Home

Old 05-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #3745
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: MMA Off-Topic

I was disappointed when UFC let Jimmy Smith go, but I'm really happy that he's branched out into other things like Youtube, his podcast, etc. I was always a big fan of him in Bellator, so getting to hear his thoughts in more depth has been awesome. Glad to see how quickly things have taken off for him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #3746
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Just fast forward to around 10:30. Seeing Paulie with the microphone move is killing me right now. I don't really have much interest in the bare-knuckle stuff, but I will definitely watch this one. Everything leading up to this has been hilarious to me.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #3747
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles

Just fast forward to around 10:30. Seeing Paulie with the microphone move is killing me right now. I don't really have much interest in the bare-knuckle stuff, but I will definitely watch this one. Everything leading up to this has been hilarious to me.
I'll likely tune in to see what happens in that fight as well. I'm not into the BK stuff, but this fight intrigues me.

I was just reading that ONE Championship has strict hydration rules so that fighters are essentially fighting at their walk-around weight.
I wish every combat sport utilized this rule.
Sage is typically fighting at 155 and 170, but in this bout he's at 185. Sure tells you a lot about how much these guys cut to gain an advantage.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #3748
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

PFL killed itself by getting in bed with the terrorist and now signing all these wrestlers and most of them foreign. They need to give 1 point for wins where all you do is lay on someone. Last night's card had too much lay and pray going on.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #3749
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles

Man this was funny as hell lol. Some really entertaining stuff. I'll be watching for sure too just cuz of the bad blood these guys have.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #3750
Pro

Joe Benavidez’s grappling is very good. He’s extremely under appreciated and underrated in my opinion.

I was going on a fight binge the other day, watching a bunch of Benavidez fights, and damn his scrambling ability is incredible. He’s never in a bad position for more than a few seconds. BJJ just does not seem to work on him, as his record shows.

And I know, there’s a lot of BW/FW fighters who have good scrambling ability. But Joe B really stands out from them because of how dominant he is once he gets a good position.

Some highlights from his career:

- Wagney Fabiano, high level BJJ black belt in WEC. Benavidez came out on top in every grappling scramble. At one point Fabiano secured side control... Benavidez just rolls him over, grabs his neck, and guillotines him.

- Miguel Torres. I believe he’s a 5th degree black belt under carlson gracie. Benavidez completely shrugged off his grappling and eventually guillotined him, granted he had battered him with strikes first.

- Jussier Formiga. Just wow. Especially when you consider that Jussier is arguably the most effective fighter at using BJJ right now in that division, and he’s been on a roll lately, beating guys like Sergio Pettis. Formiga had Joe’s back in the second round, Benavidez just scrambles right out. Safely stays in Formiga’s guard for a minute, shutting down an arm triangle attempt. Eventually gets the finish.

Last edited by Good Grappler; 07-03-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #3751
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Yh lot's of the smaller guys scramble really well, but Joe B's always been a great scrambler. It's hard to keep him trapped...especially when he's fresh. He's a really underrated guy and I feel he has a decent chance at beating Cejudo again and winning the title. That said, how about UFC 239? Two titles on the line...the card is STACKED. We got a main card full of fights that could have easily been main or co-main events. Jones/Santos, Holm/Nunes, Askren/Masvidal, Rockhold/Jan, ect. Who you got in those fights?

Last edited by WarMMA; 07-03-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #3752
Pro

I’m most stoked for the Askren fight and always will be so long as he’s undefeated. But man, that Rockhold fight is fascinating as well. I keep forgetting about that one.

As we all know, 205 is very weak right now. You look at the top 10, and it’s just filled with unimpressive names. Oezdemir, Reyes, Smith, Latifi, Santos. I’ve felt for a long time that an elite middleweight could come up and cut right through those names. I don’t know if Rockhold’s gonna be the guy, but he damn well could be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »