Home

Strikeforce: Henderson v. Shields (April)

This is a discussion on Strikeforce: Henderson v. Shields (April) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Strikeforce: Henderson v. Shields (April)

eventhough Hendo is a Greco guy he has a tendency to get taken down by not so spectacular wrestlers. Shield might get him to the ground and work his subs
Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #50
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

I find the main event to be incredibly interesting for reasons beyond the actual fight. Shields is a FA after this fight and I dont think I've ever seen an active champion in one major promotion vacate a belt to move another promotion. Also, I heard that SF has a "champions clause" that extends each champions contract a year if they are holding on to the belt at the end of their championship. If thats true, it may actually benefit Shields to lose if it means he becomes a FA earlier.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I find the main event to be incredibly interesting for reasons beyond the actual fight. Shields is a FA after this fight and I dont think I've ever seen an active champion in one major promotion vacate a belt to move another promotion. Also, I heard that SF has a "champions clause" that extends each champions contract a year if they are holding on to the belt at the end of their championship. If thats true, it may actually benefit Shields to lose if it means he becomes a FA earlier.
Didn't Penn leave for Japan when he was the WW champ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #52
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
Didn't Penn leave for Japan when he was the WW champ?
You are right. This would be the first time its happened in the US.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 14

KJ Noons wants the winner of Aoki/Melendez.

The SF lightweight division is shaping up nicely.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #54
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Is Shields interested in the UFC, or does Strikeforce pay him a lot more because he's one of their big name talents?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #55
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Is Shields interested in the UFC, or does Strikeforce pay him a lot more because he's one of their big name talents?
Dana wants Shields. Shields hasnt lost since 2004 and if he beats Hendo he adds another top name to the list of people he's beat (Lawler, Daley, "Mayhem" Miller, Okami, Condit)

Check out Dana's comments about Shields:

On Henderson vs. Shields: "Dan Henderson is fighting [expletive] Jake Shields. Come on. Are you serious? Jake Shields is 170 pounds, and he's their (185-pound) champion. And I just found out today that they're running commercials on [CBS], and the commercials are like three seconds, and it basically says, 'MMA legend Dan Henderson,' and he hits a heavy bag, I guess, and looks back at the camera. That's the [expletive] commercial. How about, 'Jake Shields is our [expletive] champion'?"

On Why Strikeforce Made The Fight: "Jake Shields is on the last fight of his contract, so they're feeding him to Dan Henderson right now because they want to get rid of him because he's going to go away, or they're going to have to pay him some big money to stick around or whatever the deal is," White said. "'We're paying more money to Dan Henderson than we can afford already, so let's get Jake's *** kicked by Dan Henderson and get rid of Jake Shields.' It's such [expletive] bush-league [expletive], and you guys know it. They're a [expletive] [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]joke[/color][/color]. Showtime's always been a joke with all their sports programming, and this is no different."

Does The UFC Want Jake Shields?: "If Jake Shields could pull that off, that would be incredible, and good for him," White said. "He's going to get paid because what's going to happen is we would love to take him from there, and I'm sure they'd love him to stick around. I will help drive that [expletive] number right up through the roof and let the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Showtime[/color][/color] boys pay him a lot of money so that Jake can stick it right up their ***. 'I just choked out Dan Henderson, and now you [expletives] are going to pay me for trying to [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]stick [COLOR=blue !important]it[/color][/color][/color] up my ***. I'm going to stick it up yours.'"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 14

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »