing games, and I really don't think this acquisition is anything to get excited about. Even their recent stuff; Forza Horizon 5 is good, but riddled with some major bugs and 3 months in is still nowhere near what was advertised, and Halo Infinite, while having really good gameplay, has a no-effort story set in a single biome and the multiplayer servers are some of the worst I've ever seen in recent history.

I don't think Sony has as much to worry about as people are making out. I hope I'm wrong, I hope Microsoft really turns these studios around and ushers in a new golden age of gaming with games pass, and forces more competitive pressure on Sony, but even if they do, I don't think Sony changes the game plan much.

Microsoft is the New York Yankees, and you can't out New York Yankees the New York Yankees. Sony's playing Moneyball.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 01-25-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
On top of the "this is a licensing agreement thing" already mentioned in the thread, I think people are making a more of a deal out of this situation than they should.

I thought the Bethesda deal was bad. Bethesda is a studio in rapid decline. It's possible a new IP can turn things around there but the recent history of Bethesda shows a game studio out of touch with it's fanbase and rapidly sinking into the hole of anti-consumerism. They never really were consumer friendly with their DLC model, but that was spreading to places it shouldn't have, like how they implemented paid mods: they could only be purchased using Bethesda bucks, creators got a pittance of the profits, and front-ending the implementation meant that every time they updated the game with new paid mods, they broke the (much better) free mods.

Fallout 76 just continued the trend of terrible decisions. The IP and brand name is strong, but I felt most of the modern value of Bethesda was in the Id Software and Arkane studios.

In terms of overpaying for a declining studio though, the ABK purchase obliterates the Bethesda one. Most of the value is in the IPs, with the exception of King. Most people agree that even Blizzard was in decline, and that's before considering the legal and image trouble it's mired in.

Add all that on top of the fact that Microsoft has a terrible track record for managing studios and actually producing games, and I really don't think this acquisition is anything to get excited about. Even their recent stuff; Forza Horizon 5 is good, but riddled with some major bugs and 3 months in is still nowhere near what was advertised, and Halo Infinite, while having really good gameplay, has a no-effort story set in a single biome and the multiplayer servers are some of the worst I've ever seen in recent history.

I don't think Sony has as much to worry about as people are making out. I hope I'm wrong, I hope Microsoft really turns these studios around and ushers in a new golden age of gaming with games pass, and forces more competitive pressure on Sony, but even if they do, I don't think Sony changes the game plan much.

Microsoft is the New York Yankees, and you can't out New York Yankees the New York Yankees. Sony's playing Moneyball.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Or to summarize this even more succinctly....Microsoft is the NYY from the 1980s - early-90s.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Microsoft may very well be the Yankees but Sony ain't Moneyball.
there is Microsoft and there is Sony.
then there is fifty foot of crap.
and then there is Nintendo playing Moneyball

A Work in Progress
Old 01-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Microsoft may very well be the Yankees but Sony ain't Moneyball.
there is Microsoft and there is Sony.
then there is fifty foot of crap.
and then there is Nintendo playing Moneyball
I specifically didn't mention the Athletics because they were a poor comparison, but I think Nintendo is an even worse comparison.

They've got Scrooge McDuck pools of money and what seems like an active hatred of their consumers.

Some sauce on the money thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearn...ney_that_they/

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 01-25-2022 at 06:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »