Home

Penn accuses GSP of using steroids

This is a discussion on Penn accuses GSP of using steroids within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #49

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Penn accuses GSP of using steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Assumptions? How do you know if I have or have not met anyone including Penn? I think you are making assumptions
Gee, I dont know, I guess if you had then you might have said something along those lines instead of trying to be so secretive about it while not verifying nor denying what I said.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #50

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Why? How does fighting a guy give someone insight into whether or not that guy uses steroids? Seriously.

It's like you're trying to back-door that there might be some evidence involved. Like since BJ's fought him he could tell he was on steroids. Or since BJ's in the sport he's heard things from reliable sources.

But BJ himself said he has no evidence.

And the reason people have gotten on BJ about this is because allegations like these are toxic. If an athlete nowadays gets the stigma of using steroids, that sticks, and that tarnishes that athlete's legacy (not to mention the numerous financial ramifications i.e. fewer sponsorships, endorsements, etc.). And for BJ to just throw around allegations like these, even when he himself has said he has zero evidence, it's ridiculously irresponsible, and he deserves every ounce of **** he catches for it.
I cant argue this, as a huge BJ Penn fan I really was disgusted with the **** he was throwing out there. You cant just go around making wild accusations against guys, especially a steroid accusation, without some sort of proof. He really f'd up on this one and really needs to just apologize for the comments and move on. Now do I think that will happen? Hell no, but it needs to happen imo.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
1. Penn did hurt his ribs in that fight with Hughes and it was shown all over the internet in various forums with photo evidence to back it up.

2. The first time GSP fought Penn it went to a decision so its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that he felt he won, just the same as GSP probably felt he won. How can you possibly hold it against Penn when he felt he won that decision, there are people online who feel the same way. Now if this was a 5 round massacre and he still said that then I would understand but it wasnt.

3. The entire Pulver thing being brought up is a damn joke. Pulver beat him back when he was young and on the rise, he got beat and he wanted to get some revenge on the guy that beat him, what the hell is wrong with that? Penn isnt the first guy to be vocal about wanting to beat a guy who had beaten him previously, didnt Rampage and Chuck get into this as well? Shamrock and Tito? Arlovski and Sylvia? Most recently Lesnar and Mir? Nobody gives a **** until Penn's name is involved and then suddenly its a problem I guess.

4. Cant argue with the whole GSP and vaseline angle as I thought it was a riduclous claim so cant say much to defend him here.

With all that being said, you sure as hell sound like someone who doesnt like Penn and is just finding anything you can to pile on.
1) I'm sure he did hurt his ribs.

That doesn't mean that he didn't use the injury as an excuse. A lot of guy have hurt themselves and lost fights. Some guys don't bring up the injury at all, because after all, injuries come with the territory. But most bring it up, but still have the decency not to use it as the reason they lost and still say the other guy beat them. Not Penn, though.

2) Penn very well could have thought he won that fight.

That doesn't mean that he didn't use the judging as an excuse. A lot of guys have lost close decisions. Most have the decency to say they thought they won, but it was a close fight, and that's what happens when you let a fight go to the judges. Not Penn, though.

3) The Pulver thing is brought up because he literally developed a personal hatred for almost no other reason than because Pulver beat him. Sure, Pulver talked a bit, but everyone talks a bit before fights. But since Penn lost that one, instead of it being water under the bridge, he literally harbored a hatred for the guy for five years, a hatred that he didn't relinquish until the exact moment he choked him out in their rematch.

That's much different than a guy merely wanting to avenge a loss.

Any one or even maybe two of these things, the Pulver situation, the injury, the decision, the vaseline, the steroids, one or two, ok, he's human, he's frustrated. But all of these things? Having an excuse at the ready after every loss? Come on. It's ridiculous.

And yeah, I don't especially like Penn. But that's largely because of the steroids thing. I was fine with him being a whiny bitch after losses, he's otherwise a pretty funny, level-headed guy. But then the steroids thing? It's just ridiculous. You want to be a whiny bitch? Fine. But to start trying to tarnish another athlete with literally baseless accusations? Why would I like that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #52

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
1) I'm sure he did hurt his ribs.

That doesn't mean that he didn't use the injury as an excuse. A lot of guy have hurt themselves and lost fights. Some guys don't bring up the injury at all, because after all, injuries come with the territory. But most bring it up, but still have the decency not to use it as the reason they lost and still say the other guy beat them. Not Penn, though.

2) Penn very well could have thought he won that fight.

That doesn't mean that he didn't use the judging as an excuse. A lot of guys have lost close decisions. Most have the decency to say they thought they won, but it was a close fight, and that's what happens when you let a fight go to the judges. Not Penn, though.

3) The Pulver thing is brought up because he literally developed a personal hatred for almost no other reason than because Pulver beat him. Sure, Pulver talked a bit, but everyone talks a bit before fights. But since Penn lost that one, instead of it being water under the bridge, he literally harbored a hatred for the guy for five years, a hatred that he didn't relinquish until the exact moment he choked him out in their rematch.

That's much different than a guy merely wanting to avenge a loss.

Any one or even maybe two of these things, the Pulver situation, the injury, the decision, the vaseline, the steroids, one or two, ok, he's human, he's frustrated. But all of these things? Having an excuse at the ready after every loss? Come on. It's ridiculous.

And yeah, I don't especially like Penn. But that's largely because of the steroids thing. I was fine with him being a whiny bitch after losses, he's otherwise a pretty funny, level-headed guy. But then the steroids thing? It's just ridiculous. You want to be a whiny bitch? Fine. But to start trying to tarnish another athlete with literally baseless accusations? Why would I like that?
Let me start by saying I think Penn gets more heat then most other fighters, if he says anything then hes making excuses yet if someone else says anything then hes a tough guy for finishing the fight. People dislike Faber because hes cocky, he loses a rematch with Mike Brown thanks to two broken hands and nobody says a word other then how tough he is. Penn loses and says he has broken ribs which messed with his breathing and suddenly hes complaining. Whats the difference? Why does Penn say something and its interpreted one way and someone else says something and its taken in a completely different way?

1. Penn broke his ribs, it effected his breathing and his cardio, which was suspect at best then as it is, and he lost the fight. Did he go on some nationwide tour talking about it? No, he simply said what happened.

2. Who cares what tact a guy takes? Rampage bitched for months that he thought he won the decision against Griffin but I guess because he bitched and then ended it with a similar line like you mentioned above suddenly its ok? Hes ultra competitive, hates losing and thought he won, I really dont see why this really seems to effect people as much as it does.

3. The Pulver thing is just dumb to me. So he hated the guy, who gives a ****? Guys hype themselves up with all types of random crap. Does it really matter if Penn hated Pulver heading into their rematch or loved the guy? Again, hes ultra competitive and felt that Pulver lucked into that win and he came back to get some type of revenge on him, nothing more imo. Hell, Pulver wanted to train with Penn after the fight so apparently it didnt effect him nearly as much as it seems to have effected some people here.

In the end I dont have a problem with most of what Penn has done in the past. I didnt respect his licking blood off of an opponents face after beating him nor the current steroids bs that he started but everything else is perfectly fine by me.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Let me start by saying I think Penn gets more heat then most other fighters, if he says anything then hes making excuses yet if someone else says anything then hes a tough guy for finishing the fight. People dislike Faber because hes cocky, he loses a rematch with Mike Brown thanks to two broken hands and nobody says a word other then how tough he is. Penn loses and says he has broken ribs which messed with his breathing and suddenly hes complaining. Whats the difference? Why does Penn say something and its interpreted one way and someone else says something and its taken in a completely different way?
Largely because of their histories. I don't recall Faber making any excuses after the first time Brown beat him. Penn, on the other hand, has a history of making excuses.

Like I said, once or twice, fine. That can be overlooked. But there's been something every single time. That's why Penn doesn't get any slack. If he were to just own up to something, he'd start to earn some back. In fact, on the countdown show, he did earn some back by finally admitting that he just got beat up against GSP the second time, that he quit after the second round, offering up no excuses. But then he immediately destroyed that goodwill by accusing GSP of using steroids a couple days later. One step forward, two steps back.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #54
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Gee, I dont know, I guess if you had then you might have said something along those lines instead of trying to be so secretive about it while not verifying nor denying what I said.
Lol, no secret here. I have been in the MMA scene for close to 4 years. I train at a gym that regularly has many of the top MMA guys around the world coming in to help train us........including BJ! With that said, I have met GSP also and I still don't believe anyone should be trying to tarnish anyone's reputation without FACTS. It is reckless and unnecessary. Now instead of us getting into a pissing match about silly stuff such as who you met = credibility, maybe we should get back on topic and stick to the facts. Facts are....BJ realized he shouldn't have said it and now he has to face that criticism and move on.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #55
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Let me start by saying I think Penn gets more heat then most other fighters, if he says anything then hes making excuses yet if someone else says anything then hes a tough guy for finishing the fight.
BJ takes more heat cause BJ lets his mouth move without thinking. Vaseline, steroids, ect.........what is that? Not the first time BJ has gone the controversial route and I agree he is not alone. Look at Brock turning the UFC into a WWE event. Rampage was humbled and I really do think BJ is humbled by losing the way he did against GSP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #56

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Lol, no secret here. I have been in the MMA scene for close to 4 years. I train at a gym that regularly has many of the top MMA guys around the world coming in to help train us........including BJ! With that said, I have met GSP also and I still don't believe anyone should be trying to tarnish anyone's reputation without FACTS. It is reckless and unnecessary. Now instead of us getting into a pissing match about silly stuff such as who you met = credibility, maybe we should get back on topic and stick to the facts. Facts are....BJ realized he shouldn't have said it and now he has to face that criticism and move on.
I love it, you were the first one to stray down this path with your, and I quote, "I guess he has met BJ Penn so that makes him more credible.", so what exactly were you getting at then? I find it comical when someone makes a comment, has it turned against them and then they suddenly want everyone to stay on topic when they were the ones responsible for getting it off topic in the first place. Heres a fact, whether or not you met the guy makes no difference, therefore whether or not the other poster has met him makes no difference either so your sarcastic comment about him doesnt make any sense and is "silly" as you say.

Again, I already voiced my opinion on the entire BJ Penn steroid talk so when you feel like reading it, get back to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »