Home

UFC 118 - Edgar/Penn II

This is a discussion on UFC 118 - Edgar/Penn II within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #41
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: UFC 118 - Edgar/Penn II

I'm not a big fan of Couture but I hope he beats Toney. The rumour is that Toney has an out clause in his contract after just 1 fight. If he beats Couture he could never fight another MMA fight again and just brag about how he proved Boxers are better than MMA fighters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #42
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
I cant wait for this night, hopefully Penn gets his title back and does it in spectacular fashion. I really hope Randy just destroys Toney and makes him quit in that fight as I dont want to see an onslaught of washed up boxers suddenly thinking they can hop into the UFC and compete with the best the UFC has to offer.
Lol 100% agree with you on hoping Randy destroy him. I would love to see Randy drop him standing, then finish him, just to rub it in. Toney has a punchers chance, thats about it.
Thats cool that King Mo says he submitted him, but Randy has great sub defense, and i would quit watcing mma if Toney subbed him.
I would like to see Edgar keep the belt, but i think he is going to get dominated by BJ.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
I'm not a big fan of Couture but I hope he beats Toney. The rumour is that Toney has an out clause in his contract after just 1 fight. If he beats Couture he could never fight another MMA fight again and just brag about how he proved Boxers are better than MMA fighters.
Why would UFC agree to this?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #44
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
Why would UFC agree to this?
I'm guessing they think Toney will attract PPV buys and lose to Couture plus they would release him after he gets defeated for the first time anyways.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

That's a big risk though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #46

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Lol 100% agree with you on hoping Randy destroy him. I would love to see Randy drop him standing, then finish him, just to rub it in. Toney has a punchers chance, thats about it.
Thats cool that King Mo says he submitted him, but Randy has great sub defense, and i would quit watcing mma if Toney subbed him.
I would like to see Edgar keep the belt, but i think he is going to get dominated by BJ.
Take it with a grain of salt. Toney also said that he subbed Dean Lister in training to which apparently Lister called Couture personally and told him that hes never even trained with the guy. Personally I think its all some lame *** attempt by Toney to try and somehow "scare" Randy into keeping it standing instead due to some ridiculous fear of Toney's newfound sub skills. The fact that Toney is resorting to this tells me that he hasnt done **** on the ground and is going to get steamrolled but he still has a punchers chance I suppose.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #47
Pro

BiggestKJ's Arena

OVR: 10

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/201...nn/index.shtml

Really hard to argue with Penn here.

I think it was a nice "sleeze" job by Edgar and his corner by riding on that 5th round momentum and picking up the eventual champ.

50-45 and 49-46 in favor of Edgar was a complete joke, honestly, and almost everyone who watched that fight knew that. Even Dana knew that, prompting a quick rematch ala Shogun/Machida.

Here are a few things from the last fight:
1. BJ didn't look himself and looked rather out of shape, unlike Diego/Florian. No motivation, tired, and sluggish

2. Even in that state, BJ Penn was still able to outstrike Edgar in the first three rounds.

3. Edgar had a lot of pep in his step, however, this was not a dancing contest and I wasn't very impressed at all. Great cardio, poor performance.

4. A lot of people mentioned he took down BJ twice. Well, 1 was a slip, The second was legit. However, 1 out of 13 is a 7% success rate and 11 stuffs easily trump 1 takedown in my book.

5. When Edgar took BJ down, he managed to do absolutely nothing. Which leads me to believe that he knew he had no chance to stand toe to toe with BJ and just be content to score points.

Which BJ Penn will show up? Either one is dangerous for Edgar. Edgar "unofficially" lost that fight to an out of shape Penn and will definitely lose to the same Penn that obliterated Diego/Florian. Edgar won't be able to use the same strategy as last time and hope the judges giftwrap a victory to him.

BJ in the third by TKO or Sub
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 10

While I agree that after a re-watch that Penn won, 48-47 Edgar in real-time didn't seem so farfetched. Yes, 50-45 Edgar and 49-46 Edgar seemed ridiculous, even in real-time, the scores to me don't mean that much as long as they get the winner right. I remember watching it real time and thinking that Frankie won 48-47. Now, I say that BJ won 48-47 or 49-48 (since the 4th round could be seen as a 10-10). The first two rounds definitely went to BJ, the last two rounds went to Edgar in real time for me.

BJ's point about "stealing the win" holds no merit anyway. While Frankie's corner was carrying and parading him around the Octagon, the judges' scorecard was already sent in. The judges can't rescind the first 4 rounds of their scorecards just because Frankie was being carried around. Not like the judges scored all the rounds for BJ in the beginning and then ran up and erased their scorecard once they saw Frankie being lifted around.

BJ looked out of shape, indeed. I believe that he stopped training with Marinovich before the fight which explained his lackluster cardio.

However, your point about BJ being taken down: who has taken down BJ (recently) besides GSP? Diego must've tried a billion times to get it to the mat. Kenny Florian tried adopting GSP's clinch game. Sherk tried a few times, I think (not quite sure, it's been a while since I watched that fight). BJ's takedown defense is damn near legendary. Yes, he didn't do much with his takedown, but the mere fact that he got BJ down is very, very impressive. Also, Frankie's takedown was in the 5th, and Frankie would've won the 5th round with or without the takedown.

Edgar can easily use his speed and boxing to win another decision if BJ is content to jab away at Edgar. You make it sound like Frankie did nothing in that fight (he even cut BJ slightly) and should be privileged to even be in there with BJ with how easily you dismiss everything that Frankie did.

But, yes, in the end, BJ will take back his belt. I can't ever bet against BJ at 155. Frankie is game as hell and won't lie down for him though. BJ's going to have to take it from him and not just think that Edgar will roll over and die.

Last edited by XFactah416; 08-13-2010 at 03:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »