Home

GSP talking retirement...

This is a discussion on GSP talking retirement... within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
GSP talking retirement...

Relax relax, he says it's not happening just yet. But he laid out his goals and his last goal is to become P4p best. Once he is considered P4p best, he said there is nothing more to achieve and he will retire. He also says he wont be going up to fight Anderson Silva anytime soon, at least not till the end of his career because it would then be too hard to come back down in weight (which wouldnt be a bad thing IMO since he's cleaned out that division).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...tirement_Silva
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: GSP talking retirement...

^^^

nice to wait till the end of you career to fight silva...when silva will be 41. Grow some balls GSP

until he fights Silva or some other big name, he'll never be consuidered p4p like that

Last edited by phillyfan23; 07-15-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
^^^

nice to wait till the end of you career to fight silva...when silva will be 41. Grow some balls GSP

until he fights Silva or some other big name, he'll never be consuidered p4p like that
Yeah, forget that he is one of the most dominant fighters in mma history.

Until he takes his undersized frame up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva we won't even consider him being p4p best ever.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
Yeah, forget that he is one of the most dominant fighters in mma history.

Until he takes his undersized frame up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva we won't even consider him being p4p best ever.

Especially when you consider GSP dominates a more talented division.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfan
Especially when you consider GSP dominates a more talented division.
that's my argument. What division is more stacked than WW in MMA?

I want Hardy vs Alves ... i think that's the fight fans want to see. I'd also like both of them to fight Anthony Johnson. In fact, I'd also like to see Hardy vs Koscheck. It's a VERY deep division, but GSP should try to move up. I understand his points though, truly. He has no fat, he's 5'10" and as we progress more into the future, each division will keep getting bigger and bigger dudes in it. Think of the height and reach disadvantage he'll have at 185. I guess he needs a disadvantage though since he just plows through top level fighters.

He has a point though, if he wants to go back down it would be extremely difficult with his build. Either that or he'll have to put on fat which might comporomise his cardio.

I want to see that fight though, and think he's got a better chance than anyone south of HW. In fact I would pick him to win as long as he prep's correctly and isn't afraid to stand at least a little. I've always thought since the Serra fight that he himself underrates his standing attack which is too bad. I think he would have made Hardy look silly on the feet if he chose to fight standing the entire way. HE's just too fast and too accurate and his technique is immaculate.

If you look at that rare 1-2 he put on hardy after slipping a punch it was lightning fast and even more impressive is that even in super slow-mo his technique was picture perfect. When jabbing his shoulder covered his jaw with the back hand tucked right where it should be and when he let the straight go his lead hand snapped right back into perfect position.

IMO only of course he could be a pro boxer, kickboxer whatever...With his crazy wrestling though added to that he has the tools to beat Anderson (and lets not forget about his top-shelf jiu jitzu).

Yes I'm a fan, but I'm also a fan of many other fighters and know how to dissect them all. Belcher for example I love his fights, but he's too slow and his technique isn't crisp enough for Anderson. In fact he's defficient in many areas for a guy like that, but he does have never-ending confidence which is great against a guy like silva, but unfortunately he doesnt have the tools, and never will, to beat him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

I would LOVE to see Hardy vs. Alves. I would LOVE to see Alves knock him out.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Pro

BiggestKJ's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
that's my argument. What division is more stacked than WW in MMA?
The LHW Division. Count the number of former/current title holders and you'd have your answer Rashad, Lyoto, Rampage, Rua, Forest.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestKJ
The LHW Division. Count the number of former/current title holders and you'd have your answer Rashad, Lyoto, Rampage, Rua, Forest.
To me that just means it's more of an even playing field, but I think the depth of talent is larger in the WW division. No doubt LHW is deep though either...I just happen to believe WW is more. In fact, no division is weak to me, not even HW (although it may be the weakest)

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »